PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Jeep, which selctable lockers to buy please

tonybeirut
12-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Hi guys this is my 1st post , i am in Beirut/Lebanon and i bought a 1994 XJ country edition automatic.
i have 4.5" lift rough country kit
33" 12.5 15 bfg AT

I bought and shipped USA Standard Gears 4.56 and installed them today.

My next purchase will be selectable lockers, i read a lot about ARB and Eaton and saw many reviews and videos comparison but i want to have a better idea from XJ owners who installed both of those lockers. Which on is perfect for the XJ (dana 30 and chrysler 8.25 / 27 spline) and what are the pro and cons please.

Thank you
Tony

cantab27
12-22-2015, 01:09 PM
I run a ox locker in my 30 with chrome molly axles after I blew the stock one up.....like you i have to ship everything in ...cable cause its simple but they do have a air operated one now like ARB.....have had no problems with it has been in there over 3 years gets a hard life with v8 and my big right boot....brought of these guys

http://www.rockridge4wd.com/c-1141955-shop-by-brand-ox-locker.html

have got a bit of gear of them and like I said they ship way down here to New Zealand no worries

welcome to the site ...........

Mudderoy
12-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Hi guys this is my 1st post , i am in Beirut/Lebanon and i bought a 1994 XJ country edition automatic.
i have 4.5" lift rough country kit
33" 12.5 15 bfg AT

I bought and shipped USA Standard Gears 4.56 and installed them today.

My next purchase will be selectable lockers, i read a lot about ARB and Eaton and saw many reviews and videos comparison but i want to have a better idea from XJ owners who installed both of those lockers. Which on is perfect for the XJ (dana 30 and chrysler 8.25 / 27 spline) and what are the pro and cons please.

Thank you
Tony

OX if running a cable from the lever to the locker isn't an issue. ARB if it is. :D

denverd1
12-22-2015, 02:25 PM
hard to go wrong with either one. My thinking is ARB if you're doing both. If just one, go with the Eaton for simplicity. ARB lockers and an air compressor makes sense if both are air locked; on-board air is cool too. may not make sense but thats how I would do it. Basically, if you got the coin do ARBs.

**disclaimer** haven't installed either. can't think of anyone on here who has an ARB INSTALLED. :rolleye0012:

Rlpetty43
12-22-2015, 02:49 PM
I have an Eaton elocker I love it no fidgety air lines and it comes with everything one needs to control it, Ox lockers one has to buy the cable kit separate but one note on the e-locker make certain it is for the high pinion dana 30 there is a difference in the carriers for low pinion. also if one goes with the Eaton the standard Dana 30 carrier bearings and races do not work if needed I can look up what the correct parts are.

cantab27
12-22-2015, 02:56 PM
ox does air ....cable simple same as first selectable lockers done in early yotas still running around today...personal choice but love sitting next to mates jeep why he looks for air leaks ...both have pros and cons......

Mudderoy
12-22-2015, 03:10 PM
hard to go wrong with either one. My thinking is ARB if you're doing both. If just one, go with the Eaton for simplicity. ARB lockers and an air compressor makes sense if both are air locked; on-board air is cool too. may not make sense but thats how I would do it. Basically, if you got the coin do ARBs.

**disclaimer** haven't installed either. can't think of anyone on here who has an ARB INSTALLED. :rolleye0012:

I like the Eaton, but I think it uses clutch pads. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Rlpetty43
12-23-2015, 08:04 AM
I like the Eaton, but I think it uses clutch pads. Ain't nobody got time for that.

no sir you are thinking of auburn, Eaton's use pins that are move by electric magnets. auburns are limited slip and when engaged they tighten the clutch discs.

jschmidt250
12-23-2015, 11:16 AM
I have had no issues with my Yukon Zip Lockers.