PDA

View Full Version : 93 Cherokee Sport manual door locks and stuck door

TG93XJ
01-04-2016, 02:01 PM
Hi
I'm new to the forum and need some help.

Here's the basics: Manual door locks and windows. Over the years the door locks have been getting harder and harder to lock and unlock on all doors.
Now the driver side door is stuck closed and can't be opened from inside or outside latch. The lock is hard to push on and doesn't seem to be fully disengaged.

So I know I need to replace a rod or a clip or something. Getting into the door (removing the panel) is going to be difficult with it closed.

Question: Once I'm in the door is there a way to just disable the lock for now?
Until whatever parts arrive. I need to get into the jeep regularly and easily and I'm not too worried about theft.

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
TG

4.3LXJ
01-04-2016, 02:15 PM
Tamlyn, a guy with a slim jim could probably take care of it for you and get it open. But I don't run in the right circles for that and I wouldn't want to pay a locksmith to do it either. But as a last resort, one of those guys could get it open easily.

But, you have options. If you pull the inside door opener latch, three screws, and disconnect the two rods from it you can operate it all from those rods. You can use some vise grips to grip them and put some push and pull on those rods. Once you get it open, use some type of penetrating oil on the door latch mechanism. Over time the lighter oil evaporates out of the factory grease and that makes it stiff. You can do that fifty cent fix on all your doors and make them work easier.

TG93XJ
01-05-2016, 02:09 PM
Thank you for the tip.

I'm looking for a diagram or picture of how to release the clips from the rods.
I have limited visibility (dang steering wheel), so I'm kinda doing it by feel.
-Tamlyn

4.3LXJ
01-05-2016, 02:12 PM
When you remove the door opener handle, pull it out a little. The clips attach to the rod. They are designed to rotate when unlatched. You will see it. Just push them, generally towards the outside of the door I think, and they will unlatch. Then pull the rod out and it will be free

TG93XJ
01-05-2016, 06:14 PM
Woohoo Got It! Thanks for the help.!

I was able to partially pull the panel loose and also remove the latch/lock rod clips. (actually only one clip on the latch, bottom rod) I moved the rods back and forth until the door popped open.

Now I just need to figure out what caused it and fix it.

Thanks again,
Tamlyn

Carves
01-05-2016, 06:23 PM
.... I'm looking for a diagram or picture of how to release the clips from the rods.
I have limited visibility (dang steering wheel), so I'm kinda doing it by feel.
-Tamlyn

That'll teach you'se - for putting the steering wheel on the wrong side of the vehicle .. :p .. :D

Get the door skin off and check/clean/lube all the components as 4.3LXJ mentioned ... and it should be good to go.

Might pay to compare the rods with some others - to check for bends/shape.

4.3LXJ
01-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Glad you got it open

OldFaurt
01-05-2016, 08:11 PM
Hi
I'm new to the forum and need some help.

Here's the basics: Manual door locks and windows. Over the years the door locks have been getting harder and harder to lock and unlock on all doors.
Now the driver side door is stuck closed and can't be opened from inside or outside latch. The lock is hard to push on and doesn't seem to be fully disengaged.

So I know I need to replace a rod or a clip or something. Getting into the door (removing the panel) is going to be difficult with it closed.

Question: Once I'm in the door is there a way to just disable the lock for now?
Until whatever parts arrive. I need to get into the jeep regularly and easily and I'm not too worried about theft.

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
TG

Congratulations! Great Job!

prerunner1982
01-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Good job, as Steve (4.3LXJ) and Carves reiterated lube those mechanisms, but pop the rear hatch and lube the lock/latch in it as well. They aren't quite as easy to get open when they stick.