PDA

View Full Version : So who is doing what for Home Security/Automation?

Dredwolf
12-24-2015, 11:59 AM
I finally got around to digging through some boxes of things given to me "since I work with electronic stuff" :rolleyes: and sometimes I get something worthwhile.

I have three Axis M1054 cameras, and an unused Netgear POE network switch....which leads to thinking :rolleye0012: about what else I could do...

My wife has hearing loss, and we live a good distance from the road, in a brick home. I have a magnetic field driveway alarm for her, but we are getting older, and I know my abilities and reaction times are not what they once were. So I am looking at some home automation that may offer some security use, and maybe more cameras. My home network is solid, and I have a business-class UPS (or two) to make a battery back-up for anything that may not have it.

So what are the :xjtalk: members using? For automation, cameras, or security? What works, what is :turd:, what is awesome?

Mudderoy
12-24-2015, 01:05 PM

Zoneminder on Linux. Running it for about four years now. PTZ front and back.

Dredwolf
12-24-2015, 01:29 PM
What are you using for cameras? I have looked at Amazon reviews until I am....unbalanced. I don't mind some configuration, I expect it, in fact. But I don't want a useless mess that the commander in chief ends up canceling the entire operation. :-)

Dredwolf
12-24-2015, 01:31 PM
And those gutters are really clean....wow.

Mudderoy
12-24-2015, 01:54 PM
And those gutters are really clean....wow.

Pointless $2000 add on to the cost of the house, as they are required. By the HOA I believe.

Mudderoy
12-24-2015, 01:57 PM
What are you using for cameras? I have looked at Amazon reviews until I am....unbalanced. I don't mind some configuration, I expect it, in fact. But I don't want a useless mess that the commander in chief ends up canceling the entire operation. :-)

Check out this post, I think I outline the equipment in it. http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2773

tinythexj
12-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Lutron came out with their Caseta line not too long ago and it's very user friendly and has several options and features for your lighting. You can set auto on/off times, remote access from your smart phone, set up a geofence or even add a clip on your visor to have certain lights come on.

Dredwolf
12-24-2015, 10:31 PM
Check out this post, I think I outline the equipment in it. http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2773

Good info, are you still happy with the PTZ cameras?

I was hoping to stick with just POE cameras, but I have decent Wifi setup that I could ramp up with Ubiquiti gear I was wanting to install anyway.

Good idea on using a camera to figure out POV, I know I want to cover the front door, but the Axis cameras are inside cameras, so I need something else.

Thanks for all the input, keep it coming!:D

And are all the Foscam cameras as bad as rumored?

Mudderoy
12-24-2015, 11:29 PM
Good info, are you still happy with the PTZ cameras?

I was hoping to stick with just POE cameras, but I have decent Wifi setup that I could ramp up with Ubiquiti gear I was wanting to install anyway.

Good idea on using a camera to figure out POV, I know I want to cover the front door, but the Axis cameras are inside cameras, so I need something else.

Thanks for all the input, keep it coming!:D

And are all the Foscam cameras as bad as rumored?

Yeah it won't be exact but it should give you an idea. PTZ on the front is nice but it's a 23x optical zoom and was in the $250 range. Still cheap for a PTZ. The one in the back is much cheaper and the LUX isn't as low.