PDA

View Full Version : Boxing unibody before installing new floors

Olie's87XJ
03-29-2016, 08:59 PM
so, I recently replaced the floors in my 87 2 door. Before i did that tho, I boxed the top of the unibody rails, and essentially made a square frame from front control arm mounts to the the front leaf spring mounts, and tied in a plate over those mounts to the new boxed unibody. I then welded in my new floor pans.

anyway, my questions are: has anybody done this. was it worth it, I still have a lot of work to do to the rest of the jeep before its back on the road, id just like to know what you guys think.

thanks

4.3LXJ
03-29-2016, 09:52 PM
That certainly couldn't hurt. I haven't done it, but any strength you give the "frame" is worth the investment

XJ Wheeler
03-29-2016, 11:00 PM
I've actually never heard of anyone doing this, but like steve said any help you can give the unibody is good. I think it would strengthen it for sure. How much, I don't know. But a good move in my opinion. What material/thickness did you use in there?

Olie's87XJ
03-30-2016, 04:54 PM
thanks guys, I couldnt see how it could hurt either. the material i used measures 0.13 inches. We had a bunch of pieces laying around the shop that just happened to fit perfectly between the two sides. i had to narrow it out at the front control arm mounts, but that was easy with the plasma cutter. then i stitch welded the full perimeter of the plate.

I only did it because i had the floor out, and now i have a plate above the front leaf spring mount for a cage... maybe. I was also thinking of making a cross member from leaf mount to leaf mount.

prerunner1982
04-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Sounds worthwhile to me, especially since you had the scrap and the tools.