PDA

View Full Version : NP242 front seal issue

Mudderoy
04-03-2016, 03:17 PM

I wonder if this means the bearing is going out too.

4.3LXJ
04-03-2016, 05:35 PM
Probably not, but give it a wiggle and a spin if you an. If it is smooth and tight, I wouldn't worry about it

bruggz351
04-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Agreed.
On the same subject, I replaced both front and rear seals, but they both still leak. The rear seal I know turned inside out. Ergo, it lost its spring.
Is there a trick to installing these seals, and keeping them from turning inside out?
p.s. sorry for the wee hijack. But it is on subject. 😊

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
04-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Agreed.
On the same subject, I replaced both front and rear seals, but they both still leak. The rear seal I know turned inside out. Ergo, it lost its spring.
Is there a trick to installing these seals, and keeping them from turning inside out?

Tap them in with a hammer hitting a plate over the seal. Don'e let anything else touch the seal

Mudderoy
04-03-2016, 09:22 PM
Agreed.

No worries, it's a good question.

cantab27
04-03-2016, 10:09 PM
its cause ya need the down under seals jase ...............

slvmart
04-04-2016, 04:01 AM
Greasing the seal before installation usually helps with install. As does the appropriate sized socket or piece of pipe, that just sits on the outside seal edge.

Not a big fan of the hammer install technique. But that's just me. If there is a leak around the bearing, there is no amount of properly installed seal that will work like a dam.

This may be possible situation where using a bit of UV dye might be informative.