PDA

View Full Version : What's that pop?

Mudderoy
01-13-2016, 08:33 AM
Make a hard uneven surface right hand turn this morning, heard a pop. I had to blink a couple of times once I found the reason for the pop. The bolt didn't snap this time, just pulled through the sway bar hole.

prerunner1982
01-13-2016, 09:55 AM
Not the first problem you have had with your sway bar is it? I would say it's time to ditch it, but knowing your driving style it may be safer to fix it and keep the sway bar.

Mudderoy
01-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Not the first problem you have had with your sway bar is it? I would say it's time to ditch it, but knowing your driving style it may be safer to fix it and keep the sway bar.

No I need it for the fast 90 degree turns. Don't want to have to drive like a grandma.

Last time (same side) the bolt sheared off. This time it pulled through the sway bar hole. Just need a thick washer.

bluedragon436
01-13-2016, 09:08 PM
Yeah that doesn't look good.... Wonder if you might not be able to get away with having a decent thickness washer on top and bottom of the sway bar, kind of sandwich the bar between them... might help

cantab27
01-13-2016, 09:29 PM
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/categories.aspx?id=1504

haven't fitted mine to barbie yet....

Mudderoy
01-14-2016, 12:25 AM
Interesting the bolt that attached the quick disconnect to the sway bar was loose, not even finger tight. I found a couple of washers, a small one and a large one and reattached and adjusted everything.

I'll need to pull that bolt out and put some locktite on it this weekend.

Still find it strange that bolt head went through that hole, doesn't look that close and no obvious damage to the bolt head. Must have pulled through otherwise it would be magic or gremlins!

slvmart
01-14-2016, 04:31 AM
I would use a Grade rated washer, also. I tend to go with Grade 8 on just about everything.

Mudderoy
01-14-2016, 08:20 AM
I would use a Grade rated washer, also. I tend to go with Grade 8 on just about everything.

I do too, but that requires going somewhere and buying something. Hmmm I wonder if I can get it on Amazon! :D

slvmart
01-15-2016, 04:56 AM
Possibly, on Amazon. But definitely on http://www.mcmaster.com/# ! :smiley-taunt002:

Mudderoy
03-14-2016, 01:24 PM
Did I mention the popping I was getting while backing out of the garage, and then various times while driving? Usually when one side was changing heights relative to the other side of the Jeep.

Should have drilled some holes to stop the cracks, but didn't think about it until everything was put away.

4.3LXJ
03-14-2016, 01:28 PM
I thought that would show up. I have one too, just waiting to get bad enough for me to see it

prerunner1982
03-14-2016, 02:17 PM
Driver side? I have one too..

Mudderoy
03-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Driver side? I have one too..

Yeppers

abebehrmann
03-14-2016, 03:13 PM
Did I mention the popping I was getting while backing out of the garage, and then various times while driving? Usually when one side was changing heights relative to the other side of the Jeep.

Should have drilled some holes to stop the cracks, but didn't think about it until everything was put away.

Is that right behind the track bar mount? Bring it up here to Dallas and I'll help you fix it, although I'm sure you have friends much closer who would be willing to help you out.

What would you recommend to fix it Steve?

I'm thinking drill the ends of the cracks to stop it from spreading, grind out the cracks about 1/8'', weld those up, grind it flush, and then weld another plate over it to reinforce.

4.3LXJ
03-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Is that right behind the track bar mount? Bring it up here to Dallas and I'll help you fix it, although I'm sure you have friends much closer who would be willing to help you out.

I'm thinking drill the ends of the cracks to stop it from spreading, grind out the cracks about 1/8'', weld those up, grind it flush, and then weld another plate over it to reinforce.

Weld the cracks, grind flat and weld a fish plate over it (pointed at both ends)

Mudderoy
03-14-2016, 03:23 PM

Thanks! Actually I don't. Closest would be Matt in Conroe and that's just a hop and a skip to Dallas. :crazy:

There is a shop I can take it to, but really I want to get a mig so I can learn and do these things myself. If this new job works out I'll get one. I will drill the holes soon and keep and eye on it.

On the crack was just in front of the track bar mount.

abebehrmann
03-15-2016, 09:54 AM
Thanks! Actually I don't. Closest would be Matt in Conroe and that's just a hop and a skip to Dallas. :crazy:

There is a shop I can take it to, but really I want to get a mig so I can learn and do these things myself. If this new job works out I'll get one. I will drill the holes soon and keep and eye on it.

On the crack was just in front of the track bar mount.

Offer is always on the table, but someone learning how to weld always sounds like a good idea in my book.

I was just thinking last night that I should write up a review of my Everlast MIG welder and post it up here on XJTalk now that I've got around 6 months of playing around with it.