PDA

View Full Version : Bigger mirrors for XJ

scarecrow
05-13-2016, 11:03 AM
New here but plan on staying awhile. I'm tired of having a hard time seeing around the window bar to see mirror. Where can I get bigger mirrors and ones that will stick out away from window bar? I know someone has had to have had this issue before. 1996 Cherokee Sport

abebehrmann
05-13-2016, 11:10 AM
I've seen a lot of people with the early model XJs have upgraded their side view mirrors to the late model (97+ mirrors). I hear they are larger and easier to see out of and have the "breakaway" hinge so if you hit something with them they fold up instead of breaking. I think they're a direct swap with maybe a small gap that can be filled with black silicone. I'll try to find one of the threads I've seen this on.

abebehrmann
05-13-2016, 12:45 PM
I haven't actually watched this all the way through with sound due to being at work, but I think this should give you a good idea of how it's done. Looks like his were full manual before so if you already have power mirrors, it might be even easier.

https://youtu.be/bCoakRI1xcg

XJ Wheeler
05-13-2016, 04:35 PM
I've done the 97+ mirror swap on mine and Abe is 100% correct. They're direct bolt in, provided you don't have/don't want power. I haven't dealt with that yet but I believe you'll have to splice the wires since the connectors are different (iirc). And yes, a bit of silicone along the top edge helps seal them since they don't sit flush because of the window trim.

Now to their usefulness. They are a great upgrade, especially if you get them from the junkyard for cheap. The actually viewing area is considerably bigger and they do have a sleeker look. However! They do still have the issue of the quarter window bar blocking view on the driver's side. And it may actually be worse (hard to remember the old ones for sure. But unless you want to drill into your door, I don't know of another bolt on mirror that's better.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

bruggz351
05-14-2016, 02:07 AM
I've done this swap twice before.
Not hard to splice the multi plug from the original mirror onto the update mirrors. Just play around, back probing, til ya work out what's what. When I first did it, I had up down, and down up. Lol.

They're a small improvement, , but I think, the only thing that will be better would be a truck type mirror, and that would be ugly on a xj.
Just my opinion.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Mudderoy
05-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Ohhh! You guys are talking about the metal bar between the side window and the little triangle piece aren't you? I couldn't figure out what was blocking your view. Does that little triangle piece open? Act as a vent window?

MattybPDX
05-14-2016, 01:47 PM
I haven't actually watched this all the way through with sound due to being at work, but I think this should give you a good idea of how it's done. Looks like his were full manual before so if you already have power mirrors, it might be even easier.

https://youtu.be/bCoakRI1xcg
Found his channel not too long ago and binge watched everything he had.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

XJ Wheeler
05-14-2016, 09:43 PM
Ohhh! You guys are talking about the metal bar between the side window and the little triangle piece aren't you? I couldn't figure out what was blocking your view. Does that little triangle piece open? Act as a vent window?
Only some models got the opening windows, more common in the way earlier ones like 80s models. The rest, like mine are fixed, like the small windows in the rear doors.. Makes me want to swap to 97+ doors...

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

scarecrow
05-14-2016, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the info I knew this site was going to be awesome

MattybPDX
05-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Those windows are the bane of my existence. Combine that with my mirrors which have the circle mirrors in the corner and you have sides that are pretty ****ing useless.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nickyg
05-15-2016, 09:28 AM
I installed the little vent windows I pulled from an xj at the junk yard. when they're open your door mirror is pretty much useless. I upgraded to the 97 mirrors too. I still have the same issues as everyone else.

prerunner1982
05-23-2016, 08:12 AM
Makes me want to swap to 97+ doors...

And that is how you fix both issues... get better mirrors and bigger window opening in one mod.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/body-chassis/154-0901-jeep-cherokee-xj-door-upgade/