PDA

View Full Version : Front driveshaft problem

myjeep
02-28-2016, 12:52 PM
i found out what my vibration is on my jeep conversion the u joint on the transfer case is maxed out and is hitting the yoke. i have a cardian joint on my dana 30 and a trick joint on the transfer case. i need to flip the drive shaft, and pit the cardian joint on the transfer case like it should. the drive shaft shop by me said it is easier to put the cardian joint on the axle than trying to find a yoke for the transfer case.

i have the 231c case and a lp dana 30 and i need to get the yokes for it or if i can flip the yokes when i flip the shaft?

thanks
andy

NW99XJ
02-28-2016, 01:42 PM
Sound more like a pinion or shaft issue than a problem with the yoke.
Unless you have clocked your T-case, the front yoke (as it is stock) should be adequate enough for anything up to 8" of lift before you start running into issues.
I have heard many times of vibrations being tracked down to the front drive shaft, and more often times than not, it has nothing to do with the yokes, and typically is the shaft itself or the u-joints. A set of replacement joints, and having the drive-line rebalanced typically solves the issue. If you are running a lift of 4" or more and have fixed length control arms, your pinion is going to be way off from where it should be, and no amount of custom yoke fitting will solve your vibration issue. There are a variety of charts and opinions out there as to what the pinion angle (in degrees) is supposed to be for "X" amount of lift. If i remember correctly, for 5" of lift its somewhere around 5-6 degrees. I could be off, but the science behind this is sound.
Check your pinion angles, and make sure your working with a good shaft and joints before you go and start thinking of custom output yokes.
P.S. from all my years on the trail, I have never seen or heard of anyone flipping their front drive-line on a Cherokee.... just sayin..... be wary of advice you get from people who dont own Jeeps.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!

myjeep
02-28-2016, 01:52 PM
this is what i have

Mudderoy
02-28-2016, 03:47 PM
this is what i have

Either you have your rear double cardin driveshaft on backwards, or I do.

I have mine like this.... I believe this is the same way the front driveshaft is. Double cardin on the transfer case.
http://go.jeep-xj.info/SYE14.jpg

From the Tom Woods site...

http://www.customdriveshafts.com/rubicon/Double_Cardan_driveshaft.gif

GoneWithTheWind
02-28-2016, 04:00 PM
There are a lot of good used Dana 30 HP's out there.

Rockfrog
02-28-2016, 04:33 PM
A dual Cardan yoke is about as easy to find as it gets ... Every jeep Cherokee, and Comanche since about 86-ish had one (there were a few rzeppa years). The front yoke from a 231J will bolt right onto a 231c ... The driveshaft need to be oriented the other way around.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

NW99XJ
02-29-2016, 11:40 AM
Pictures always help.
Flip that driveline around (like in the picture Mudderoy posted) and you "should" be fine.
But like the others said... I would consider swapping out that low pinion dana 30 for a high pinion dana 30.
It will be a direct bolt in, and will help your issue of vibrations slightly by reducing the overall angle.
I would still however, have that driveline looked over, and have it rebalanced.
(doesnt cost much, and gives you some peace of mind)

Mudderoy
02-29-2016, 01:22 PM
Ahhhh that's where I was confused, that's the front diff. I thought it was trying to use a front drive shaft for the rear. I see the long arms now. :S

myjeep
02-29-2016, 07:47 PM
There are a lot of good used Dana 30 HP's out there.

not around chicago. and i can find one out of state but shipping is crazy....

blazer2
03-01-2016, 08:14 PM
not around chicago. and i can find one out of state but shipping is crazy....

Midwest jeep if you haven't checked them out. They are in Valparaiso

blazer2
03-02-2016, 06:48 AM
Also look at second hand jeeps. I have not tried anything from them yet.
They are in Indiana as well. Theres a guy in Findlay Ohio that sells and rebuilds CJ's
I see his add on craigslist.
Also try www.car-parts.com
If you haven't. It's website for bone yards.

myjeep
03-10-2016, 12:22 PM
flipped the driveshaft and yokes around, and no more vibration and alot better ride.