PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump strangeness

Klaatu55
01-18-2016, 03:38 PM
I have a strange condition on my 1999 cherokee. I have to double pump my key to get car to start. (cranks okay).Changed pump and condition stopped for awhile. Going to get a better pump. The strange thing is the remote control starts it right up first time everytime. I mean like immediately. like fuel is already in the cylinder. Wonder if its actually the pump regulator. Any ideas would be welcome.

Mudderoy
01-18-2016, 03:51 PM
I have a strange condition on my 1999 cherokee. I have to double pump my key to get car to start. (cranks okay).Changed pump and condition stopped for awhile. Going to get a better pump. The strange thing is the remote control starts it right up first time everytime. I mean like immediately. like fuel is already in the cylinder. Wonder if its actually the pump regulator. Any ideas would be welcome.

I would have to crank my 1998 several times. Checked fuel pressure running and off. Fuel pressure running was fine, off fuel pressure would drop to 5 psi in less than a minute.

Replaced the in tank assembly pump, regulator, float, the whole thing. Fixed the issue.

nickyg
01-18-2016, 11:49 PM
I had to hold the gas down a little bit to start. Turned out to be the Throttle position sensor was on its way out. It's easy to check with a volt meter.

Klaatu55
01-21-2016, 05:36 AM
I changed the pump assembly last year. It may be faulty again though. The one I bought received poor reviews.I have a different (hopefully better) one ready to put in. I also changed TPS last year both fixes appeared to remedy problem for a couple of months. Still baffled by remote control instant start,vs, hesitation during key start. THANKS ALL

prerunner1982
01-21-2016, 08:19 AM
Still baffled by remote control instant start,vs, hesitation during key start.

That is perplexing.

When you manually start it after it has sat do you let the pump prime before trying to start it or go directly to start? I assume by double pump you mean let the pump prime twice before turning the key to start. If this is the case it would almost seem that when starting via the key that something is delayed that must be present to start that isn't delayed when starting via the remote.

autotech98
01-23-2016, 05:53 AM
Some 99 cherokees had a transponder key. The remote start uses a module with a chip to start. Does your key have a rounded head like a grand cherokee?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Klaatu55
01-31-2016, 11:25 PM
True I use the term double pump to mean turn key to on,turn key off- turn key to start,car starts right up. very short crank tuned like new. When I use remote, It cranks and starts immediately.first try. I have an aftermarket remote start /alarm (Viper 15 years old.) As an after thought I'm now getting trouble code for evaporative emission leak.Would this have anything to do with the symptoms i'm getting? With old pump once primed lwould last all day. With new pump (changed last summer) engine needs to be primed within half hour of off time. Have new Borsch pump ready to installed when weather gets bettter. All ideas are appreciated.

autotech98
02-07-2016, 05:54 AM
Its a good idea to turn your key to the on position for 3 to 6 seconds before trying to crank it over on fuel injected vehicles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Klaatu55
02-07-2016, 06:43 AM
That's the way i have to start it,to charge the system. But on remote start it starts right away.

Klaatu55
02-07-2016, 06:46 AM
I'm curious to know if a leak in the Evaporative Emission system is occurring, would that cause the fuel line to lose pressure.

OldFaurt
02-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Your Key switch may be on the way out! The remote start bypasses it's contacts. When I got my Jeep, the switch had some melted contacts, the switch is fairly cheep, $25 or so and easy enough to replace. use a voltage meter to look at the start contact voltage during start-up if it is less than 11Volts, you got your issue! Good luck!