PDA

View Full Version : Is Facebook killing the Internet

Mudderoy
05-13-2016, 02:36 PM
Who remembers AOL? They were trying to, and perhaps for a short time, corner the Internet. They made people think that AOL was the Internet!

Forums, like this one, are losing users. Slowly they are going away, but to where? Facebook? Well some are. Facebook allows you to create a page which can be somewhat similar to a website.

What do you think? Are you more of a Facebook person or forums? Why do you like Facebook over a forum? Or why do you like a forum over Facebook?

prerunner1982
05-13-2016, 02:42 PM
I would say in a lot of cases it is. The Jeep group I am a part of is all on Facebook. In fact I was anti-Facebook for a long time but to be involved in the group I had to have FB.
I think as a lot of people move from using personal computers to mobile devices to access the web they are finding it easier to use FB since they likely already have an profile there than try to surf a forum using their phone.

The local Jeep group had a forum when I first found them but it was dead and shortly thereafter it was removed. Now a couple years later members say they think a forum would be a good idea so the group funded a forum.... with a total of 2 active members.

abebehrmann
05-13-2016, 02:45 PM
I like forums for technical info because it seems easier to navigate and find older posts about something of interest.

Also, the members here seem to be a whole lot nicer to folks than members on FB groups. FB groups are sorta like Lord of the Flies; someone shows a little sign of weakness by mentioning they're considering Rough Country or IRO for their first lift kit and everyone swarms to attack.

XJ Wheeler
05-13-2016, 03:59 PM
I admit fb has some good qualities that make it easy and a way to reach a ton of people. As well as the amount of people that are on there.

However, there's things I really don't like about it. The politics, the owner, and the fact that no one cares to control any of it. I've seen endless counts of horrible things shown and discussed. And anyone choosing the high road is chastised for having a sense of morals. And fighting, like legitimate threatening type fighting, is common place.

Also, finding any kind of how-to or information already posted is impossible. The only way is ask again and hope you find the right knowledgeable person.

Honestly, if I didn't need it for advertising and such I would be taking a break from fb...

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

cantab27
05-13-2016, 04:30 PM
FB is for shits and giggles bit like the 4wd comps I do......tis easy to throw a pic up of ya jeep....will find most my pics on FB to do with wheeling will be on here plus more with a wee yarn.....tech on forums cant be beat on places like this ,, some of the shit I read on some FB pages scares the shit outta me re safety and what not ......................plus theres millions of kiwis on FB only a couple on here ..............:smiley-taunt002:

Carves
05-13-2016, 07:21 PM
is facebook killing the internet

...................plus theres millions of kiwis on fb only a couple on here ..............

Wellll ... thats seems to be a ... Yes .. :p .. :D

Personally I think facebook is wonderful.

Once upon a time, To hear and see, stupidity and ridiculous behaviour,

... I had to get in the car, drive to town, and stand outside the local pub at closing time.

Now I can just type F ... and hit the enter button. :rolleyes:

My farcebook use is limited to one or two small businesses that use it instead of having - a proper website ... and browsing a couple of craigslist type sites for local areas.

Inadvertantly seeing a fb post that says something like ...

anyone know if theres a plumber in town ?

by someone, who could have more easily have googled ...

Town name, plumber

merely confirms that the, zombie apocalypse ... is real .. ;);)

Keep the forum going Mr Mudderoy,

... even if you have to rob a bank to do it .. :D

nickyg
05-14-2016, 12:25 AM
I like forums for technical information and to chat with people with a similar interest.

However it's hard to play candy crush on XJTalk.

I like to use Facebook to cyber stalk friends and family.

MattybPDX
05-14-2016, 01:52 PM
I switch between both. I've found that the xj forums are better than Facebook but the 250r owners for life fb page is unbeatable. Both Honda trx forums and fb page is sort of hit or miss with the forums taking the slight edge.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

blazer2
05-15-2016, 08:49 PM
I got off FB along time ago.
I don't thank it's killing the forums. But its not helping
Them either.

Carves
05-18-2016, 08:54 PM
10hrs without the internet .. :shocker:

No great loss really, but ....

I'm blaming all the, "like" button stabbers, ogling peoples ridiculous and generally embarrassing "selfie" pics on farcebook.

:smiley-scared003:

:smiley-laughing021:

cantab27
05-18-2016, 11:07 PM
10hrs without the internet .. :shocker:

No great loss really, but ....

I'm blaming all the, "like" button stabbers, ogling peoples ridiculous and generally embarrassing "selfie" pics on farcebook.

:smiley-scared003:

:smiley-laughing021:

don't need to be on face book to drop a selfie bro........bet ya great grand kids are proud you even know the term cobber .....:smiley-taunt002::smiley-taunt002:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

xj selfie....

Carves
05-19-2016, 02:22 AM
don't need to be on face book to drop a selfie bro........bet ya great grand kids are proud you even know the term cobber .....:smiley-taunt002::smiley-taunt002:

Its because of the preteen rugrats, that I'm aware of the term.

One wanted a "selfie" stick for a birthday or something.

They got one of these ........

http://www.superiorpetgoods.com.au/thumb.aspx?path=source/Product/281201302458634950050985240000.jpg&width=600&height=598

.... damned if I could see what the difference was .. :confused::confused: .. ;);)

xj selfie....

Your car piccy doesnt show .. :brokenpic:

;);) .. :p

... and what the hell were you googling to find that mugshot photo ?

:D

cantab27
05-19-2016, 03:17 AM
lucky I didn't put the snow pic up ...........................................mug shot ,shit the one I got I was that young she be a black and white jobbie.............just saying

bruggz351
05-20-2016, 06:18 AM
I like drinking rum, and stabbing the "like" button. 😝

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Carves
05-20-2016, 07:00 AM
I like drinking rum, and stabbing the "like" button. 😝

Wellll ... I bet you're glad that the "clever country's", primary internet supplier,

... seems to have some of the country, back on line, after 3 days of faults, then .. :smiley-laughing021:

nickyg
05-20-2016, 03:24 PM
lucky I didn't put the snow pic up ...................

I think I speak for everyone when I say 'THANK YOU" for not posting that pic again. I just regained my eye sight from the last time.

abebehrmann
05-20-2016, 03:59 PM

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

xj selfie....

Who's the old man? Is that your Grandpa Cantab?

:rolleye0012::D:smiley-taunt002:

bruggz351
05-20-2016, 07:45 PM
Wellll ... I bet you're glad that the "clever country's", primary internet supplier,

... seems to have some of the country, back on line, after 3 days of faults, then .. :smiley-laughing021:
:sigh: don't talk to me, about our illustrious, communications giant. pppfff. Useless. [emoji35]
Sent my rum budget into the stratosphere. [emoji33]
Do you realize, just how much water I have had to drink, just to keep me kidney soggy?
They've no idea of the ramifications.!!!

bruggz351
05-20-2016, 07:46 PM
?????
... rumifications...
??????

Joliet Johnny
05-21-2016, 06:04 AM
I dispise facebook. Im on forums for the achived knowledge but I still buy dvds for the same reason. My wife uses fb as her internet. I wonder something and look it up and she doesnt. Forums are where my knowlde base comes from. I appreciate what people are doing on youtube and fb may be a good place to add awareness to something or share a quick moment but when it comes down it forums and wikipedia are mostly where i spend my time.