PDA

View Full Version : Which style tire you think best suits me?

Splatterific
01-07-2016, 04:27 PM
I have a 99' cherry and need a new set of shoes. My new job has me commuting 60 miles a day. I don't get to do the off-roading like I use to but when it snows I'm a kid again and shoot out to play in it with my jeep. Trying to figure out if for only those reasons and an occasional dirt road here or there if it's necessary to get AT'S or should I get more of a road tire. Just not sure and would hate to regret it. Thanks guys

abebehrmann
01-07-2016, 05:08 PM
I have a 99' cherry and need a new set of shoes. My new job has me commuting 60 miles a day. I don't get to do the off-roading like I use to but when it snows I'm a kid again and shoot out to play in it with my jeep. Trying to figure out if for only those reasons and an occasional dirt road here or there if it's necessary to get AT'S or should I get more of a road tire. Just not sure and would hate to regret it. Thanks guys

I think either would work decently for what you've described, but I say get a set of AT's. They'll last just as long as any road tire you get with fairly comparable performance on road with much better performance off road. I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, except no snow, and I got a set of BFG TA KOs. Planning on either KO2s or Duratracs for my girlfriend's TJ in the near future as well.

Splatterific
01-07-2016, 05:13 PM
It's tuff wrapping my head around a jeep without AT'S. It some how don't seem right. I narrowed my choice to either Firestone destination le2 or the destination AT'S of course they want $75 more for the at's. Hard to price on what works better. This year with El NiƱo isn't looking like we'll see much. Unlike last year we got a total of 62".

4.3LXJ
01-07-2016, 05:16 PM
I think the BFGs or Goodyear Duratracks. Either one will do well for you

tinythexj
01-07-2016, 06:36 PM
Love my KO's, they havent let me down yet and the tires say they are good for snow as well. Have yet to hear a bad review for the new ko2's.

XJ Wheeler
01-07-2016, 07:23 PM
Haven't had the ko2 yet but have had several sets of ko's, on work trucks and my xj. Best a/t tire I've seen, for longevity and strength. Got over 100k out of our last ones on our dually. Drove excellent in the snow the one time we were in the white stuff, although the 6k turbocharger on the back might have helped... And I had no problems when I took jeep through the rocks. I did take a couple small chunks out of the sidewall by the rim but no issues. I compared a 10 ply ko with a Firestone 10 ply by flexing the sidewall with both not mounted on rims. The bfg was FAR stronger! Night and day difference. Won't run a Firestone because of it, plus they dry rotted a lot quicker.

I definitely recommend the ko. They wear smooth, tough sidewall, last long, and grip well. The only thing I've found they don't excel in is the mud. They get slickier than vin diesels scalp.

Also, look into the falken wildpeak/rocky mountain a/t. My brothers had them on his for a few years and they've done well. Kept up with me on the rocks. Although he hasn't put a lot of miles on them.

Pinkyman
01-08-2016, 10:39 AM
I had the Destination A/Ts on my last truck, and you couldnt beat them in the snow. They were great. Although i have the new style BFG Rugged Trail on the F150 now, and i have no complaints there either, and those were/are both daily drivers in lots on MN snow.

Personally, i prefer A/Ts on just about anything, its worth the more money just to get the looks of a more pronounced shoulder, rather than a rounded shoulder of a road tire.

TallGuyJeep
01-08-2016, 01:43 PM
I just got the KO2s this winter, and they are truly phenomenal. In fact this morning i ended up taking my little siblings to school this morning because the roads were bad. Don't even need to put her in 4wd, they just stick (if you control the throttle) for the most part. I've been in 8-10 inches of snow no problem.

Also have a set of Goodyear wrangler authority on my other jeep. They are an all terrain as well, and decently priced. But they are only available at Wal-Mart so that bugs some people. I've loved them the difference between them and the ko2 is negligable. Both are great on road as well. In my opinion i think a decent all terrain is definitely worth the extra money. A modern all terrain actually does well in pretty much all terrains. I've had they wranglers in mud amd they were really great actually, never got stuck woth open diffs. Haven't had the ko2s in mud yet though.

abebehrmann
01-08-2016, 04:19 PM

Where was this pic taken?

denverd1
01-08-2016, 04:23 PM

Holy shit!!! XJ Wheeler, well... wheeling!!

XJ Wheeler
01-08-2016, 11:36 PM
Where was this pic taken?
A park called Texas Off Road Ranch in huntsville. Sadly, it closed in may due to the taxes going sky high. [emoji34]

Holy shit!!! XJ Wheeler, well... wheeling!!
Lol, yep I got proof!

denverd1
01-09-2016, 12:20 AM
A park called Texas Off Road Ranch in huntsville. Sadly, it closed in may due to the taxes going sky high. [emoji34]

Lol, yep I got proof!
Is that it?? ?

These jeeps are made for wheelin
That's just what they do!
One of these days that jeeps
Gonna walk all over you.

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

autotech98
01-23-2016, 06:02 AM
Got wranglers on mine8815

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk