PDA

View Full Version : Universal Joint Question

matchframe
01-19-2016, 10:02 AM
I need to replace the rear U-Joint in Kermit. Question, are the U-joints available at Oreilly's and Auto Zone good ones to use? I have taken a quick look online at Oreilly's and the prices are pretty good. I want it to last a long time so I rather pay a little more for a good one.

Thanks !

xj-jake
01-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Most of the time when you go to a parts store they have their "store brand" and then a premium brand. Honestly I spend the extra few bucks and get the better stuff. For what it's worth normally you get a better warranty from what I've found. The one's I have if I remember right are lifetime warranty. It's more of a pain in the butt to change them than anything.

4.3LXJ
01-19-2016, 10:49 AM
Yeah, get the better brand. Or you can specify Spicer, which is usually the best and is also OEM

matchframe
01-19-2016, 10:52 AM
Yeah, get the better brand. Or you can specify Spicer, which is usually the best and is also OEM

Spicer is one of the brands Oreilly's has. Good to know. Thanks !!

TallGuyJeep
01-19-2016, 07:47 PM
If you don't mind waiting for shipping check rockauto.com, usually costs much less. When i rebuilt my front driveshaft ujoints there were half the price of my local shops for the same thing. :) they usually have a 5% off code too, just do a quick search.

matchframe
01-20-2016, 10:18 AM
If you don't mind waiting for shipping check rockauto.com, usually costs much less. When i rebuilt my front driveshaft ujoints there were half the price of my local shops for the same thing. :) they usually have a 5% off code too, just do a quick search.

Cool ! Thanks !!

Rlpetty43
01-20-2016, 11:22 AM
I always try to get them from one of the chain stores with the lifetime warranty, mainly cause if you will eventually there going break most likely, I carry a complete set of drive shafts when I wheel so if the time comes I just change the drive shaft on the trail and when I get home I take the broke ones back get new ones for free and put them on the spare shaft and I am ready for the next time.

TallGuyJeep
01-20-2016, 12:30 PM
I always try to get them from one of the chain stores with the lifetime warranty, mainly cause if you will eventually there going break most likely, I carry a complete set of drive shafts when I wheel so if the time comes I just change the drive shaft on the trail and when I get home I take the broke ones back get new ones for free and put them on the spare shaft and I am ready for the next time.
That's a good point. I guess it just comes down to personal preference if you want to bother with the warranty on something so little. I think maybe next time ill start doing that... Always good to have options though. :)

XJ Wheeler
01-20-2016, 01:59 PM
This jeep is a street rig. No trails so breakage isn't a big concern.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.