PDA

View Full Version : Newer than a Cherokee - Recommendations?

packmule1911
03-01-2016, 08:23 AM
My wife's minivan is no longer reliable, or much fun. We're looking for a replacement, would like to stick with Jeep, and we don't have a ton of money. In the family now are a '01 XJ Limited, and a '95 ZJ Laredo.

What newer model Jeep's would be good choices, and the most similar to what we have, so that I can capitalize on the general repair experience I've gotten from what we already have?

I've seen low mileage 4WD Liberty models for under $15k. 4WD is a requirement, and $15k is probably the maximum we'd want to spend (borrow).

Thanks for your suggestions.

denverd1
03-01-2016, 09:52 AM
for 15K you could get a newer Grand or Commander. Not much will be similar from the rigs you've worked on . an LJ or TJ would be much more similar. We have a 2009 WK we bought just out of your price range, but again, not very comparable mechanically to what you've got. I'd probably look for a newer ZJ

4.3LXJ
03-01-2016, 10:05 AM
The mechanical part is about right. They made a big change starting in 99 and went to much more electronics. If you wanted to take advantage of the 4.0 those were used in the WJ up to 04 and can be gotten reasonably

abebehrmann
03-01-2016, 10:11 AM
Probably the most similar and newest would be a 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee. While there are differences in the components, it's still basically the same overall set up as the ones you already have experience with. Can get them with the trusty 4.0L too.

Although, now that I think about it, these are 12 years old already but you could pick one up for <$5k and still have money left over to fix it up.

Any newer than this, Wranglers excluded, and you're going to have to deal with Independent Front Suspension or Fully Independent Suspension and a lot more electrical things to go wrong.

packmule1911
03-01-2016, 10:39 AM
Thanks All. I expect a number of differences, but would like to stick with the Jeep-ness vibe.

I think she'd like another XJ Limited if we could find a really clean low-mileage one. However, the older the vehicle, the worse to loan terms are it seems. We've not had car payments for about 8 years. Not looking forward to that scenario changing, but the emergency fund's been consumed by other things.

When I caught the Jeep bug, I was looking for a Commander for me. Ended up falling for the XJ I have.

packmule1911
03-01-2016, 10:55 AM
This one looks nice, but I'm not sure she'd go for it. I would though.

http://www.shawautogroupnc.com/Inventory.html?group=968&vehid=793401

denverd1
03-01-2016, 11:02 AM
^ that looks about as good as you could do IMO.

or you could get this:
http://www.jeep.com/en/renegade/#model=sport&color=jetset-blue&category=standard
finance it for 84 months, be upside down from day 1 and NEVER get it paid off!!

JUST KIDDING!! wish more folks thought like you, would make my job a LOT easier!!

prerunner1982
03-01-2016, 11:34 AM
How come nobody has suggested a KL Cherokee? :confused::smiley-angelic006:

Mudderoy
03-01-2016, 12:27 PM
The only newer Jeep I would consider for myself would be a TJ. They stopped making those in 2006. I'm assuming they still used the 4.0L until then.

abebehrmann
03-01-2016, 12:55 PM
The only newer Jeep I would consider for myself would be a TJ. They stopped making those in 2006. I'm assuming they still used the 4.0L until then.

They did, but in 05-06 they changed the design of the Oil Pump Drive Assembly (OPDA) that basically fits in the same spot as the distributor of our Pre-00 4.0L's and these are known to fail. Basically, for some reason they changed the design of this so that they have a non-lubricated bushing that has the tendency to seize leaving you with no oil pressure and a burnt up engine. I installed a new, redesigned, OPDA ASAP once we bought my girlfriend's TJ. Other than that, to my knowledge they are just as reliable.

A guy in my old Jeep Club had one OPDA go out, had the dealer replace with a used engine, didn't replace the OPDA again (even though multiple members warned him to), and 3 months later his Jeep was back at the dealership getting another used engine...

denverd1
03-01-2016, 01:46 PM

me too

Mudderoy
03-01-2016, 03:14 PM
me too

I like the JKU but I learned recently that if you get 120k out of the engine you're lucky. Very disappointing. Plus the sheet metal is much thinner on the JK/JKU than the TJ.

Carves
03-01-2016, 07:52 PM
My wife's minivan is no longer reliable,

would like to stick with Jeep,

A TJ minivan then ??

http://www.thelongranger.com.au/Tanks/TA54/jeep_wrangler_ta54_long_ranger_custom_fuel_tank_1. jpg

Just pulling your leg .. ;);) .. :D

WJ would probably be worth a look if you want something newer and bigger.

packmule1911
03-01-2016, 10:09 PM
Tonight she said she liked the Ford Explorer.

I need to learn the initials of all of them. Hadn't heard of JKU before, and the others aren't top of mind either.

Mudderoy
03-02-2016, 12:07 AM
Tonight she said she liked the Ford Explorer.

I need to learn the initials of all of them. Hadn't heard of JKU before, and the others aren't top of mind either.

JKU is the 4 door 2007 - present Wrangler.

denverd1
03-02-2016, 02:08 PM
I like the JKU but I learned recently that if you get 120k out of the engine you're lucky. Very disappointing. Plus the sheet metal is much thinner on the JK/JKU than the TJ.

pentastar?

abebehrmann
03-02-2016, 02:41 PM
pentastar?

They talked about this on the podcast for a bit. I still contend that the 3.6L Pentastar is a pretty good engine and all the bad crap you hear about the JK/JKU engines is mostly from the earlier 3.8L engines.

I hear the JK wiring, no matter which engine, is a PITA to deal with though.