PDA

View Full Version : Brake tabs

NC_Xplorer
03-25-2016, 02:28 PM
While changing the ball joints out on my 98 XJ, I noticed the brake pads had worn notches in the brackets on the knuckle where they sit. Is the a fix for this or do I just need to spend the money and replace both knuckles?http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160325/e055f5e7122d9451bebb2b573b75af5a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
03-25-2016, 02:32 PM
I ran slight grooves on my 98 brakes... But when I first saw them, saw a few folks that said they had someone throw some weld in there to fill in the notch, and then grind the excess down.. I didn't have the option f anyone that could toss weld in there on mine, so just ran it as is... granted mine wasn't too bad.. actually looked about the same as yours... I just made sure that the pads didn't move around enough to come loose or fall out/jamb up

4.3LXJ
03-25-2016, 02:53 PM
There are two fixes. One, you can weld the worn spots and then grind them smooth. The second is to replace the knuckle, which means you would also need an alignment afterwards to.

abebehrmann
03-25-2016, 03:31 PM
While changing the ball joints out on my 98 XJ, I noticed the brake pads had worn notches in the brackets on the knuckle where they sit. Is the a fix for this or do I just need to spend the money and replace both knuckles?http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160325/e055f5e7122d9451bebb2b573b75af5a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yep, as others said you can either weld up the worn grooves and grind back down smooth or replace the whole knuckle.

I had a sticky caliper a few years back and I was worried the notches may have contributed to it so I wanted to have them welded up at the same time I replaced the calipers. I had one hell of a time finding someone who would do it for me. The first 10 or so places I asked, as soon as they heard "welding" and "brakes" they said no without even actually listening to what the problem was. Finally found a place that would do it for me but looking back, I should have just used the money to buy a cheapo Harbor Freight welder and go to town. Would have spent about the same money, but I'd also have had a welder to fool around with as well. If you are near Dallas, I'd be happy to help you out with that.

NC_Xplorer
03-25-2016, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the replies. Welding them did cross my mind. I have access to a welder at work. Guess that will be on my short list of repairs to do soon.

bruggz351
03-26-2016, 06:33 AM
Alrighty then.
Being that the caliper brackets are cast, is there a special way to treat them?
IE, pre and post heating. ???

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
03-26-2016, 10:22 AM
Good question. They are cast, but apparently not nodular iron. The heating and so forth is done on iron for structural welds. These welds are what amounts to a tack weld, so it isn't necessary to heat and so forth

bruggz351
03-26-2016, 06:16 PM
Thanks for that, Steve.
I, as I assume most of you do, have a mountain of these around the place. All of them with the groove worn in 'em.
Reckon I'll repair a couple now. 😊 cheers.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
03-26-2016, 07:09 PM
Burggz, if you do run into a truly cast iron piece, use nickel stick on them. It will stick much better and be somewhat structural. I repaired an exhaust manifold manifold on my 4.3 that way.

abebehrmann
03-28-2016, 01:16 PM
Burggz, if you do run into a truly cast iron piece, use nickel stick on them. It will stick much better and be somewhat structural. I repaired an exhaust manifold manifold on my 4.3 that way.

Just be ready to shell out the $$$ for those rods. I think they're like $20 for 5 rods at my local welding store.

From the studying I've been doing over the last few months, for cast iron you should preheat in a forge, weld, then stick it back into the forge and let it cool slowly overnight for the strongest cast welds.

4.3LXJ
03-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Yes, they are not cheap, but you will only need one rod. I can buy by the stick locally for exotic stuff

abebehrmann
03-29-2016, 11:19 AM
And just like clockwork, one of my favorite Youtube channels posted a video on welding cast iron with nickel rods.

https://youtu.be/P_Jy-WS-z6g

JBone
03-31-2016, 08:59 AM
Pretty common problem on the D30 axles. I welded mine but before I did I heated them up with a torch just a bit to ensure the weld sticks as it is cast metal.... I think

I heard of people using these to prevent that from happening.
Amazon.com: Crown Automotive J3239865 Brake Caliper Support Spring: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31VJe%2BsC4pL.@@AMEPARAM@@31VJe%2BsC4pL

Their cheap so I'm going to try them.

My passenger side pads are wearing faster than the drivers side for some reason and there's a rattle somewhere int here too. I put in new slider pins and its still the same :confused:

abebehrmann
03-31-2016, 09:02 AM
Pretty common problem on the D30 axles. I welded mine but before I did I heated them up with a torch just a bit to ensure the weld sticks as it is cast metal.... I think

I heard of people using these to prevent that from happening.
Amazon.com: Crown Automotive J3239865 Brake Caliper Support Spring: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Automotive-J3239865-Caliper-Support/dp/B009X1UZ3E)

Their cheap so I'm going to try them.

My passenger side pads are wearing faster than the drivers side for some reason and there's a rattle somewhere int here too. I put in new slider pins and its still the same :confused:

I've heard of those. Let us know how they work out for you.