PDA

View Full Version : Need help with minor coolant leak and temp gauge

mfran12335
03-01-2016, 07:51 PM
I have a 2000 xj sport sport and two questions. I had the coolant system flushed a few months ago when inspected.

When leaving work I noticed a small spot of coolant in the parking lot today at front driver side corner. Coolant level is okay for now. Didn't get a real good look yet but looks like it could be coming from the larger hose into the driver side of the radiator or a smaller hose below it. What is the smaller hose going to? Any suggestions what to do or look for?

Also the temperature gauge was dropping to about 160 today and ride back up to 210 randomly on my drive home today. Bad coolant sensor?

Could the two issues be related? I'm new to working on the jeep but I want to try to diagonosis it myself.

Carves
03-01-2016, 07:59 PM
Varying temp display is probably just the connector not sitting firmly on the temp sensor.

Make sure the contacts are clean and secure ... and its all fragile so be gentle.

re the leak ...

Check that the hose clamp is tight.

Check that the nut on the smaller line is tight.

Tight ... not neanderthal tight .. ;);) .. :D

Cheromaniac
03-02-2016, 04:09 AM
I have a 2000 xj sport sport and two questions. I had the coolant system flushed a few months ago when inspected.

When leaving work I noticed a small spot of coolant in the parking lot today at front driver side corner. Coolant level is okay for now. Didn't get a real good look yet but looks like it could be coming from the larger hose into the driver side of the radiator or a smaller hose below it. What is the smaller hose going to? Any suggestions what to do or look for?

Also the temperature gauge was dropping to about 160 today and right back up to 210 randomly on my drive home today. Bad coolant sensor?

Could the two issues be related? I'm new to working on the jeep but I want to try to diagnose it myself.

1. The spot of coolant could be coming either from the joint between the lower radiator hose and the radiator, or from the radiator itself. With the engine idling and up to temp. so that the cooling system is pressurized, it should be easy to spot where it's coming from. If you have a conventional hose clamp rather than a factory spring clamp, tighten it up.
The smaller hose could be the line coming from the auto tranny to the heat exchanger inside the radiator.

2. The temp. gauge could be fluctuating for any one of the following reasons: air inside the cooling system, faulty sending unit, or sticking thermostat. Topping up the radiator and the expansion reservoir with coolant should steady the temp. reading if it's the first reason.