PDA

View Full Version : New guy introduction and build.

MattybPDX
04-19-2016, 07:52 PM
So I never did a formal introduction, I just started posting. I'm Matt from just outside of Portland, Or. When I bought a new car for my dd it quickly became my wife's and I inherited her '95 Country. Tbh I'm happy with that trade. It's been my dd for about 4 years now. I'm just now getting in to upgrades and building it.
Some info:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160419/f7af6e59d79c28e63aaf06af21c954e7.jpg
'95 Country
141k miles
4wd

Stock just about everything but a few odds and ends like tires (after all 4 were slashed,) radio, ignition, rad, alternator, just redid all the brakes. Other than those everything is what rolled out off of the assembly line 22 years ago.

My first order of business is to make it a better dd. Did a tune up last weekend with new E3 plugs, new wires, new dist cap and rotor. My next step is the fuel injector swap to get an extra couple mpg.

The door fell off at some point and wasn't aligned correctly when it was put back on leaving a 1/4 gap at the top. That's going to be adjusted at the same time I take all the chrome parts off to paint black (next weekend maybe.)

There's a small oil leak somewhere so we purple powered the engine bay as best we could so we can find where is coming from.

Front end is all ****ed and will go whatever direction it feels like when hitting a bump or braking. I'm thinking new tire rod end and ball joints fill fix that. Wheel bearings seem to be ok. No scraping noise and no wobble on the wheels when checking.

The radio is been a total pain. All the fuses are good, all the wiring is good, but it still just doesn't work. I'm going to try a new head and see if that's the problem.

I am the window master and hold all the power! Everyone must plead their case and if I'm feeling merciful I'll give then the fresh air they crave! Back in reality the switches are busted and just need to swap them out.

That's it for the get back to basics so now the fun stuff.

I'm thinking 6 1/2 on 33" bfg all terrains should be good for a mostly dd with weekend wheeling. Nothing to major just some good trails. 6 1/2" because why not and 33's because I want to keep a somewhat stock look and not trim. For budget reasons I may go with Rough Country. They have mixed reviews (mostly positive) and get designated as the newb lift but it seems they took their negative feedback and improved where needed. Most importantly the track bar is much beefier and adjustable now. If I get in to more serious wheeling then skid plates, and an axle swap will be in the future.

But that's going to have to wait though. New baby on the way means jeep fun stuff takes a back seat.

So there ya go. The only thing left is a project name. I have some ideas flaking around but we'll see.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160419/a4249cc7d00a5247602432d1f3163645.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160419/35a7734e5b8e4832cf82b1660e2f4d82.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
04-19-2016, 08:08 PM
Welcome Matt. Looks like you have some big plans. The kids can take care of the play money, but you will find a way to free up some.

Mudderoy
04-19-2016, 08:09 PM
Thanks for taking the time to introduce and especially posting the pictures! :popcorn:

MattybPDX
04-19-2016, 08:09 PM
Welcome Matt. Looks like you have some big plans. The kids can take care of the play money, but you will find a way to free up some.
Yes they can! Our 5 year old is about ready for a 50cc quad plus I need my own so I'm not borrowing her dad's all the time. I'm sure we'll be able to make it all happen.

abebehrmann
04-19-2016, 08:20 PM
Welcome to the site! Sounds like you have a good idea on what you want. You might know this already, but just be aware when planning that you're going to need a slip yoke eliminator with a lift of that size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattybPDX
04-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Welcome to the site! Sounds like you have a good idea on what you want. You might know this already, but just be aware when planning that you're going to need a slip yoke eliminator with a lift of that size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. Factored that in to the budget.

Pookapotamus
04-20-2016, 09:00 AM
Sweet! Another yellow jeep! Really, Really REALLY pale yellow, but still yellow!

Nothing wrong with 33's and 6 1/2 for a daily, it's what I run, if you have any questions this is the place to be, great group of people here! They even put up with me!

Welcome!

Having 4WD means getting stuck in more inaccessible places!

MattybPDX
04-20-2016, 09:26 AM
That's gold my friend! I've only ever seen 2 other gold Countries.

Pookapotamus
04-20-2016, 11:12 AM
That's gold my friend! I've only ever seen 2 other gold Countries.

Oh.... That's too bad...cause if it was yellow, even pale yellow, it would have more horsepower, flex better, climb better, make better coffee and gets tons more coolness points! Ask anyone! ;)
Trust me! Would I lie to you???

Anyway... Nice to see another xj being kept by someone who will appreciate it!

Oh and check out my build thread link in my signature to see what yellow could do for you, we are a small group but all hardcore!

Pale yello..... er... Gold jeeps rule!

MattybPDX
04-20-2016, 11:13 AM
And it's been scientifically proven chicks dig yellow jeeps specifically.

4.3LXJ
04-20-2016, 11:15 AM
Hmmmmm, scientifically. OK, I want in on this study. Large sample size I presume?

XJ Wheeler
04-20-2016, 11:45 PM
Sounds like a plan! Gotta admit, don't see many of those country's in gold. Got a Laredo myself and they seem closely related since they have the cladding on the bottom.

Welcome to xjtalk! Glad to have ya here and thanks for the pics!

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

prerunner1982
04-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Nice clean low mileage XJ you have there.

Welcome. We have a member in the Portland area (NW99XJ)... you might hit him up for some trail riding, but be careful trying to follow him I hear he is a bit heavy with the right foot.

As far as aligning the door, I would be surprised if there is enough adjusted to fix it. The upper door hinge likely pulled away from the body and when it was fixed the hinge was welded in further away from the A pillar that it was originally.

denverd1
04-21-2016, 01:22 PM
sample size was 1, it has now doubled. much larger sample size than before.

nice rig and great plans!

GoneWithTheWind
04-21-2016, 02:23 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160419/a4249cc7d00a5247602432d1f3163645.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160419/35a7734e5b8e4832cf82b1660e2f4d82.jpg

Sunset Beach?

GoneWithTheWind
04-21-2016, 02:33 PM
Nice clean low mileage XJ you have there.
FIFY
Welcome. We have members in the Portland area (NW99XJ)... you might hit him up for some trail riding, but be careful trying to follow him I hear he is a bit heavy with the right foot. Poorboy across the river, and grumpy old WAS95X in Ptown.

prerunner1982
04-21-2016, 02:46 PM
Didn't mean to leave any body out.

GoneWithTheWind
04-21-2016, 03:00 PM
Didn't mean to leave any body out.

No worries :) Just trying to have some trolling fun, I hope that's okay.

MattybPDX
04-22-2016, 03:19 PM
Sunset Beach?
I think so. We were staying at Fort Stevens.

GoneWithTheWind
04-22-2016, 04:15 PM
That would be Ft. Stevens then, Sunset is a little further south. Not many places you can drive on the beach in Oregon, Sunset is pretty popular.

MattybPDX
04-22-2016, 04:37 PM
That would be Ft. Stevens then, Sunset is a little further south. Not many places you can drive on the beach in Oregon, Sunset is pretty popular.
Ahh. It was my first time there.

4.3LXJ
04-22-2016, 04:46 PM
Get a look at the Peter Iredale? Someday I think it will just disappear.

MattybPDX
04-22-2016, 04:51 PM
There's almost nothing left. Probably a few years or so it will be gone.

4.3LXJ
04-22-2016, 07:09 PM
Yes, it will eventually. I saw it a number of years ago when the sand was blown out to sea and you could almost see the bottom of it. There were two broken masts attached to the bottom.

MattybPDX
08-20-2016, 05:07 PM
Decided to resurrect my "build thread" instead of making a new thread for every update.

So here is where we are now
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160820/b9ab02b132e6a87c53d30c3109a45335.jpg
With the help of Little Ceasers we painted the trim, fenders, grill and headlight bezels.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160820/ed488987a494bb029adb4e99528fb11a.jpg
Added a 3.5" Rc lift. I like it but honestly wish I got the 4.5" x series.

Watt needs to be done:

Adjustable track bar
New tie rod ends
Bfg 31" A/T
Re seal the drivers side door
Get all the damn window switches working
Figure out what's draining my battery. If it sits for 2 days without being started it's totally dead.

What I'd also like to do:
Led headlights and foglights
All new speakers
Hidden sub in the rear cubby
Rack extension
Rear tire carrier
1" coil spacers for up front and extended shackles in the back to get and extra inch or so.

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of it right now.

4.3LXJ
08-20-2016, 07:26 PM
Everybody is always looking for that extra inch :D

What she said :D

bluedragon436
08-22-2016, 06:31 AM
Looks good... You can pick up a BB and install it pretty easily to get up to that 4.5-5" of lift height.. Did that when I picked up my 4.5" lift for my 98... and ended up with far more height then I was originally wanting or going for... but never complained about the extra height....

MattybPDX
08-22-2016, 09:26 AM
Bb?

4.3LXJ
08-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Budget Boost. Usually consists of front coil spacers and rear extended shackles. Not Bed and Breakfast :D

MattybPDX
09-12-2016, 09:43 PM
So here's something fun that happened the other day that may have lead to something even more fun today. It's long so grab a beer and get comfy.

It's pretty apparent I have a parasitic draw. I'm thinking it's the radio. I can charge the battery over night, drive to work (about 20m) and after a 8-10 shift the battery is almost completely drained and I have to jump it.

So obviously this means I have to charge the battery every night. Over the weekend I went to put in the charger and when I did it started buzzing, the meter went straight to the red, and some stuff on the terminal started bubbling. I immediately shut it off and waited a while. Tried again and got the same thing. Eventually I had to go somewhere so I jumped it and it started right up. When i got home I put the charger on and it charged like normal.

Flash forward a few days to this morning. Go to start it and it starts right up because it was charging. On the way to dropping the baby off at day care I notice my speedo is acting weird. It seems really slow and inaccurate, reading higher than it should. All the other gauges are acting and reading as normal. While driving I notice out revs super hard real quick for a fraction of a second. It did it a few times, only while turning which was weird. Also a few times on separate occasions the radio would shut off and the Speedo would drop to 0 then instantly come back up and the radio would turn back on. There was no loss of power and no weird revving. One time the heat was onand the other time just the fan.

So I get to work and it sits for 10hrs. When I get in to go home I get nothing. Overhead lights don't turn on, ignition light didn't turn on, nothing. Turn the key and absolutely nothing. No whiney noise from the starter trying to get enough juice to turn over. It's just totally dead like it's been sitting for years. So again I jump it and it starts right up. On the way home the revving and radio/speedo drops weren't happening. The speedo still seemed slow to react and inaccurate. I don't start getting some shakes until 65mph with some good vibrations around 70. Speedo was reading 75 and I wasn't even experience the shakes I normally get around 65. On my way I notice another xj and while admiring it I notice he had his lights on. I figured it will be getting dark soon so I should put mine on. When i pull the switch the speedo and the radio die. I panicked and quickly turned the lights off and they both came back. Like before there was no loss of power, just the speedo and radio. When I get home I pull the lights again and same thing except this time I leave them on and after a split second of cutting out they both come back on. Both headlights work as they should with lows and highs working. Ground lights working fine. I get back in, turn the lights off then back on and nothing. The lights come on but the radio doesn't die. I turned it off and went to restart it and everything's dead again just like when I got out of work. I put the jump starter on and it starts right up. For shits I put my meter lib the battery and it's reading 8.3v. Not the 12v it should be bit that's more than enough to turn the lights on. Now she sits in the driveway with the charger on so I can go to work tomorrow.

I have a theory besides that my jeep is haunted. Possibly there's a wire in the radio that's creating a ground loop with the lights and speedo which would explain why turning on the lights would kill the radio and speedo. If it's the power wire it may explain why the battery is getting drained so quickly. When I put my meter on 10amps and try to test for a draw I get no reading. I'm not surprised since it's a $12 meter. I guess my first order of business is pull the radio and look for any junk wires. After that I'm not sure.

Pinkyman
09-14-2016, 07:41 AM
The way i always check for draws, is to disconnect the negative battery cable, and put a test light between the cable end, and the battery terminal. It will light up if there is a draw, then you can start pulling fuses until the draw goes away (aka the light goes out).

You just need to remember to pull the dome light fuse, or shut your doors, otherwise you will get a constant draw from those being on.

Also, im sure youve checked, but hows your alternator and/or wires and connection going to it? Your loss of power and radio and all seems like an indication of possible alternator failure.

MattybPDX
09-14-2016, 12:20 PM
The way i always check for draws, is to disconnect the negative battery cable, and put a test light between the cable end, and the battery terminal. It will light up if there is a draw, then you can start pulling fuses until the draw goes away (aka the light goes out).

You just need to remember to pull the dome light fuse, or shut your doors, otherwise you will get a constant draw from those being on.

Also, im sure youve checked, but hows your alternator and/or wires and connection going to it? Your loss of power and radio and all seems like an indication of possible alternator failure.
Alternator is relatively new (within 2 years.) The newest thing put in is the radio so that's where I'm going first. between work and new baby the hardest part is just finding time to diagnose and fix.

MattybPDX
09-14-2016, 06:58 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160915/e51f62cb084dc9d86f38f23d76aa07ad.jpg

That's the ground wire for the radio. I'm thinking there's a good chance he was touching something he shouldn't have. I wrapped it in tape for the time being dive my crimper got stolen. I have the battery charging now. We'll find out tomorrow of that was the culprit.

MattybPDX
09-15-2016, 09:11 AM
Well that didn't do it. Had the battery charging all night and once you take the charger off everything is dead. I'm thinking it has to be the battery. With the charger or jump starter on it and starts right up but with them off there's no power at all. My wife swears it can't be because we "just got" the battery. We just got the battery about 5 years ago. The interstate guy said it had to be a draw or the alternator ever though it cab get power from every source but the battery.

MattybPDX
09-15-2016, 05:51 PM
It was in fact the battery. Got a new battery, cleaned the connectors and so far so good.

MattybPDX
11-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Winter is here which means it's getting colder. It's been taking a long time to heat up the Jeep. I can leave it running for half an hour and nothing. Once I get driving it warms right up. I figured out yesterday that while i can hear the blower going, nothing is coming out of the vents. Defrost works fine. Vent setting works fine. A.c. works fine. Something tells me I have to pull the dash apart but what am I looking for? And how do I fix it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
11-04-2016, 10:47 AM
Are you getting air out of all the vents that are supposed to work when you select that function?

MattybPDX
11-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Are you getting air out of all the vents that are supposed to work when you select that function?
Yes. Everything works but the heat setting. Maybe the blower door isn't opening? It's definitely blowing, because you can hear it is just not coming through the vents. I know the heat itself is working because eventually the jeep will heat up. I'll going to flush the heater core either that or this weekend. There a weird smell when the heat the on. Almost like a burning but not quite that bad.

4.3LXJ
11-04-2016, 01:42 PM
The heat outlet is really small and restrictive on the sides of the box. Also there is a plastic duct that takes some to the back of the console. Make sure it is connected. I taped mine shut and removed the duct.

MattybPDX
11-08-2016, 11:55 AM
It's almost tax season which means I'll have some money to burn. My wife gave me a choice, the quad I've wanted for years ( 86 Honda Trx250r) or totally deck out the jeep. As much as I really want that 250r the jeep upgrades is more practical. Between taxes and bonus my budget will be $3k - $4k. So here's my list of right now and will probably be updated.

33x10.5x15 Bfg ko2's
15x10 Trail master TM5
Napier v2 flares
1" coil spacers
1"-2" RC extended shackles (have the option for 1" or 2")
Either JCR Off-road or Affordable offroad front bumper
Smittybilt xrc rear bumper with tire carrier
RC sye
RC sway bar disconnects
Upgrade tie rod and new ends
Upgraded steering stabalizer
Adjustable track bar
All new speakers
JL Audio Tw1 for the hidden cubby hole sub

That should be a good start a DD/weekend warrior build. Some of these I may get before others. Any suggestions are also more that welcome. I want it to be February!

4.3LXJ
11-08-2016, 02:39 PM
If going up, you might need to add shocks in that list

MattybPDX
11-08-2016, 02:42 PM
If going up, you might need to add shocks in that list
Ya I was pondering that. Either go up another inch so I can get 33"s buy also need new shock's. Or stick with 31's with 3.5" lift. If I'm trimming and putting on flares anyway the 3.5" should be good enough for 33's. Since I have no drive line vibes that would save me like $500-$600 on sye, CV shaft, shackles and coil spacers.

MattybPDX
11-28-2016, 10:51 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161128/90a3533d18c0af27279de78334b0f2d3.jpg

With the help from my mechanic I got all the front end parts put on. The price was step (a bag of skittles) but he does good work.

denverd1
11-28-2016, 08:27 PM
It's almost tax season which means I'll have some money to burn. My wife gave me a choice, the quad I've wanted for years ( 86 Honda Trx250r) or totally deck out the jeep. As much as I really want that 250r the jeep upgrades is more practical. Between taxes and bonus my budget will be $3k - $4k. So here's my list of right now and will probably be updated.

33x10.5x15 Bfg ko2's
15x10 Trail master TM5
Napier v2 flares
1" coil spacers
1"-2" RC extended shackles (have the option for 1" or 2")
Either JCR Off-road or Affordable offroad front bumper
Smittybilt xrc rear bumper with tire carrier
RC sye
RC sway bar disconnects
Upgrade tie rod and new ends
Upgraded steering stabalizer
Adjustable track bar
All new speakers
JL Audio Tw1 for the hidden cubby hole sub

That should be a good start a DD/weekend warrior build. Some of these I may get before others. Any suggestions are also more that welcome. I want it to be February!

There it is!! Peel off a few hundo for a locker. Will up your capability quite a bit.

edit. locker may be putting the cart in front of the horse. jump on up to 3". doesn't change the $$ much, those 33's look better IMO with some room in the fender, then you have better clearance on everything, you're buying shocks anyway just get them for the lift you decide on. If you do, do go with full front coils, they aren't much $$ and make all the difference offroad. you may have to add rear springs, but I wouldn't spend that kinda coin on it without ending up with a nice lift. all personal of course. nice list!

MattybPDX
11-28-2016, 08:31 PM
There it is!! Peel off a few hundo for a locker. Will up your capability quite a bit.

All ready have a 3" lift and have 31s on the way but there's been a change of plans. I'm leaving my job on Dec 31st and going back to school. All bonuses and taxes are going to build and what not. I'll be able to repair as needed but extra fun stuff will have to wait.

MattybPDX
12-07-2016, 05:15 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161207/64614e643b6d93246e0778b8bd7143cc.jpg
Wife just sent me this. I am now eyes locked on the clock at work waiting to get out.

MattybPDX
12-08-2016, 06:04 PM
Got my wheels and tires!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161209/54985eb995269f35d049da41f704f6ed.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161209/cde705260da7191a1283c8310fc0d30e.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161209/843cb0f32aa802da25fee9ff59b4155c.jpg

They also aligned it for free since the father in law has been going the for only 30ish years. They said it was probably pulling so hard because of the old worn out tires. Drove it to work to work and it's so much better. Next move is to bump stop since I never did that after the lift and then do something about the flares. I think I'm going to trim and relocate the stock flares.

MattybPDX
12-12-2016, 10:34 AM
After a couple days with the tires and wheels here's my report.

The good:

I actually have traction again and I'm not spinning out coming out of red lights and stop signs.

I read that I may lose power due to the bigger tires but it actually feels like I've gained some. I think it's from the bald tires not transferring the power to the ground.

The pulling hard to the right and bump steer had been reduced greatly. Driving the Jeep isn't a fight anymore.

They look awesome!

The bad:

They rub on my flares. Not all the time just bumps. I got 3.75bs wheels for whatever reason and they rub on the very bottom of the flares. Looks like I got some trimming to do.

The Jeep still pulls right and has bump steer. The only things I didn't touch were the drag link, wheel bearings, and ball joints. I guess all the money I threw at it didn't solve the problem.

Funds are about to get tight so bearings and ball joints are going to have to wait until February.

bluedragon436
12-12-2016, 04:08 PM
It's looking good with the new shoes Matt!! I'm in the same boat as far as the ball joints and wheel bearings... I've been pushing my luck for a bit now... and am trying to figure out how much longer I can really push them... Don't want to end up on the side of the road or the side of the trail though, so will be picking them up as I can afford new parts then look to tear it all down and replace them all once the weather starts to warm up... if the current ones hold up for that much longer on mine... Looking good... keep up the build!!

MattybPDX
12-12-2016, 04:57 PM
It's looking good with the new shoes Matt!! I'm in the same boat as far as the ball joints and wheel bearings... I've been pushing my luck for a bit now... and am trying to figure out how much longer I can really push them... Don't want to end up on the side of the road or the side of the trail though, so will be picking them up as I can afford new parts then look to tear it all down and replace them all once the weather starts to warm up... if the current ones hold up for that much longer on mine... Looking good... keep up the build!!
Thanks! I'm baffled by the pulling and bump steer. It's perfectly aligned, new track bar, new stabalizer, new tie rod and end. The bearings seem fine. There's no play when grabbing the wheel at 12 & 6 then push/pulling. When I grab at 9 & 6 and push/pull there's a little play and a slight click noise. Maybe it's the ball joints. The drag link end connected to the pitman arm looks like junk so I'm going to replace that soon.

MattybPDX
12-18-2016, 12:33 AM
Did a lengthy battle with the steering box. It was not easy to take out or put back in but we did it. All that work and adjusting it took maybe 30 seconds. When putting the pitman arm back on I figured it would be easier to seperate it from the drag link so I did the old trusty reverse the nut and wack it with a hammer. Tomorrow I get to buy a new drag link end.

I didn't even get to cut my fenders per my plan for the day.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161218/c7cb21103d6025dd64e15e60b2a57699.jpg
Hmm I wonder what that rubbing sound could be when I got a bump?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161218/b2c728a7ca165fc5fce6661471968a5d.jpg
The weapon of choice for this project.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161218/2160ec79514c964ebc983f665eabadc5.jpg
Removed the air box for better access.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161218/8287e46737de8055eebbcfd3142586d1.jpg
The she is.

Have a lot to do tomorrow. New drag link end, make sure the steering box adjustment actually worked and hopefully get the bottom of those flares cut off.

MattybPDX
12-18-2016, 12:20 PM
This asshole accidently dumped brake fluid in my steering fluid reservoir. It blew the line out and stripped the threads on high pressure line fitting on the pump. Well this ****ing sucks.

MattybPDX
12-18-2016, 02:40 PM
It looks like that piece threads on to the pump and the high pressure line threads in to that. I can probably go to the jy and just pull that piece instead of getting a whole new pump.

MattybPDX
12-19-2016, 09:27 PM
Turns out I only stripped the hose fitting and not the pump so that's good. Got a new hose and flushed the brake fluid out with dexIII(I've read on several xj forums you can use Dex 3 for PS) three times just to make sure. What's fun of the realization that I all ready has 5 quarts of the ATF and all I had to do was take the fan out and I could have adjusted the box without touching anything else. Oh well. 2 days and about $70 later i fixed what I broke but who knows of I fixed what I set out to in the first place.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161220/795f7e4a9992800cf18639e7ddfe0407.jpg
New high pressure line.

I also put in a new drag link end since I busted the old one.

MattybPDX
12-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Well she still pulls to the right. With a whole new front end I'm baffled. I'm going to check the rear passenger side wheel to set of the brakes are binding or something. Or maybe I just need a whole new steering box. I'm out of ideas.

4.3LXJ
12-20-2016, 12:31 PM
How bad does it pull? What year is yours again?

MattybPDX
12-20-2016, 12:34 PM
95 and it pulls pretty significantly. Almost everything has been replaced sans ball joints and wheel bearings but any testing or visual inspection doesn't show that they need to be replaced. You pretty much need to hold the wheel facing 10:30 to keep it straight.

4.3LXJ
12-20-2016, 02:09 PM
That is significant. They all in that vintage pull a little due to the way the factory set the castor angle. Not the same on both sides, so it is set up to pull a little anyway. When you look at the coils, you will see a difference in the way they are bowed. There is an upper ball joint that can correct a 1.5° difference, Moog I think

MattybPDX
12-20-2016, 02:12 PM
We're gonna throw a new box in there and see what that does.

MattybPDX
12-26-2016, 06:06 PM
I think I may have finally found the root of my steering problem. I picked up an angle finder just for fun and it turns out my caster angle is 0. Yeah that's not good. I guess I'm adding at least adjustable lca's to the "shit to fix my steering" list.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161227/7e8dabebc8893670f877a194de6242b7.jpg

4.3LXJ
12-27-2016, 11:17 AM
Yup, our four link suspensions need that 5° castor to work right.

MattybPDX
12-27-2016, 03:13 PM
Yup, our four link suspensions need that 5° castor to work right.
Convincing her to let me get new lcas is one thing ... A whole new 4link, she'll have my head.

MattybPDX
01-09-2017, 10:36 PM
Haven't done any actual work on the Jeep lately. We went to the forest for some play time in the snow. If we didn't have the kids I probably would have tried to climb this big mounds.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170110/5f461fa24108e4660c3b8f8ab57df8d9.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170110/dadad1796e804d483525f3fe98624ada.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170110/a5d3ff889afbf8a964e348badbd76d63.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170110/1ea98fbc5c4c4b8de7e7a0437ec3367c.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170110/1e738de5d48c2edbc7c65ba1e38df0c8.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170110/aa6231970a021e92d1b8d513aae54cc8.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170110/00d20a58b44657a19553c711b2ed7faa.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170110/d9103d6fb66fddb1c4f0ac32225d3d07.jpg

bluedragon436
01-10-2017, 01:56 PM
Looks like a fun time... Think you would have been ok climbing the mounts... but better to be safe then sorry sometimes... especially with the kids!!

MattybPDX
01-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Looks like a fun time... Think you would have been ok climbing the mounts... but better to be safe then sorry sometimes... especially with the kids!!
I would have either had to not have the kids or not have the wife so there's no one to tell me not to do it[emoji1]

MattybPDX
01-16-2017, 10:49 PM
A little long so bear with me. The other day while driving on the mountain we got stuck in a ditch. Pushed the jeep pretty hard but eventually got out. In doing so we over heated and there was coolant boiling out of the radiator cap. The rest of the trip down the gauge was pinned at 260. We stopped let it cool down and continued on our way. About a mile down the road it hit 260 again so i stopped to take a look. there was steam coming from the left side of the radiator. I opened the cap a little bit (very carefully using a towell) and let some steam out. When i did that it sucked about 1/4 of the coolant reservoir. The whole trip home, 16 miles, it was perfect, stayed at 210. Heat/defrost worked normal. Yesterday my wife drove it to work, 40 miles round trip. She said it was fluctuating between 210 and 260. When i looked at it today the coolant was completely empty. There was a little bit of coolant in random spots like on the left side sway bar bracket and on the air box lid. When i turn it on now it goes straight passed 260 and starts steaming, again from the left side of the radiator. I drove it around the neighbor hood and before it got home out started to go down, i slowed down because of a car and then it shot back up to 260. In the maybe ten minutes of test driving it went through 1/4 of the reservoir. There's absolutely no heat at all. After letting it sit for the night the coolant was empty again. I got a coolant tester and I couldn't even pressurize the system to get a reading, I could air coming from the radiator. Knowing the rad was all ready on the way out I had two thoughts; either we finally killed it, or we blew the head gasket. All the signs were pointing towards a dead radiator so I threw a new one in there, filled it, filled the res and burped the system. Before the jeep would idle anywhere between 230/240 and drive around 210. The heat would take absolutely forever to heat up and in the past few days (since the incident) it would not heat up at all. In my test drive tonight it idled at 210 and drove at 180/190. The heat got warm faster and warmer than it ever has. Looks like we fixed our problem

bluedragon436
01-17-2017, 12:17 AM
Yeah was thinking by what you said it was doing, was going to say the radiator was for sure gone... Glad it is all good now, and having BA head is always good!!

4.3LXJ
01-17-2017, 11:09 AM
What can I say. Hope it stays that way. Glad you got out

MattybPDX
01-17-2017, 02:02 PM
Well we're not out of the woods yet. It lost the entire res of coolant over night. If I try to Vito the system it ends up pushing coolant out of the cap. There's only 1 thing that could mean.

4.3LXJ
01-17-2017, 02:58 PM
Better warm up the torque wrench and change that head gasket

MattybPDX
01-17-2017, 02:59 PM
That's the plan for today when the wife gets home from work.

MattybPDX
01-17-2017, 03:21 PM
Will I have to do the valve cover gasket also?

4.3LXJ
01-17-2017, 03:21 PM
yup, or it will leak

MattybPDX
01-17-2017, 09:34 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170118/7b0cc96d9890e26aa4160a9a0323aec8.jpg
This is as far as I far as I got today. I'm going slow and sure I do everything correctly.

MattybPDX
01-19-2017, 05:44 PM
So I go to continue working on my engine teardown and I noticed the current res is full. This makes me second guess whether I need to replace the head gasket. Do I keep going or put it all back together and your for the best?

4.3LXJ
01-19-2017, 07:39 PM
Consider what happened, just keep going

MattybPDX
01-20-2017, 08:41 AM
I stopped and thought, well I'm in here for a reason. It's going to be more effort to put it all back together just to have to tear it apart in a few days.

4.3LXJ
01-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Better safe than sorry Matt

MattybPDX
01-20-2017, 11:42 AM
Yup that's what I figured. If we're really lucky we didn't crack the head or the block. The temp gauge pinned all the way to the right.

MattybPDX
01-24-2017, 02:06 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/967ed42465a06dbddd5098850466a1ff.jpg
Got the head off and sent it to a machine shop for cleaning, resurfacing, valve test, and pressure test. In the meantime I need to clean this bad boy up.

WormsJeep
01-26-2017, 03:39 PM
Yeah it looks a little dirty

bluedragon436
01-26-2017, 03:46 PM
V8 swap... I kid I kid... been taken over by the stupid people on the FB pages and their always constant push for stuff like a V8 swap anytime something messes up on the 4.0... hope you get the word back from the machine shop that everything is good and can be cleaned up and ready to go back on with minimal work..

Pinkyman
01-27-2017, 08:07 AM
While you have the head off you might want to remove the nut for the heater box that the head makes impossible to get to lol. Just in case you need to replace your heater core or evap core anytime in the future, it will make it that much easier. It took me forever just to get that one nut off, and i didnt waste my time putting it back in :thumbsup:

MattybPDX
01-27-2017, 10:10 AM
While you have the head off you might want to remove the nut for the heater box that the head makes impossible to get to lol. Just in case you need to replace your heater core or evap core anytime in the future, it will make it that much easier. It took me forever just to get that one nut off, and i didnt waste my time putting it back in [emoji106]
My first order of business is going to be to put my cutting wheel to the firewall over hang that blocks that last head bolt. I don't see how anyone could actually torque that bolt down otherwise.

MattybPDX
01-27-2017, 02:04 PM
V8 swap... I kid I kid... been taken over by the stupid people on the FB pages and their always constant push for stuff like a V8 swap anytime something messes up on the 4.0... hope you get the word back from the machine shop that everything is good and can be cleaned up and ready to go back on with minimal work..
I had to leave the fb groups. I can deal with people asking what size tire the can put on a 3" lift without trimming only so much before I go insane.

MattybPDX
01-28-2017, 11:23 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170128/4471554832f3cc33067a5c63915659c7.jpg
The machine shop gave me a good head job! I will admit I stole that joke from the pabst boys.

bluedragon436
01-28-2017, 03:14 PM
I had to leave the fb groups. I can deal with people asking what size tire the can put on a 3" lift without trimming only so much before I go insane.

Agreed... I told my GF, that I'm about to leave some of these pages, because of that crap... and it's not even serious people asking... it's people being funny (stupid)... and what sucks even more is the people who are asking serious questions or for serious feedback, get trashed on or beat down... I sent a message to a guy one day telling him about this place... and he was like... thanks, I was about to sell my Jeep, because I just didn't think there was any way I'd get any serious help on getting it taken care of... Just killed me...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170128/4471554832f3cc33067a5c63915659c7.jpg
The machine shop gave me a good head job! I will admit I stole that joke from the pabst boys.

Looks clean, and ready to go back on... Guessing they checked it and said no warping or anything??

MattybPDX
01-28-2017, 03:16 PM
Agreed... I told my GF, that I'm about to leave some of these pages, because of that crap... and it's not even serious people asking... it's people being funny (stupid)... and what sucks even more is the people who are asking serious questions or for serious feedback, get trashed on or beat down... I sent a message to a guy one day telling him about this place... and he was like... thanks, I was about to sell my Jeep, because I just didn't think there was any way I'd get any serious help on getting it taken care of... Just killed me...

Looks clean, and ready to go back on... Guessing they checked it and said no warping or anything??
They said it was warped ever so slightly. They resurfaced and flattened it all out. Jeep has been down for over a week, I really want to be done and have her back.

MattybPDX
01-28-2017, 11:16 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170129/4fcbe427801fc46aaa6bf9c7846f7e67.jpg
Well those cleaned up pretty well. I'm reassembled up to the valve cover. Should be able to finish it all tomorrow.

denverd1
01-29-2017, 09:18 AM

the hosers that constantly talk about real Jeeps vs cherokees did it for me. they never would take me up on my XJ vs their garbage and it just pissed me off. had to step away. Jeep or Die was the worst, quickly running out of patience for the ones I still follow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

denverd1
01-29-2017, 09:22 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170129/4fcbe427801fc46aaa6bf9c7846f7e67.jpg
Well those cleaned up pretty well. I'm reassembled up to the valve cover. Should be able to finish it all tomorrow.

Sweet glad to hear it's coming together. Never really see it mentioned but decking a head should slightly improve valve lift for more flow! [emoji109] [emoji41]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MattybPDX
02-03-2017, 11:32 AM
Well we've hit another snag. Can't remember, or figure out, hour this goes back on. It would it only for one way but the bolt holes aren't lining up. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170203/a34103e7f5ab57b2293c34563d0bcab7.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170203/82e6d167cf9856e98429dee1c2afa642.jpg
This quickly turned in to a "I should have just brought it in" project.

MattybPDX
02-03-2017, 02:54 PM
It took a lot of swearing and a thrown socket wrench but I got it. Ihad to Attach the bracket to the water pump loosely, take the intake manifold off (after I reattached everything on it,) attached bracket to the manifold very loosely, then hold the manifold in place while finger tightening all the bolts to keep it mounted then tighten the bracket bolts.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170203/4a3157a8521d12d8a1ae45376a6def54.jpg

MattybPDX
02-03-2017, 09:11 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170204/2dd2a8eeb3d30839784fad3b65860451.jpg
I honestly didn't think I would get out don't buy oh shit it's together. I still need to fill the coolant, burp the system then flush the oil and refill.

bluedragon436
02-03-2017, 10:58 PM
Glad to hear it's all back together... Hope once the fluids are all topped off it runs smoothly again for ya!!

MattybPDX
02-04-2017, 09:05 PM
Got everything together and running. Something I realized is I don't have a thermostat. I don't recall taking one out and it wasn't with the housing soooooo yeah I don't know. I can always put one in. The fan keeps coming on and off. It will run for about 2 minutes and the fan will click on, then run for a few minutes then turn off. Over and over. Also the engine light is on. A few things to figure out but it's running and nothing blew up.

MattybPDX
02-05-2017, 03:06 PM
She lives!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170205/8a29a145908be0bbe739c20434bee2e3.jpg
Did a few tweaks and now she's running good. Tightened the belt and that good rid of the squealing that would happen when the AC or defrost was on. I forgot to connect a vacuum line and I think that's what was freaking the fan out. As for the engine light, I think that was because the battery kept dying and needing to be jumped. Once I got it started I let it run for a bit then turned out off and restarted, no light.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170205/a9c0cb267388dd262fef40ba0967060e.jpg

After all new gaskets and a radiator that's my idle temp.

bluedragon436
02-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Glad she's all together and running nicely... always a great end to a project when there is success like that...

MattybPDX
02-10-2017, 09:11 AM
Well since it's February I got a few extra bucks to spend. I'm looking at control arms. I'm debating between The Rubicon Express 3715
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170210/9395b373f2d34f11eb7736c6c38b2535.jpg

Or Ironman's factory rubber arms
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170210/f33a40e98a9c14cf57718c5ffbc308e8.jpg

Even at only $30 more Ironman's Currie end is a little out of my range since I'm all ready paying $50 more for the RE arms over true their plan adjustable arms.

4.3LXJ
02-10-2017, 09:15 AM
Andy's stuff is more, but you won't find anything stronger. You can bounce those off rocks all day and only hurt the rocks

MattybPDX
02-10-2017, 10:36 AM
I want to go with Andy. Hopefully I can sell off some shit for extra money

4.3LXJ
02-10-2017, 11:23 AM
Good plan. You won't be sorry parting with the extra coin

MattybPDX
02-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Good plan. You won't be sorry parting with the extra coin
The biggest hurdle is getting the accountant to sign off on them. I'll find a way, I always do.

4.3LXJ
02-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Tell her she wonn't be walking from part failure, and won't ever have to replace them

MattybPDX
02-10-2017, 12:34 PM
I have a bunch of old parts in good condition I can sell which will leave us only paying about a hundo.

abebehrmann
02-10-2017, 01:36 PM
Well since it's February I got a few extra bucks to spend. I'm looking at control arms. I'm debating between The Rubicon Express 3715
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170210/9395b373f2d34f11eb7736c6c38b2535.jpg

Or Ironman's factory rubber arms
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170210/f33a40e98a9c14cf57718c5ffbc308e8.jpg

Even at only $30 more Ironman's Currie end is a little out of my range since I'm all ready paying $50 more for the RE arms over true their plan adjustable arms.

Have you considered the RuffStuff Arms?
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/SFLEX-LF.html

They have a big heim joint instead of a johnny joint so they do transmit a bit more road vibrations, but I've had them for a couple years now and I have no complaints. They even have a coupon through 2/13/17 for 15% off (Coupon Code:KOH17)

MattybPDX
02-10-2017, 02:02 PM
Have you considered the RuffStuff Arms?
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/SFLEX-LF.html

They have a big heim joint instead of a johnny joint so they do transmit a bit more road vibrations, but I've had them for a couple years now and I have no complaints. They even have a coupon through 2/13/17 for 15% off (Coupon Code:KOH17)
I can throw them in the mix of contenders. Since my Jeep is my DD with very light trail use I need/went something that will ride nice but still hold up to some off road use.

MattybPDX
02-10-2017, 06:56 PM
What about Metalcloak? Someone on the Cherokeeforum fb group mentioned them.

4.3LXJ
02-10-2017, 09:14 PM
They are supposed to be nice, but I don't know of anyone using them yet

MattybPDX
02-10-2017, 09:16 PM
They are supposed to be nice, but I don't know of anyone using them yet
I may be the first then. They look good.
https://youtu.be/8dE_tFFvjfU

MattybPDX
02-16-2017, 10:19 AM
Finally put in a new thermostat.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170216/5e5174075f792e7b9acc3b091047f335.jpg
Now she's running right at 190 instead of 160.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170216/2334495e6a7e4557ca182b2daa9a8e38.jpg

MattybPDX
06-06-2017, 08:49 AM
Been a while since I posted here. Now that my newest project is done the next job is to replace my broken fan e and replace the clutch fan with another electric fan. I also need to figure out why my brakes are squeaking and what the hell the noise under the hood is. It sounds like loose, grinding bearings so I'm guessing one of the pulleys, now to figure out which one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MattybPDX
06-07-2017, 10:12 AM
I noticed a small coolant leak at the rad cap this morning. My efan is cycling on and off constantly. From what I've read it looks like I'm going to have to take it in for some hvac work. Oh good.

bluedragon436
06-08-2017, 07:15 AM
Is it cycling on and off with the A/C on, or just all the time??

MattybPDX
06-08-2017, 08:07 AM
All the time.

philly
06-18-2017, 05:31 PM
10291http://http://imgur.com/VZxniSC Here is my rig. 2001xj Chopped, 3 link front, ORI's, 6.5 leafs in the rear with Liquid Iron sliders. Full hydro, D60 shaved, Artec truss, 35spline chromo outers, drive slugs, spartan lockers, 14b rear, shaved, Grizzly locker,5.38's, Ruffstuff +2 perches, 40" LTB's, TMI weld on beadlocks, exo.

4.3LXJ
06-18-2017, 06:19 PM
Image not coming through

philly
06-18-2017, 06:20 PM
Wont upload, links dont work, Im about to give up.

4.3LXJ
06-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Shane, you might want to start your own thread. If the links from your host site don't work, you can upload directly from your computer under the go advanced option and manage attachments. Many here use that option

MattybPDX
06-19-2017, 01:22 PM
Shane, you might want to start your own thread. If the links from your host site don't work, you can upload directly from your computer under the go advanced option and manage attachments. Many here use that option
Or tapatalk

abebehrmann
06-19-2017, 01:27 PM
10291http://http://imgur.com/VZxniSC Here is my rig. 2001xj Chopped, 3 link front, ORI's, 6.5 leafs in the rear with Liquid Iron sliders. Full hydro, D60 shaved, Artec truss, 35spline chromo outers, drive slugs, spartan lockers, 14b rear, shaved, Grizzly locker,5.38's, Ruffstuff +2 perches, 40" LTB's, TMI weld on beadlocks, exo.

Damn, that thing looks sweet! You have any more details/pics posted up on any other sites? Would love to check out more.

MattybPDX
06-21-2017, 10:47 AM
Well for some reason my defrost was dropping my battery down to 9v. I went ahead and turned it off and when I tried to turn it back on the such seemed stuck. I muscled it a bit and now nothing works. I think I broke the switch. I get to take the hvac controls apart and figure out what the hell is going on.

philly
06-21-2017, 01:37 PM
https://www.facebook.com/shane.philebar/posts/10213552100016188?pnref=story

4.3LXJ
06-21-2017, 01:42 PM
Nice looking rig Shane

philly
06-21-2017, 03:46 PM
thank you very much!

MattybPDX
06-25-2017, 10:32 PM
Well I think I figured out why my hvac doesn't work. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170626/87bf738e0a861e39cb7ab0fe21347ffd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170626/82afd01dbeeaf5b8adcd140d60d60b27.jpg

4.3LXJ
06-25-2017, 10:44 PM
Been there and done that myself. No T shirt though

MattybPDX
06-25-2017, 10:49 PM
Been there and done that myself. No T shirt though
T shirt?

4.3LXJ
06-25-2017, 10:50 PM
Yup, you are supposed to get a t shirt when you have been someplace and done something. It is so 90s :D

MattybPDX
06-25-2017, 10:52 PM
Yup, you are supposed to get a t shirt when you have been someplace and done something. It is so 90s :D
Oooh I gotcha. As in your joke went over my head and all I got was this lousy shirt.

bluedragon436
06-26-2017, 07:37 AM
Was funny was reading about your defrost issue... and was thinking what year you had, and was starting to think about the switch that usually melts down on itself... but then I see before I could post you had already found that to be the fact.. Rewired a friend's 96 that had done the same thing... just put new ends on it, and picked up a new switch... just to get him heat again since it was the middle of the winter... We were going to go through and replace other parts to keep from having the same thing happen again to him, but he ended up PCS'ing to another state... and then sold the XJ..

MattybPDX
06-26-2017, 07:40 AM
Was funny was reading about your defrost issue... and was thinking what year you had, and was starting to think about the switch that usually melts down on itself... but then I see before I could post you had already found that to be the fact.. Rewired a friend's 96 that had done the same thing... just put new ends on it, and picked up a new switch... just to get him heat again since it was the middle of the winter... We were going to go through and replace other parts to keep from having the same thing happen again to him, but he ended up PCS'ing to another state... and then sold the XJ..
I'm going to have to try the jy tomorrow to see if I can find the plug and unit. All the tabs broke broke off when pulling it out so this thing isn't going back in.

bluedragon436
06-26-2017, 07:43 AM
I'm going to have to try the jy tomorrow to see if I can find the plug and unit. All the tabs broke broke off when pulling it out so this thing isn't going back in.

Yeah, that's what we did too.. Because his had like three plugs pulled from it, and 2 that looked like someone MIG welded them together.. lol... So we went to the JY and pulled the switches from a few different rigs... in hopes to get at least one that would not only look good, but hopefully work 100% as well.. In the end, they all worked well, so we passed the remaining ones once we got his working to other folks with similar issue..

MattybPDX
06-26-2017, 10:03 AM
Yeah, that's what we did too.. Because his had like three plugs pulled from it, and 2 that looked like someone MIG welded them together.. lol... So we went to the JY and pulled the switches from a few different rigs... in hopes to get at least one that would not only look good, but hopefully work 100% as well.. In the end, they all worked well, so we passed the remaining ones once we got his working to other folks with similar issue..
I'm going to check the blower motor and resistor today, and just buy all new.

bluedragon436
06-26-2017, 09:51 PM
I'm going to check the blower motor and resistor today, and just buy all new.

Yeah certainly can't hurt.. take a look at the wires @ each of the connections for each of those while you're checking them...

MattybPDX
06-27-2017, 01:15 PM
Well these look fine.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170627/e270e25561b4832cadf1c01f5ae05e3e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170627/e8b0f35572eb5a2d814756fcfdf50c12.jpg

MattybPDX
06-27-2017, 02:52 PM
Stuck in the home depot parking lot because this ****ing thing died again. Then all of a sudden it started. I don't know what the hell it's deal is.

4.3LXJ
06-27-2017, 03:00 PM
You have a sensor infected with gremlins. Been there too with mine. Have you don the cps and cam position sensor? If so, I am thinking the ECM is playing with you

MattybPDX
06-27-2017, 03:29 PM
I cleaned off the terminals and it started right up

4.3LXJ
06-27-2017, 03:32 PM
Not saying it is, but if you have a corroded terminal thing going there is some stuff called Ox-Guard that would help with that

MattybPDX
06-30-2017, 12:16 PM
Not saying it is, but if you have a corroded terminal thing going there is some stuff called Ox-Guard that would help with that
Haven't had a problem since. I'm gong to go ahead and say it was.

MattybPDX
07-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Found out what was making my brakes squeak, it was the empty fluid reservoir. Used that as an opportunity to check and fill all my fluids which were pretty low.

MattybPDX
07-21-2017, 05:25 PM
Found a new, non melted, hvac control with switch and harness, and the rest of the 703 injectors i needed. What i didn't find though was a new e fan and mechanical fan shroud. Oh well, still a good haul. There was an xj that had bilsteins on it, if i needed them i would have grabbed em.

MattybPDX
07-21-2017, 11:33 PM
I put in a new hvac control and i only got defrost. No matter what setting, onlydefrost. Off, low, med, and high work but it's only defrost. So i switched the switch on the jy control with mine and same thing then it nosy stopped working all together. I should have just spent the money on a new one and not old jy shit. Back to no ac.

4.3LXJ
07-21-2017, 11:35 PM
Check your vacuum Matt. That is what makes the diaphragm motors work. It defaults to defrost when there is no vacuum

MattybPDX
07-21-2017, 11:42 PM
Check your vacuum Matt. That is what makes the diaphragm motors work. It defaults to defrost when there is no vacuum every setting worked fine before the harness melted down. Could i have messed up something while taking the control in and out?

4.3LXJ
07-21-2017, 11:43 PM
Probably melted one of those little plastic vacuum lines

MattybPDX
07-21-2017, 11:50 PM
Probably melted one of those little plastic vacuum lines Well, I'm not about to trace and replace vacuum lines.

MattybPDX
07-21-2017, 11:51 PM
Everytime i think about what i want to do with it, it gives me another reason to just trade out off and say the hell with it.

4.3LXJ
07-21-2017, 11:51 PM
The one you probably have to worry about is from the engine to the controls. I would run a new one on the path of least resistance

nickyg
07-22-2017, 09:55 AM
I put in a new hvac control and i only got defrost. No matter what setting, onlydefrost. Off, low, med, and high work but it's only defrost. So i switched the switch on the jy control with mine and same thing then it nosy stopped working all together. I should have just spent the money on a new one and not old jy shit. Back to no ac.

I had the same problem once. Turned out the the nipple broke off the vacuum canister in the front bumper passenger side causing a vacuum leak. stuck a screw in the loose hose and I'm back in business.

MattybPDX
07-31-2017, 09:14 AM
Still haven't fixed it. The switch looks good, the resistor looks good, could it be the blower motor? It worked when i put the new switch in (defrost at least) then everything just stopped.

MattybPDX
08-19-2017, 04:12 PM
Finally completed my 703 injector set and put then in today. The only real difference i noticed was it starts a little quicker and i can barley tap the pedal and it will start to go. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170819/b5324a3681f6ff2599ff75ff62c7646b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170819/e4a1f0ec7c236bc491911c538563d035.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170819/d994224259b196210b1e665257be915e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170819/f23d6a94976349caadf4dcca3c1c373a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170819/d644c61a9b4df5b687b9cc595b5a56b0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170819/098de82f8c3422c670c9e5b5aa70b0ea.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170819/a5cacd2c78e03e3a5476284435de67bb.jpg

89limited_hero
08-21-2017, 10:50 AM
That's really only benefit of the 703 injectors. Quicker start up and throttle response. Might be able to pick up a mpg or 2 depending on how you drive and such.

MattybPDX
08-22-2017, 02:03 PM
That's really only benefit of the 703 injectors. Quicker start up and throttle response. Might be able to pick up a mpg or 2 depending on how you drive and such. Eventually I am going to put on a 60mm throttle body, 99+ manifold, and cowl intake, but in the meantime, there's enough falling apart that needs attention, and money.

MattybPDX
08-25-2017, 09:15 AM
Well I fixed my ac/air problem. I pulled everything apart, checked power to the controls, checked continuity between controls, switch, and resistor, pulled the relay out, put everything back
together and it worked. Maybe a loose wire, I dunno but I told muy wife I "fixed" it.

MattybPDX
09-03-2017, 03:28 PM
Added a couple of hp with this sweet stripe! I finally bought a torque wrench and checked everything under the front end. Tie rod and the pitman arm nut were nowhere near spec, that would explain all the clunking and bump steer. Made sure everything was torqued properly and greased all the fittings. Only took a short test drive but I noticed no clunking and significantly less bump steer.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170903/828b4c39a093e8f2abb82753342852b1.jpg

MattybPDX
09-10-2017, 10:13 PM
New fan! Not the most exciting thing bit it's something. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170911/99667a88597718420bb03b2b74a448a4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170911/d58f852684e2200b410e52baa3162fdf.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170911/59fcaea22a6d10604be9c48335ba8076.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170911/d59ff9a7f75b3ffcaa15543896f0ea34.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170911/743d353518482d1438291bc1ece96dcd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170911/c02cfab3ca54873e680f83a224754dbb.jpg

MattybPDX
09-19-2017, 10:41 PM
New idler pulley. Just as exciting as the new fan I know. Next up is to bump stop, raise my flares and trim and I can start seeing how she does on trails.

4.3LXJ
09-20-2017, 09:22 AM
New idler pulley. Just as exciting as the new fan I know. Next up is to bump stop, raise my flares and trim and I can start seeing how she does on trails.

The acid test, and most fun :bacondance:

MattybPDX
09-20-2017, 11:40 AM
Another exciting update! When moving the fan to adjust the belt I ripped one of the wires out of the connector. Recrimped that and I have a fan again.

MattybPDX
10-14-2017, 12:01 AM
Just ordered these so I can make my own disconnects. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171014/9b33ced2b7c697e2b7bd62b8770333b4.jpg

MattybPDX
10-22-2017, 04:43 PM
sway bar construction has commenced. I need to take the old ones off to steal some parts off, bend the metal for the brackets, paint, then throw them on there. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171022/401ea0dc39908e9abfc0398c51a6637b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171022/6b53402480669e6036bf854591a86fe3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171022/1e6badfdf472931d2b7fbcae9750b3c1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171022/21457da0b76330633bf70b5c41532cd2.jpg

MattybPDX
10-30-2017, 05:11 PM
New windshield. Hopefully that will fix the leak and I won't need a canoe inside the jeep anymore.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171030/c6cb5748e62a1bd069e7e00ed3465f07.jpg

MattybPDX
11-03-2017, 12:52 PM
So far so good with the windshield. It's rained a little and the inside is dry.

MattybPDX
11-05-2017, 07:46 PM
Went on a Sunday stroll today. Stuck mostly to the roads but did a couple trails. Little jeep did awesome, I was super impressed. I really need to bumpstop and cut those fenders off, got a little bit of rubbing. If we went more balls out I'm sure there would have been a lot more. I'm thinking of putting a 1" spacer up front and 2" shackle to get an extra inch and level the jeep out since the leafs sagged a bit. I often wonder if all this time and money is worth it, she definitely convinced me it is. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/2dafa33239de8b21d013729cf9e876d1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/19e578361ca3f3ad1a6fe0b73bf53558.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/795db9d89b260a1ae42de2f20a8efa67.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/49d52e1703a3fb49431977d5cf442d2c.jpg

MattybPDX
11-05-2017, 07:47 PM
More pics. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/883aae9febb671fa1964014f5d4af76a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/2de986cf2451454a91e5e2de8d4f1d24.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/7c8a4e66b44de01adda23423b46405d4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/e5d4053e616d13e2bb47cb3fcec02029.jpg

MattybPDX
11-05-2017, 07:48 PM
And the rest. No action shots since we weren't really expecting to do anything major. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/cbd7cea12e52c41c4eb09680a483f418.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/6e5aeff8b952390844469ce56f3f79cf.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/5e7a41f187317a8a102af17f30304cdc.jpg

bluedragon436
11-05-2017, 08:28 PM
Looks like a good time was had by all... Don't have to do anything hardcore, so long as everyone had a good time, that's all that matters... Even the pups look like they were having fun....

MattybPDX
11-05-2017, 08:35 PM
Looks like a good time was had by all... Don't have to do anything hardcore, so long as everyone had a good time, that's all that matters... Even the pups look like they were having fun.... It definitely reinvigorated my spirit to keep building and helped reinstate the thought that you don't need to biggest and best stuff right away, just a little bit at a time will do. This as technically her maiden voyage for trails, always just stuck to the roads before.

MattybPDX
12-29-2017, 10:00 PM
Got a hi lift from the in-laws for Christmas. I also got a basket extension. My project today was to mount the hi lift to the basket.

The first picture is just a placement of where I want it to sit. I had some flat bar sitting around from another project so I made some braces for extra support. I had to get longer bolts and spacers to reach the flat bar. Picture 2 shows the jack mount with the spacers and longer bolts. Pic 3 is with both mounts bolted down. I used my ladder as a make shift paint booth. There's a couple layers of self etching primer and tomorrow I'm going to go over them with rustoleum bed liner. I'm not much of a fabber and all I had to work with was an angle grinder, hacksaw and assorted hand tools. They didn't come out too bad, they are not all the same size but I at least smoothed out all the edges.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171230/c47833595a512a15cd2266852553c22e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171230/7bd26bb59fafb5b7d40ca9dd47907031.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171230/ac0e7028c6fe18974592fe52a4ecbf4f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171230/2646f99ebbcedffb52629cdca9ec9ee9.jpg

4.3LXJ
12-29-2017, 10:56 PM
Ain't Christmas fun? I got a couple of goodies too, but tools to make more Jeep parts :D

MattybPDX
01-03-2018, 09:29 AM
Got the hi lift mounted and the basket put up there. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180103/0a723281c8b7f93df6a16144ab28537b.jpg

Pinkyman
01-04-2018, 10:08 AM
Went on a Sunday stroll today. Stuck mostly to the roads but did a couple trails. Little jeep did awesome, I was super impressed. I really need to bumpstop and cut those fenders off, got a little bit of rubbing. If we went more balls out I'm sure there would have been a lot more. I'm thinking of putting a 1" spacer up front and 2" shackle to get an extra inch and level the jeep out since the leafs sagged a bit. I often wonder if all this time and money is worth it, she definitely convinced me it is.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/795db9d89b260a1ae42de2f20a8efa67.jpg

You know how i know im getting old? Because i noticed you have the "Graco Contender 65"....... Its the same one we use lol!

MattybPDX
01-04-2018, 10:25 AM
You know how i know im getting old? Because i noticed you have the "Graco Contender 65"....... Its the same one we use lol!Those things are sweet! The 6 year old just grew out of his booster. It makes life a little bit easier.

carloxj
03-21-2018, 02:15 AM
Nice Cherokee. I like the mounting bracket for the hi-lift.

MattybPDX
04-18-2018, 12:41 PM
After months of battling tapatalk, I finally just deleted it. Got a new daily driver for work/personal and debated on selling the ol pig of a jeep. I can't go through with it. Despite all it's problems, I still live the piece of shit. The plan is to upgrade some stuff here and there and bring it to the Gambler in july. It's gonna be a hell if a time.

MattybPDX
04-18-2018, 12:44 PM
Thanks bud, I think I need to reinforce it a little bit better, and get bumpers I can actually use it with of course.

4.3LXJ
04-18-2018, 01:39 PM
Good to hear from you again. Funny how these Jeeps grow on you. I could never sell mine

MattybPDX
04-18-2018, 02:01 PM
It was literally heart breaking to think about not having it. It needs so much work, but I still couldn't do it. Plus, it's not worth shit so it's not like we'd get much for it.

4.3LXJ
04-18-2018, 02:03 PM
That is true. Once you modify any rig, you cannot get even as much as a stock rig most of the time. Car lots won't touch them. Besides, if I got rid of it I would just have to start over. I could never be happy with a stock rig anyway

MattybPDX
04-18-2018, 02:05 PM
It's not even that, the steering is ****ed, the doors don't lock, the door doesn't close, real main seal needs to be replaced, leaking coolant from somewhere, ticking sound from the cluster when I go over 25mph, and probably more that I can't think of.

4.3LXJ
04-18-2018, 02:17 PM
Doors don't close? Door sagging by any chance?

MattybPDX
04-18-2018, 03:45 PM
Doesn't seal is a better wsy to put it. The drivers side door fell off years ago and the hinges weren't welded back on correctly leaving s 1/4" gap in the corner by the windshield. Over time that gap has gotten bigger.

4.3LXJ
04-18-2018, 04:50 PM
Oh, I don't have any suggestions then. Rather than a cluster, I would look at the CV joint on the front shaft and rear if you have one. A cluster should make noise in any gear. But if you really think it is a cluster, put some PowerPunch gear additive in it. It will probably quiet down

MattybPDX
04-19-2018, 12:09 PM
Using very sophisticated imaging software I can see that my drag link and track bar aren't parallel. I'm thinking a drop pitman arm could have been a cure to my steering problem that i've been battling for well over a year now. I'm picking up a durango box from someone today and figure I might as well put a new pitman arm on there and spacer.

4.3LXJ
04-19-2018, 12:34 PM
Yup, that might be the ticket. What steering problem have you been having?

MattybPDX
04-19-2018, 12:44 PM
Real bad wandering and bumpsteer. New drag link, tie rod with ends, trackbar, caster is about 7 degrees, ball joint and wheel bearings don't have any play in them.

4.3LXJ
04-19-2018, 12:54 PM
And then there is that steering wheel position. Is your drag link adjust all the way in or out?

MattybPDX
04-19-2018, 01:25 PM

4.3LXJ
04-19-2018, 02:30 PM
I am thinking you can shorten that up quite a bit and straiten the steering wheel out. Steering box tight? I know you are replacing it, but if it is loose it can make a rig wander

denverd1
04-19-2018, 04:20 PM
bar and link are pretty damn close to parallel!

4.3LXJ
04-19-2018, 05:53 PM
Yes they are really. I don't think this is causing bump steer. I think you have something else going on there

MattybPDX
04-20-2018, 10:12 AM
Everything is either new or still tight. I'm changing the box and spacer next week.

bluedragon436
04-21-2018, 05:41 PM
I think even with my "new" steering setup I have some bump steer.. but not nearly as much as the original setup had...

MattybPDX
04-22-2018, 02:31 PM
It's really bad. My wife won't even drive it. Only $40 for a durango box from a dude in town, so it's a cheap iinvestment to know everything has been replaced. Worst case scenario, spend another dm $20-$30 and totally rebuild it .The only other thing i can think of is drop brackets for the control arms

bluedragon436
04-23-2018, 04:21 AM
Yeah, never hurts to know that everything is brand new and should be good... It does certainly suck to replaced part after part trying to chase an issue... But at least once the issue is taken care of... you know your stuff is good to go for a while...

MattybPDX
04-24-2018, 10:17 PM
Just picked up a box from a '99 Durango. It's dirty as all hell but I'll clean it up. I put a vice grip on the output shaft and it had about 3.25 turns lock to lock, not too bad. The spacer I ordered should be in on Saturday then it's swap day. I may even do some videos for youtube. While I'm down there I may as well check my steering ujoints.

nickyg
04-25-2018, 02:31 PM
Please post a video. I have been thinking about doin this for a while.

denverd1
04-25-2018, 04:08 PM
Just picked up a box from a '99 Durango. It's dirty as all hell but I'll clean it up. I put a vice grip on the output shaft and it had about 3.25 turns lock to lock, not too bad. The spacer I ordered should be in on Saturday then it's swap day. I may even do some videos for youtube. While I'm down there I may as well check my steering ujoints.

sweet. need to pull mine, rebuild then tap for hydro assist.

MattybPDX
04-25-2018, 10:43 PM
If I do, it's not going to be a how-to, just a before and after comparison.

MattybPDX
04-25-2018, 10:44 PM
Do it!

denverd1
04-26-2018, 02:09 PM
bleepin jeep has a pretty good video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=661ov4GIXAA&t=7s

MattybPDX
04-26-2018, 09:03 PM
He looks so young!

MattybPDX
05-03-2018, 08:41 PM
My axle side track bar bolt hole is about 1/8" bigger than the bolt. I'm using the stock bolt and flag nut which I hear is a m9 shank but m10 thread. This could be the cause if my steering clunk. From what I've read, getting an actual m10 bolt with m10 shank will fix this up. I don't have access to a welder so tge washer trick isn't doable.

4.3LXJ
05-03-2018, 08:43 PM
You might also check into standard size bolts. The trick is to get a bolt that fills all the hole, both flange and bushing

MattybPDX
05-04-2018, 10:51 AM
Well, after looking on the rc site, one of those "extra" bolts I pushed aside was a 10mm. I'll have to see what I did with that.

4.3LXJ
05-04-2018, 12:30 PM
Probably in some parallel dimension

MattybPDX
05-04-2018, 12:40 PM
With all the 10mm sockets

bluedragon436
05-07-2018, 07:12 AM
Hope your install went smoothly... Only issue I had with my installation of the Durango box was I did the IRO spacer, and needed to add some washers between the spacer and the gearbox to allow for the larger gearbox to fit in the spacer... I just made a quick run to the hardware store less than a block away and picked up a few washers to use as spacers, and haven't had any issues out of it since I finished the install...