PDA

View Full Version : More Lift Questions...

Pinkyman
01-07-2016, 04:18 PM
So I currently have the 3.5" Rough Country lift in my 98 Xj, with the front coil springs and rear add a leaf. My stock springs are smoked, so I'm losing alot of lift in the rear, and have about 1.25" of reverse rake.

Im picking up a new set of IRO 3.5" full leafs from a guy on Saturday for a deal I can't beat. I just need to get the bushings and fight to get the old leafs out.

Does anyone have a cobbled together setup like this? I'm curious as to if it's going to look goofy or if I'll have too much rake or anything.

abebehrmann
01-07-2016, 05:03 PM
So I currently have the 3.5" Rough Country lift in my 98 Xj, with the front coil springs and rear add a leaf. My stock springs are smoked, so I'm losing alot of lift in the rear, and have about 1.25" of reverse rake.

Im picking up a new set of IRO 3.5" full leafs from a guy on Saturday for a deal I can't beat. I just need to get the bushings and fight to get the old leafs out.

Does anyone have a cobbled together setup like this? I'm curious as to if it's going to look goofy or if I'll have too much rake or anything.

My lift is basically 100% cobbled together and I think it looks pretty good...

I doubt it will look goofy at all, but if it actually does look a funny it should be fairly easy to fix. Front too low with the new springs, just add a couple coil spring isolators or spacers up front. Back too low even with the new springs, just add a shackle or you could even get away with a 1'' lift block.

Just my 2 cents.

4.3LXJ
01-07-2016, 05:14 PM
Mine is a combination of new, fabricated and junk yard parts. But it works. I am sure yours will too

tinythexj
01-07-2016, 06:40 PM
Many people have cobbled together lifts, myself being part of that group. I find that sometimes in the long run it costs you more, but it gives you more options and allows you to fine tune things they way you want. If the leaf springs are used they should already be settled in and shouldnt sag on you too much after install. Good Luck.

Pinkyman
01-07-2016, 06:53 PM
That puts me more at ease, thanks guys! All in all I will have about $200 into my lift, after I order new leaf pins and u bolts, so I guess I did alright :)

XJ Wheeler
01-07-2016, 07:40 PM
I run a "system" or "kit" from Rubicon express (and apparently I'm one of the few [emoji14] ) and I'll say now that I know more I wish I would have pieced mine together and fine tune the suspension. Kits are nice and have their purpose but it's a one size fits all. I'm more of a "making mine different, modern, better and smoother" kind of guy. I like it my way. :D

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk