PDA

View Full Version : Lessons your kids teach you....

abramj
02-08-2016, 02:56 PM
I had given a few talks about off roading to my little girl, but the freeze/thaw cycle of the ground, and the ability to feel solid, but be soft under slipped my mind. She drove off into an area that was mostly clay, and slowly sank till the front axle hit. Luckily she stopped immediately and was not very far off the gravel. She put it in reverse, and "got on it". And thanks to the front and rear lockers, she backed right out. It took her about an hour to dig the hard clay out of the wheels so she could drive home. I'm proud she stopped when she did, and got out without help. Love my little girl! I guess I will have to wait till I get grand children to get it right the first time.:D

4.3LXJ
02-08-2016, 03:26 PM
Good for her. Nothing like a little experience.

bluedragon436
02-09-2016, 12:04 AM
Nothing wrong with some experience and learning as she goes.... Also nothing wrong with having a good time and using the Jeep for what it was designed for!!!

abramj
02-09-2016, 05:52 AM
Yes, a good lesson. I purchased this as I think it is one of the most capable "stock" vehicles. The overlander was a great vehicle that is almost always underutilized. As much as all the creature comforts break down, the drive train is rock solid. She asked me once if she needed some recovery gear in case she got stuck. I told her I didn't want her pulling on any of her friends cars, and if she ended up in a place she couldn't get out of, I wanted a call. Well, she hasn't called yet. Well not when she was stuck. Lets see, ummm, once when the starter went out, and then after this event, as she didn't understand why the steering wheel was shaking???? I showed up, and said, take a look at this right wheel, you need to dig all that mud out if you want to drive 60 mph down the highway to get home. We got out enough to drive 40 and limped home to get some cleaning tools. All in all, a good day! No damage, lesson learned, and some great pictures of a jeep in it's natural state.