PDA

View Full Version : Recovery tools

cpttuna
02-04-2016, 03:14 PM
I do not own a $100 hi-lift jack. I do however, own a bumper jack that I bought at a garage sale for $2.00. I was thinking of modifying both ends so that a clevis or hook could be attached to help get me out of a jam somewhere down the road. Any opinions??

4.3LXJ
02-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Yeah, that could work with the right attachment points

abebehrmann
02-04-2016, 04:32 PM
Is a bumper jack just a generic name for a Hi-Lift style jack? If so, I think that's a great idea. The Jeep Talk show had an interview with a guy a few weeks ago that was selling a product that sounds similar to what you are describing. I bet you could build something like it for a couple bucks.

Link:

http://jeepsneeds.com/products/d-lift-adaptor-hi-lift

cpttuna
02-04-2016, 06:09 PM
This is the name I knew them by growing up as a boy in the fifties and sixties. All the cars had them. The bumpers were made of metal then. They just aren't as tall as the hi-lift jacks. They are cheap usually at garage sales(if you can find them), but expensive on E-Bay.

cpttuna
02-04-2016, 06:16 PM
I have 3 or 4 bumper jacks. Several are in the attached picture. I use them to support my trailers from tipping over in case a neighbor kid jumps in the trailer. I like to keep the trailers at an angle so rain water runs out easily.