PDA

View Full Version : OBA options? Tankless or Tank?

YJ Nate
05-10-2016, 08:07 AM
So a number of my wheeling buddies have under hood mounted electric air compressors. Theyre great for airing up their tires, and that's cool.

I was very into the OBA idea years ago when I had my YJ, but never quite got there. At the time, belt-driven compressors, like the York, with a tank, and a completely home-built system was the way to go. So that's what I'd always thought I'd do when the time came.

It seems that today, the electric compressors are so inexpensive, and have a good enough output, that for the purposes of inflating tires, theyre all you need. Going to the trouble of getting a belt setup, and a tank almost seems frowned upon.

I think my next big mod is going to be ab OBA, and i'm really leaning toward a tank system, most likely with an electric compressor. My impression is that if I have a tank, I'll have more air at the ready for things like, tire inflation, and even air tools. Maybe even enough to seat a bead? I'm looking for input though. Who has tank systems? Who has tankless systems? Does anyone have one and wish they'd gone with the other? The biggest issue I see with the tank system is figuring out where to put the tank.

So, input? Thoughts? Go!

blazer2
05-10-2016, 08:23 AM
I really like the idea of OBA from the ac compressor. If you don't use
The ac. I just have a cheap compressor and a 5gal tank from HF. It's ok
When it goes. I am doing the ac OBA.

YJ Nate
05-10-2016, 09:12 AM
I really like the idea of OBA from the ac compressor. If you don't use
The ac. I just have a cheap compressor and a 5gal tank from HF. It's ok
When it goes. I am doing the ac OBA.

It does seem to have a better feel to it doesnt it? A belt driven accessory, using the spin of the engine instead of another electrical doo-dad.

It would mean ditching my AC though. Unless I can add on a York without ditching the old Sanden.

4.3LXJ
05-10-2016, 10:34 AM
I have a Sanden compressor I use for OBA with a tank. If you use a compressor like that, bear in mind that unless you have a small compressor with its own built in relief/that is as much it will pump system in, then you have to have a tank and a pressure switch to turn in on and off. An AC compressor will if it is in good shape pump around 400 psi and things start happening at that pressure. Admittedly, I have a top of the line set up I built with all the bells and whistles, including high rpms when the compressor is running. It will pump a tire as fast as the valve stem will allow you to pump at 100 psi or better.

XJ Wheeler
05-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Looking forward to reading the replies here. I'm building tubing rockers that will double as air tanks. If my figures are right I should be nearing 5 gallons with both tied together.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

YJ Nate
05-11-2016, 08:42 AM
I'm not necessarily opposed to using my AC compressor, but it just seemed simpler to dedicate an electric pump to the job. My AC still works, and honestly, call me names if you must, but It's nice to have on some of the hotter days in PA. We're no Arizona, but man, there are some pretty hot/muggy days where it's just a relief to leave the top on and crank that AC.

So that would leave me with adding an additional belt driven compressor. Which i'm not even certain is possible, though I think I've seen it done.

For all that work and expense, it just seems simpler to add an electric compressor.

The more I think about it, the more i think i'd really like the ability to set beads on the trail. is that a realistic goal for an OBA with a 2.5 gal tank?

blazer2
05-11-2016, 08:32 PM
I don't know if 2.5 gallons will do it. I have a bead setter that's 5gallons. It works great on trailer tires.
I thank a ratchet strap would be better for mt tires. And your 2.5 gallon tank should do the trick.

bluedragon436
05-11-2016, 10:20 PM
Have been thinking about doing some sort of OBA on my XJ... Was going to pull the AC apart, and make use of the compressor to do the OBA... But as I plan on having the little lady, and the littler lady wheeling with me.. so can't really get rid of the AC... at least for now.. So I'll be looking to run a decent electric pump, and probably a 10 gallon tank from HF.. Will have to be somewhat of a budget OBA for now, anyways...

YJ Nate
05-17-2016, 02:02 PM
Well, i went ahead and ordered a viair kit with a 2.5 gal tank. It's got a viair 450c compressor, which has a lower CFM than the ARB compressors, but I'm hoping the tank makes up for that. The York on the other hand puts out a massive amount of air compared to either electric compressor.

We'll see how the viair works. I may still someday upgrade the compressor itself, the rest of the kit should be compatible with any compressor. I'll be sure to report back once i've got it installed and get some use out of it.

MattybPDX
05-17-2016, 02:46 PM
These things are neat. Haven't looked at prices though. I imagine it's a bit spendy.

https://youtu.be/aUMFvJQZDpI

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

YJ Nate
05-18-2016, 05:27 AM
These things are neat. Haven't looked at prices though. I imagine it's a bit spendy.

https://youtu.be/aUMFvJQZDpI

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

they are, i dont want a system that i have to take and get refilled though.