PDA

View Full Version : 92 xj cuts out

AJ99
05-10-2016, 04:22 PM
Ok so while accelerating it will cut out for a second like the engine cuts out and picks right back up. No jumping or signs it will do it. motor is stock, transmission is stock. nothing has been changed or messed with. any ideas?

4.3LXJ
05-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Fuel flow is low. You have a filter on the frame?

AJ99
05-11-2016, 11:31 AM
Ya. ill check that today. its been crazy this week and i didnt get a chance to do anything yesterday.

4.3LXJ
05-11-2016, 11:45 AM
AJ, one of these fine days you and I need to get together and do the Dusey or something like that.

Cheromaniac
05-11-2016, 12:08 PM
Ok so while accelerating it will cut out for a second like the engine cuts out and picks right back up. No jumping or signs it will do it. motor is stock, transmission is stock. nothing has been changed or messed with. any ideas?

A fuel delivery problem (e.g. clogged fuel filter, failing fuel pump) usually makes the engine splutter before it stalls but a failing fuel pump can also cause a sudden jerking when the engine cuts out and suddenly comes back to life again.
A scenario where the engine suddenly stalls without spluttering as if a kill switch has been tripped is usually caused by an electrical problem, the most common being a failing crank position sensor (CPS). A failing MAP sensor can also cause engine stalling but it's usually also accompanied by symptoms of poor running and jerking.
Other things to look for are loose/corroded battery cables/terminals and poor engine grounds.

AJ99
05-11-2016, 12:54 PM
ok ill check all that out this evening. supposed to be going to the coast this weekend for my fiances bday and she wants to take the jeep to play in the dunes. so i need to figure this out asap. i did change my ground from the battery a few weeks ago. i may need to start there first. my battery is in the back of the xj in a battery box so the ground isnt factoy.

AJ99
05-11-2016, 12:56 PM
AJ, one of these fine days you and I need to get together and do the Dusey or something like that.

yes! i just picked up my fiance an 87 xj. trying to get it all together and going properly. she wanted her own because she doesnt like riding bitch. she grew up drag racing her own car and is much happier driving lol.

4.3LXJ
05-11-2016, 12:56 PM
AJ, my batteries are in the back too. I ran a separate ground to the transfer case. Worked well

4.3LXJ
05-11-2016, 12:57 PM
yes! i just picked up my fiance an 87 xj. trying to get it all together and going properly. she wanted her own because she doesnt like riding bitch. she grew up drag racing her own car and is much happier driving lol.

I hear ya. My wife kind of wants her own too. Thinking of a tricked out WJ for her