PDA

View Full Version : Control Arms

Timmysixgun
12-26-2015, 10:01 PM
I have a 97 XJ that I put Currie lower control arms on. Leftovers from a TJ project that is gone. It seems as though with them installed the front end is loose side to side while driving. They also make a lot of noise over bumps but I assume that is because they are metal joints. The only thing not replaced on the front end is the ball joints and steering linkages. This is not a daily driver and not a rock crawler. I use it for hunting, fishing and general outdoorsy stuff. Can anyone recommend a aftermarket, non adjustable, poly bushing control arm for a factory (UpCountry) height vehicle?

4.3LXJ
12-27-2015, 01:35 AM
So you are having a problem with noise? The side to side problem would be in the track bar bushings. Make sure everything is tight on the frame end and the bushings are not worn out

Carves
12-27-2015, 03:19 AM
I have a 97 XJ that I put Currie lower control arms on. Leftovers from a TJ project that is gone. It seems as though with them installed the front end is loose side to side while driving. They also make a lot of noise over bumps but I assume that is because they are metal joints. The only thing not replaced on the front end is the ball joints and steering linkages. This is not a daily driver and not a rock crawler. I use it for hunting, fishing and general outdoorsy stuff. Can anyone recommend a aftermarket, non adjustable, poly bushing control arm for a factory (UpCountry) height vehicle?

X 2 with 4.3LXJ regarding panhard rod ... and have a look at the pitman arm.

As for control arms,
... Have a look at IronManFab4x4 stuff in the XJTalk vendor section ... I got these lca - with the factory rubber bushes a while back - and like 'em.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Repairs/Front%20Diff%20Swap/3005201310b_zps88ae7fa6.jpg

Timmysixgun
12-27-2015, 10:10 AM
Loose may have been a bad way to describe it. It likes to wander and I'm constantly correcting it. And yes Steve, there is some noise over bumps.

4.3LXJ
12-27-2015, 11:04 AM
did you lift it too?

Timmysixgun
12-27-2015, 11:19 AM
did you lift it too?

Not technically. I replaced all suspension components ( springs f&r, coil spring isolators, shocks, steering stabilizer, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, rear shackles and spring bushings) with new factory upcountry springs.

4.3LXJ
12-27-2015, 11:25 AM
If you changed the height at all, then it is out of alignment. It sounds like it is just enough to cause a little wandering. As for the lower control arms, that type of arm will make it seem like it is riding rougher over rubber bushings of the stock arms

Timmysixgun
12-27-2015, 11:35 AM
Ok. Thanks. Knuckles and ball joints are still on the to do list and then I'll get it aligned. Probably throw in a new track bar and steering links into the mix since it's going to get aligned.