PDA

View Full Version : Nerf bars

packmule1911
02-08-2016, 11:37 AM
My wife and I have gotten into kayaking. It's quiet, peaceful, and therefore very different from the rest of our lives. We've got a 12' sit on top angler model, and a 10', and they both go on top of the Jeep. That's 125 lbs. on a rack that claims 150 lb. capacity. So far so good.

However, getting the parts together to lift it 2-3", but even now it's a bit hard for use to get these boats up. Need some steps.

What do you all like to nerf bars/step sides that cost less than $100, and are pretty simple to install?

Mudderoy
02-08-2016, 11:57 AM
My wife and I have gotten into kayaking. It's quiet, peaceful, and therefore very different from the rest of our lives. We've got a 12' sit on top angler model, and a 10', and they both go on top of the Jeep. That's 125 lbs. on a rack that claims 150 lb. capacity. So far so good.

However, getting the parts together to lift it 2-3", but even now it's a bit hard for use to get these boats up. Need some steps.

What do you all like to nerf bars/step sides that cost less than $100, and are pretty simple to install?

I remember telling a Jeep owner and co-worker about my goal to be nerf bars on my Jeep when I got around to lifting it. He taught me my first lesson about off roading. Nerf bar will be good at hanging you up off road.

So if you want to trade a step for less clearance off road I'd say it's a good idea, but something you should consider.

packmule1911
02-08-2016, 12:12 PM
I remember telling a Jeep owner and co-worker about my goal to be nerf bars on my Jeep when I got around to lifting it. He taught me my first lesson about off roading. Nerf bar will be good at hanging you up off road.

So if you want to trade a step for less clearance off road I'd say it's a good idea, but something you should consider.

It's not likely I'm going to be doing what anyone would really call off roading. Logging roads, trails, camping trips, snow, pretty mellow.

4.3LXJ
02-08-2016, 12:36 PM
The stuff for less than a C note is probably not going to be what you want. I would suggest using a folding step stool (I do) until you can save up enough to get some rockers that have a piece of tubing sticking out you can use for a step. They also provide a margin of safety against side impacts

packmule1911
02-08-2016, 12:43 PM
The stuff for less than a C note is probably not going to be what you want. I would suggest using a folding step stool (I do) until you can save up enough to get some rockers that have a piece of tubing sticking out you can use for a step. They also provide a margin of safety against side impacts

That's what I was seeing. A loop of tubing sticking out between the wheels, with flats under each door to step on.

Thankfully, I have a step stool, and we have hope I don't topple over when using it.

4.3LXJ
02-08-2016, 12:45 PM
Best step stool I ever had is made by Little Giant. I use it for all kinds of things, like working on lifted Jeeps and stuff. Very stable and comes with a front rain if you want to use it. Not real cheap, but well worth the money

https://www.littlegiantladder.com/safety-step-ladder/

abebehrmann
02-08-2016, 01:40 PM
If all you want them for is a step, I don't see a problem with you getting them.

If you wanted them to be rocker protection or you liked doing more technical off-roading, I wouldn't recommend them but for what you've described they sound like a good option so you don't have to carry a step stool with you whenever you want to put stuff up there. Might even be able to find some on Craigslist for $50 or less.

packmule1911
02-08-2016, 01:43 PM
If all you want them for is a step, I don't see a problem with you getting them.

Thanks. That's all I want them for at this time. I've not installed them before. Do they simply bolt through the frame along the sides?

abebehrmann
02-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Thanks. That's all I want them for at this time. I've not installed them before. Do they simply bolt through the frame along the sides?

I've never installed them either, but I would assume so. You might need to drill a couple holes, but I don't see how it could get much more complicated than that.