PDA

View Full Version : Broke 240K, changed oil, and checked stuff, have a few questions. : )

dagod16
02-24-2016, 03:00 PM
I can't believe I am at 240,000 miles, seriously. I have never take a vehicle this far. I really feel that my son and I can go past 300K. Tranny is shifting smooth. Little bit of ummmpf going into gear but it has been like that since I bought it.

Today we changed the oil.

5w 30 for the rest of winter with a sliver of marvel mystery oil. Purs like a kitten. We used the fram filter with the rubber grip on the outside. I don't get the most expensive fram or the cheapest, I get the middle level that gets rid of 98.9% of all the dirt. I change it every 5,000 miles on the nose.

Checked the serpentine belt for cracks, didn't find any damage, looks nice.

Checked the Transfer case fluid. It is cherry red, changed it last at 190K. If it is red then why change it I guess.

Transmission fluid question....
I have changed mine at 30K, 75K, 110K, 137K 176K, 206K, and now I am thinking about it again.
Should I wait till 275K , the fluid is red/pink and looks fine. No issues
I guess every once in a while I feel like I rev up a sliver more between gears but works great. How long should this tranny last.

95% highway miles.

This summer I am doing the following.

New AC compressor and fix ac.
Replace inside headliner
Hmmmm something else but I can't think about it.

Your thoughts guys and gals. I got a new girlfriend and she won't let me take naked pics like the last one. Kinda bummed about that.

OrangeXJ
02-24-2016, 04:01 PM
My son's went 364k before we replaced the engine. The only reason we replaced It had a lot of blow by ran fine other than that. It was just wore out.

dagod16
02-24-2016, 05:06 PM
What do you mean by blow by.

Wow 364K.

I wonder what will last longer, the engine or the tranny.

abebehrmann
02-24-2016, 05:19 PM

Wow 364K.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/blowby.html

dagod16
02-24-2016, 07:31 PM
IS blow by and loss of compression the same thing?

OrangeXJ
02-25-2016, 03:32 AM

Wow 364K.

Oil was getting past the rings and into the cylinder. While running if you took the oil filler cap off smoke and pressure would come out of it. It also smoked out the exhaust a little when first started up. Never did a compression check but I'm sure it was low. The question on the tranny depends on if its a manual or auto. Depending on how you drive and tire size the manual will out last the auto.

dagod16
02-25-2016, 05:05 AM
Mine is an automatic tranny.

OrangeXJ
02-25-2016, 05:12 AM
I don't know how a XJ auto trans lasts. I would google it and see if anything comes up.

XJ Wheeler
02-25-2016, 08:13 AM
The aw4 is a good auto that can last a while. There's really no defined time a well cared for one goes but I think if it feels fine and you're maintaining it the think should last another 100k or more. Although, sometimes things out of our control just happen.

Oh, and next oil change get rid of that fram. They're proven to be made with subpar materials and engineering. I also avoid wix due to a bad personal experience.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

abebehrmann
02-25-2016, 09:17 AM
Oh, and next oil change get rid of that fram. They're proven to be made with subpar materials and engineering. I also avoid wix due to a bad personal experience.

Bleepinjeep recently did a video comparing a bunch of oil filters for the XJ, I know it's not the most scientific analysis but I was still surprised which one came out on top.

https://youtu.be/8hvUNXv5Bg0

abebehrmann
02-25-2016, 09:21 AM
IS blow by and loss of compression the same thing?

I think by definition if you have blow-by then you will have a loss of compression although a loss of compression isn't always blow-by.

XJ Wheeler
02-25-2016, 09:23 AM
Bleepinjeep recently did a video comparing a bunch of oil filters for the XJ, I know it's not the most scientific analysis but I was still surprised which one came out on top.

https://youtu.be/8hvUNXv5Bg0
Yeah, I saw that one too. Makes me think we might run the stp xl in our work truck since ac Delco discontinued the one we've been using for 9 years.

I run the k&n in my xj. It's pricey but I stand by it.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

dagod16
02-27-2016, 07:41 AM
I watched that video and I will be switching to the STP extended life oil filter. I will pay the extra. Wow I didn't realize how cheap Fram was. I really liked how it has the grip on the filter. Can I spray on my own grip.

When I hit a larger bump in the road my front end will shake from right to left or left to right. Any thoughts.

abebehrmann
02-27-2016, 02:59 PM

When I hit a larger bump in the road my front end will shake from right to left or left to right. Any thoughts.

Same thing happened to me, turned out the bolts holding the track bar bracket to the body were a little loose. Have your son saw the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect the front for anything loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

denverd1
03-01-2016, 10:10 AM
I think by definition if you have blow-by then you will have a loss of compression although a loss of compression isn't always blow-by.
This

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

dagod16
03-02-2016, 06:16 AM
W SHOOK THE WHEEL BACK AND FORTH A BIT AND FOUND NOTHING BUT WE DID figure out what the noise was. IT is coming from the steering box we think. Could the steering box be going bad?

blazer2
03-02-2016, 07:33 AM
First on the great oil filter debate.
For the better of the budget oil filters
WIX, NAPA gold made by WIX, Hastings, amsoil, royal purple.
And for oil get the best you can afford. Not all oils are the same.
Even though they are all API tested. It's what they add to the oil.
On my tow rig and plow trucks. Its Hastings filter Schrader oil.
I change the filter and top off every 3500 miles. And every 5000 miles
Complete drain and fill.
I am not saying it write but all my trucks I get to 250k++++

As for the front end do you have alot of bump steer, turning the steering wheel and the
Tires don't turn. Or the steering wheel seems to be locked when you know it's not.

abebehrmann
03-02-2016, 09:12 AM
W SHOOK THE WHEEL BACK AND FORTH A BIT AND FOUND NOTHING BUT WE DID figure out what the noise was. IT is coming from the steering box we think. Could the steering box be going bad?

What sort of noise is it again? I've been told the spacer that goes in between the steering box and the framerail of the XJ unibody is notorious for cracking. It's fairly easy to check, just remove these 3 bolts
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af15/abebehrmann/8ff11ce5-3b22-4b0d-a730-fa4fe94e22c6_zps8af17e33.jpg (http://s989.photobucket.com/user/abebehrmann/media/8ff11ce5-3b22-4b0d-a730-fa4fe94e22c6_zps8af17e33.jpg.html)

and check to see if the spacer is still intact or not. Yours will look different as this is a pic with my aftermarket bumper installed.

denverd1
03-02-2016, 07:34 PM
What sort of noise is it again? I've been told the spacer that goes in between the steering box and the framerail of the XJ unibody is notorious for cracking. It's fairly easy to check, just remove these 3 bolts
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af15/abebehrmann/8ff11ce5-3b22-4b0d-a730-fa4fe94e22c6_zps8af17e33.jpg (http://s989.photobucket.com/user/abebehrmann/media/8ff11ce5-3b22-4b0d-a730-fa4fe94e22c6_zps8af17e33.jpg.html)

and check to see if the spacer is still intact or not. Yours will look different as this is a pic with my aftermarket bumper installed.
You can pull the fan and have some work wheel while looking down at the steering gear. There's 2 lines and the input shaft to remove if you want to pull it. It's hard see the spacer so you may end up unbolting it. Airbox may need to come out too but that's easy

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole