PDA

View Full Version : No start. crankis and backfires

thesupercroc
02-25-2016, 12:02 AM
XJ Talk you are my only hope!

Right now my XJ (1997 sport) is not starting. It will crank and pop like it wants to start but backfires. I have good fuel pressure, replace the crank shaft position censor, the cam shaft position censor (in the distro) I have good spark, and a new battery in it. :bang::bang::bang:

Any thoughts on what I should check next ? This is so frustrating it not even funny some time.

Thanks.

Mudderoy
02-25-2016, 12:12 AM
XJ Talk you are my only hope!

Right now my XJ (1997 sport) is not starting. It will crank and pop like it wants to start but backfires. I have good fuel pressure, replace the crank shaft position censor, the cam shaft position censor (in the distro) I have good spark, and a new battery in it. :bang::bang::bang:

Any thoughts on what I should check next ? This is so frustrating it not even funny some time.

Thanks.

Are you sure the firing order is correct? Is the CPS a Mopar part?

thesupercroc
02-25-2016, 12:38 AM
Are you sure the firing order is correct? Is the CPS a Mopar part?

I'm 90% sure about having the firing order right but i will check again tomorrow.

Genuine from the dealer Mopar CPS was used.

OrangeXJ
02-25-2016, 04:38 AM
Did this just start happening? meaning it was running good one day and would not start the next day? Or did you do any mechanical work on it and now it won't start? if this is the case go back and double check what you did.

denverd1
02-29-2016, 07:46 PM
Firing order should be on the intake IIRC. Sounds like a timing issue. I'm guessing timing changed on the Crank sensor job

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

thesupercroc
02-29-2016, 10:14 PM
Here is a update changed the distributer and the back firing when away but it's still not starting.

It cranks and pops in the next couple of days I will get a video up.

thesupercroc
03-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Well here is the link for the Youtube video of my starting attempts.

https://youtu.be/pElS-dzDDT0

Also this is after changing the Distributor and checking wire order.