PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for door fix

cpttuna
03-27-2016, 03:22 PM
2 of the jeeps have the driver door drop about 1/4" or so after you open it an inch or two. I was thinking( jack up door and tack weld door hinges) Is it that simple to fix it?

4.3LXJ
03-27-2016, 04:18 PM
It is simpler than that. Your hinges are worn, so the door drops a little due to the wear where the pins go through. They are bolted on to the door and under the hinges are some shims the factory uses to align the door. You can add a shim or take one out of the top and put it in the bottom.

cpttuna
03-27-2016, 04:36 PM
thanks Steve. Do you do house calls by chance?

bluedragon436
03-27-2016, 10:52 PM
Is it de to hinge wear, or due to the A-pillar portion of the hinges pulling from the pillar?? I know this is a common thing on the 2dr XJ's, due to the large size/weight of the doors, but have seen quite a few 4dr models with similar issues.. I know there are a few places I've seen that have beef up plates for the pillar mounts, if that be the case..

4.3LXJ
03-28-2016, 09:38 AM
thanks Steve. Do you do house calls by chance?

:D My travel radius is only as far as my shop :D

Is it de to hinge wear, or due to the A-pillar portion of the hinges pulling from the pillar?? I know this is a common thing on the 2dr XJ's, due to the large size/weight of the doors, but have seen quite a few 4dr models with similar issues.. I know there are a few places I've seen that have beef up plates for the pillar mounts, if that be the case..

One of the things that causes the tearing of the metal in the pillars is the door dropping when opening. It is like hitting that metal with a big hammer. Keeping it adjusted keeps this from happening

prerunner1982
04-05-2016, 09:21 AM
I have two (a 2 door and a 4 door) that have this issue, but it is the hinge that is pulling away from the A pillar so I will be addressing that in the near future.

Earl you can weld the hinge back on if it is infact coming away but you want consider doing this instead of or in addition too welding. If you have easy access to a welder I would do both.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3021&highlight=door+hinge+weld

bluedragon436
04-05-2016, 01:20 PM
T&M Fabrication (http://www.t-mfab.com/store-3/?model_number=xjmjhb) is one of the places/ideas that I was thinking for the separating A-pillar... To at least fix that portion of pulling part... and of course check the hing pins as they do wear out as Steve said..