PDA

View Full Version : Wonky speedometer

nickyg
01-25-2016, 03:52 AM
While driving home My speedometer needle started jumping up and down. When I stopped the needle would go down to zero. When I started moving it would start jumping up and down again. all other gauges worked perfect.
Right away I thought speed sensor and/or gear. So My questions are....

1.Is the 96 cable speedo or electronic?
2.I have stock gears and 31inch tires. what speedo gear would I need?
3.anyone have a part # handy for the speedo gear in a np231?
4. Anything else I'm not thinking about that could cause my speedo problem?

4.3LXJ
01-25-2016, 10:40 AM
I think the 96 is drive by wire so it has a pulse sensor. This might be tough to figure out. If it was cable, it would just need a new cable. I never trust those speedo gear charts, they don't seem to come out right for me. I believe stock is 32 tooth. But to get the right gear, you will have to not be like Josh and do the math :D I would pull the gear and sensor out and check it. If the gear is OK, I would start with the sensor. If that doesn't fix it, it is probably the speedo itself

prcjeep
01-25-2016, 10:45 AM
so long as the gear is connected to the sensor correctly, i would say its the sensor, my 96 sensor hasnt worked right for over 2 years, many miles uncharted...lol

nickyg
01-25-2016, 11:59 AM
so long as the gear is connected to the sensor correctly, i would say its the sensor, my 96 sensor hasnt worked right for over 2 years, many miles uncharted...lol

I'm with you there. I can live with it. I'm a little worried about my daughter driving it. and getting a speeding ticket.

nickyg
01-25-2016, 12:03 PM
But to get the right gear, you will have to not be like Josh and do the math :D

That's what I'm afraid of. My Ohio state public education equals out to about a third grade level.

4.3LXJ
01-25-2016, 12:54 PM
That's what I'm afraid of. My Ohio state public education equals out to about a third grade level.

Just drop all the big words and you will be OK :D

4.3LXJ
01-25-2016, 12:55 PM
I'm with you there. I can live with it. I'm a little worried about my daughter driving it. and getting a speeding ticket.

Just tell her that when the speedo drops, accelerate, and when it goes up, decelerate. It will keep everyone awake :smiley-scared003:

Mudderoy
01-25-2016, 01:08 PM
On my tcase you have to rotate the speed sensor into the proper position. It's really easy to remove. I'd pull it, have a look at the teeth on the gear and then make sure it is rotated, or turned to the right position.

Not sure if it would cause a problem, but you might want to verify the tcase fluid level. I know they will get hot if not properly lubricated.

XJ Wheeler
01-25-2016, 03:55 PM
I've had a problem with mine for years but haven't dealt with it. Not the same issue but am interested in the issue. Also, 96 is an electronic speedo.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

nickyg
01-26-2016, 01:23 AM
Here's a twist.
Today the alternator crapped out. My red GEN light came on, my tachometer started acting wonky and my speedometer went to zero.

Changed the alternator and now everything is back to normal.

Strange luck?

4.3LXJ
01-26-2016, 10:45 AM
Better wrap it in tin foil Nicky

Carves
01-26-2016, 08:42 PM
Stoopid electronics .. :bang:

I'll add that info to my FSM,

Faulty speedo ... replace alternator .. :rolleyes: .. :D:D

nickyg
01-26-2016, 09:31 PM
I really think the two problems are unrelated. Just funny timing.

Sent from my CT720G using Tapatalk