PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable ball joints?!?

justanotherjeeplover
02-17-2016, 05:55 PM
Hey guys any input would be appreciated! So I took my 88 xj 3.5 inch lift 31 inch tires to get aligned cause the tires were wearing weird. And they did the alignment it feels alot better but he told me I need adjustable ball joints. Now my problem is do I need adjustable ball joints or just new ones. Like I don't know how long it's been since they were changed. Ill post the picture of the alignment specs before and after that they gave me. Thank you for any input.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/17/84f9a84e24df3f766d150ca5b791ac17.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/17/1af1fefea881a553825a8900c2146263.jpg

justanotherjeeplover
02-17-2016, 05:57 PM
And he's saying left front need to be adjusted 1 degree and right front need to be adjusted 4 degrees. That just doesn't seem right.

prerunner1982
02-17-2016, 06:08 PM
Im no expert... but adjustable control arms may fix some of this? It would definitely fix the caster, which may in turn fix the camber.

My theory.. and it may be totally wrong... Im assuming you have stock arms, when you lifted it the front axle is rotated nose down as evident by the caster being -4.X. Since the upper ball joints are also rotated a bit forward the reading that the machine is seeing for camber is not exactly in the same vertical plane as the ball joints. With the axle being rotated nose down and the tires being toe in the "top" of the tire will be slightly more outward than the bottom.

justanotherjeeplover
02-17-2016, 06:21 PM
Oh okay. I see what what you mean. I'm not sure either. I do need adjustable control arms. And the caster is a positive number it reads red cause it's not within spec.

prerunner1982
02-17-2016, 06:26 PM
And the caster is a positive number it reads red cause it's not within spec.

Right cause the ball joints are leaning forward not back... sorry. The rest of my info is spot on though.. :rolleyes::keegirl::smiley-scared003::flameon:

justanotherjeeplover
02-17-2016, 06:29 PM
No I totally agree! Thank you for the input. I'm not very concerned with the ball joints they don't seem bad. But I need shocks and control arms. But I just hope my tires don't wear funny!

4.3LXJ
02-17-2016, 08:40 PM
Welcome to the world of Jeep. The truth is that Jeep had Spicer build your D30s with different camber by rotating the tubes a little before pressing into the housing. The early ones all had this, including mine. It makes the Jeep pull a little to the right no matter what you do. I have heard stories as to why, but none of them make sense to me. So yes, you can fix that with an adjustable upper ball joint, but it is not necessary unless you want to be a purist

justanotherjeeplover
02-18-2016, 06:05 AM
Yeah that's all I was worried about! My Jeep is far from perfect so that's the least of my worries haha but thank you for your knowledge! That's is pretty interesting that all earlier D30's have the same problem!