PDA

View Full Version : 2000 xj turn signal problems

nc00xj
12-21-2015, 02:13 PM
Hey ya'll. so my totally financially stable, flawless, fuel efficient xj decided to not let the turn signals work. I went to the JY and grabbed the steering column switch and the relay under the dash. Swapped both, still didn't work. Tried every combination of orig. switch-new relay, new switch-old relay, new switch-old relay, etc. and still nothing. My high beams work but hazards and turn signals don't work. Can't figure it out. About to take apart the original switch and clean and grease the inside. Might use my multimeter and run a continuity check on the switch to see if the circuit is good. Any help would be great! Thanks.
-Tyler

TallGuyJeep
12-21-2015, 05:42 PM
Haha You check the bulbs? ;) so No power going to the actual sockets? Does the flasher turn on in the dash at all? Positive you don't have any bad fuses? That's what it's always been for me. How bout the actual sockets, are they corroded at all? My tail light sockets got corroded bad so i had to solder in all new sockets.

If it's not any of that i would try to follow the wiring back and see if you can pull power from anywhere, maybe there is a broken wire or bad ground somewhere. That's about all i can think of, i don't have any experience replacing the actual switch on the column so no help there sorry.

nc00xj
12-21-2015, 06:25 PM
Bulbs are brand new led's. It doesn't light up on the dash or click or anything so I'm thinking its a bad ground, switch or relay

TallGuyJeep
12-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Bulbs are brand new led's. It doesn't light up on the dash or click or anything so I'm thinking its a bad ground, switch or relay
Did you just switch to LEDs? That could be the problem. I think because they don't draw as much power the computer doesn't recognize them. But i think they would still flash, but at the fast "bulb is out" rate without wiring in an additional resistor or something.
I'm Just remembering from what I've read in other threads so probably not entirely accurate.

Yeah, double check all the fuses and whatnot then go from there. See if you are getting power to the bulb sockets, if you are swap back in some standard bulbs and see if that works for now.

nc00xj
12-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Did you just switch to LEDs? That could be the problem. I think because they don't draw as much power the computer doesn't recognize them. But i think they would still flash, but at the fast "bulb is out" rate without wiring in an additional resistor or something.
I'm Just remembering from what I've read in other threads so probably not entirely accurate.

Yeah, double check all the fuses and whatnot then go from there. See if you are getting power to the bulb sockets, if you are swap back in some standard bulbs and see if that works for now.

Sorry, should've clarified- led's in the front side markers. Haven't had fast flash issues they've been in for a month or so.

slvmart
12-22-2015, 06:46 AM
I swapped my 2000 to all LED's about 2 years ago, except for dash. There is no issue with LED's other than having to swap the flasher out to one designed for use with LED's.

Here is the Schematic for a 2000 Turn Signal circuit. It might help diagnose the problem. There are only 4 elements that could effect the complete system.

nc00xj
12-24-2015, 11:03 PM
Awesome thanks for the diagram. Finally rebuilt the original multi function switch. Gonna swap it back in today and see how it goes!