PDA

View Full Version : Battery/Starting Issue

Pinkyman
02-26-2016, 08:33 AM
So as you may or may not know, my Xj has been out of commission for a couple of weeks with a no start condition.

When it started giving me trouble, it would crank over very very slow, but still started, and when it started it showed 14V on my gauge, and it ran fine. It was 0*F, so i chalked it up to a bad battery, and replaced it with a brand new one, but it still had the exact same condition. Over the last couple of weeks, it would turn over slower and slower, and would not start. Now it just clicks down at the starter.

I checked last night and it seemed as though my battery was dead, although my lights were bright and the radio and blower worked. I checked the battery, and it was almost at 15 Volts (obviously not running).

I did get a new starter and will be installing it tonight, but is there a reason that my battery voltage is so high? I havent had it on any type of charger or anything, and it hasnt ran since i put the new battery in.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e124/Rocketryan1/20160225_173901_zpsvcg2qgsa.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Rocketryan1/media/20160225_173901_zpsvcg2qgsa.jpg.html)

Pinkyman
02-26-2016, 08:35 AM
Also, i got under it last night and smacked the starter, and it turned over again, albeit super slow and still wouldnt start. But im hoping that the new starter takes care of it.

I need it to run so i can get it to the shop this weekend and install my T-case drop and hopefully get rid of the vibrations.

nickyg
02-26-2016, 08:57 AM
How do the cables look? Might want to change to a thicker gauge while you have everything off. 4 gauge minimum.

prerunner1982
02-26-2016, 08:59 AM
Hope the starter fixes it, sure sounds like that could be the issue.

Voltage does seem high, have you tried a different volt/multimeter? Would be odd for a new battery to have over voltage.

NW99XJ
02-26-2016, 10:46 AM
A good alternator will put out 14.4 volts or more, which is just fine. It’s when you see running voltages of 16 amps or more, or standing voltages of more than 15 that you may have cause for concern. Now if you have a reading like that, and the battery is warm(er) to the touch, then you may have some internal issues to the battery. The voltage regulator will help smooth things out a bit, and the capatance of the system as a whole will also help diminish some of that. For instance, I would bet your reading would be substantially less when measuring thru a tail light harness. The fact that your battery is holding a charge like that is a sign you have a great battery, so don’t worry too much. Now as far as the starting issue…. I ALWAYS recommend that people regularly inspect their starting and charging system cables, looking for signs of corrosion, breakage, or shorts. Also, realize that the starter is also controlled by a solenoid. In the case of most of our Jeeps, this is right on the side of the starter housing. The solenoid can be replaced, and the starter can be rebuilt, saving yourself a lot of money. I always recommend doing this over a direct swap, as it’s not only cost effective, but relatively easy, and gives you a good understanding of how things work. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube that do a very good job of walking you thru the process.
Give it a shot on a junkyard starter if you don’t want to risk doing something to your own that you can’t undo.
Chances are things are worn, and could use a little refreshing. The brushes, contacts, and the internals could all benefit at the very least from a good cleaning, and re-greasing. If a rebuild is not an option for you, then by all means replace it…. But before you do, at least clean the terminals, and contacts on the outside, and inspect the cables.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck!
-Josh
www.TheJeepTalkShow.com

GoneWithTheWind
02-26-2016, 12:08 PM
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=382

denverd1
02-26-2016, 12:26 PM
clean the contacts and leads on the starter. Have the leaky oil adapter by chance? or rear main seal? Both can coat your starter and the leads with oil. give it a good cleaning along with your battery post connectors

Pinkyman
02-26-2016, 12:33 PM
Thank you guys. I am very familiar with the starter and how it works, i was more or less wondering why my battery was at 15V. That seemed off to me. I already sourced a $20 starter, and will be replacing it tonight. While im at it I may clean the grounds and replace the cable ends also.

denverd1
02-26-2016, 12:36 PM
probably a VERY fresh battery. Deep cycle?

Pinkyman
02-27-2016, 09:19 AM
Well I found out why the starter was free....... I'm on my way to go pick up one that actually fits now lol. I really hope it's the issue after all this trouble.

Pinkyman
02-27-2016, 01:16 PM
She's alive!!! I picked up a new lifetime warranty starter, and she fired right up!

NW99XJ
02-27-2016, 01:39 PM
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=382

DANG-IT!
THAT'S the post I was trying to remember!
For some reason I had it in my head it was a video,
So i spent a good hour scouring youtube for it.
Turns out, it was just so well documented, spelled out, and well photographed that my memory confused it with a video. (damn over-active imagination)
Glad you got the problem taken care of Pinkyman.

GoneWithTheWind
02-27-2016, 02:04 PM
DANG-IT!
THAT'S the post I was trying to remember!
For some reason I had it in my head it was a video,
So i spent a good hour scouring youtube for it.
Turns out, it was just so well documented, spelled out, and well photographed that my memory confused it with a video. (damn over-active imagination)
Glad you got the problem taken care of Pinkyman.

I don't spend all my time on here being an idiot, I also do some research in the archives. :D

Mudderoy
02-27-2016, 02:31 PM
Thank you guys. I am very familiar with the starter and how it works, i was more or less wondering why my battery was at 15V. That seemed off to me. I already sourced a $20 starter, and will be replacing it tonight. While im at it I may clean the grounds and replace the cable ends also.

Did I read correctly. The 14+ volts was without the engine running? If so I don't understand how this would be possible. I don't think over charging the battery would even do this.

Mudderoy
02-27-2016, 02:33 PM
Helpful tip: If you searching for something on xjtalk.com go to google and type in something like this...

won't start site:xjtalk.com

Google's search engine is soooo much better than the one built into the software we use.

4.3LXJ
02-27-2016, 07:42 PM
Did I read correctly. The 14+ volts was without the engine running? If so I don't understand how this would be possible. I don't think over charging the battery would even do this.

It is possible. If I charge my Optimas in a battery charger, r hey will hit 15V. But not with the alternaror.