PDA

View Full Version : EMP Proof Jeep

denverd1
12-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Some family members want an SHTF rig that can run after an EMP. Electro Magnetic Pulse that knocks out major communications and wreaks havoc on anything with a computer. What rigs/years are computer free and reliable after such an event? Want XJ info of course, but they're probably looking for a traditional Jeep, so any info on those as well appreciated.

I know my 98 has ECM that controls injectors/firing order so it would be fried.

What other prepper stuff have you done?

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

4.3LXJ
12-18-2015, 08:08 PM
I am not sure about non CA rigs, but all CA XJs had a computer in them. You will need a pre mid 80s vehicle that has a carburetor. TBI injection and up has a computer

Tbone64
12-19-2015, 01:08 AM
The cheaper and easier solution is to have a spare com. and don't forget to have a spare radio {c.b. or ham } which ever you use and keep them in a faraday cage. Cheaper and easier than buying an older jeep. Just my thoughts, hope it helps with ideas. :patriot:

gary63
12-19-2015, 09:13 AM
start with a xj with a bad motor and gut it out then start from there and biuld it. That is what me and 3 other are doing with some xj we got at a aution. they will be no comp. and run on more than one type of fuel.

xj-jake
12-19-2015, 12:07 PM
I'm sure Nicky-G will chime in here with a tin foil comment sooner or later.

GoneWithTheWind
12-19-2015, 12:25 PM
Foil faraday cage maybe?

denverd1
12-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Ain't building shit. This is someone else's problem. I've got 1 jeep to work on and that's enough.

I'll tell em to look for a carb

GoneWithTheWind
12-19-2015, 08:39 PM
Is there a points distributor that will fit? Any chance of drilling and grinding an adapter plate for a single barrel carb in place of the throttle body? If these will work then running after an emp shouldn't be a problem, providing there is fuel available.

nickyg
12-19-2015, 08:50 PM
I'm sure Nicky-G will chime in here with a tin foil comment sooner or later.

COME ON GUYS!!!! I'm more then just a stereotype!!
Any way this is how I handled the problem. It also keeps the aliens from tracking you too.

Is EMP real? I thought it was something from a Tom Cruse movie

GoneWithTheWind
12-19-2015, 08:57 PM
A few years back they were trying to figure out a way to use an emp to stop a car, but they were having trouble singling out one car from many.

denverd1
12-20-2015, 04:46 AM
Boys this ain't my deal. Nicky love your Tahoe

nickyg
12-20-2015, 07:15 PM
Nicky love your Tahoe

It's a mini cooper wrapped with enough ton foil to make it look like a Tahoe.

XJ Wheeler
12-20-2015, 09:40 PM
The real question. Does anyone have one of these? Need one to tame the neighbors.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nickyg
12-21-2015, 02:56 AM
I shut down every electronic device in the house once by jabbing a fork in an outlet.

Sent from my CT720G using Tapatalk

Rlpetty43
12-21-2015, 08:28 AM
go full tube type electronics they and not affected by emp. but then the jeep jeep will weigh twice as much lol

denverd1
12-23-2015, 01:20 PM
so a little more research has me convinced that EMP threat to modern vehicles isn't real enough for me to worry about. There's a gov't study, 8 out of like 37 had minor issues, like dash lights/CELs. Many preppers mentioned if an EMP threat is real, we have much bigger concerns than transportation. I will NOT, however, miss this opportunity to get a family into the jeep lifestyle.

OldFaurt
12-24-2015, 08:07 PM
COME ON GUYS!!!! I'm more then just a stereotype!!
Any way this is how I handled the problem. It also keeps the aliens from tracking you too.

Is EMP real? I thought it was something from a Tom Cruse movie

Oh my gosh Nickyg, THAT'S A THING OH BEAUTY!
If you're not a man of steel, tin foil can make you real!

xjzaped
12-24-2015, 10:44 PM
So all 4.0's have a computer. It's been a EFI engine from the get go. It replaced the carbureted 4.2. It was literally designed for the the XJ by AMC.

So the blocks are nearly identical. You can actually take most of the 4.2 parts off and put them on a 4.0…but what you loose in carbing the 4.0 you'll need the swap the 4.2 crank in which pretty much means you've just wasted your time converting s 4.0 into a freshly overhauled 4.2.

If a mechanically controlled jeep was that important, look at a SJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

denverd1
12-24-2015, 11:05 PM
So all 4.0's have a computer. It's been a EFI engine from the get go. It replaced the carbureted 4.2. It was literally designed for the the XJ by AMC.

So the blocks are nearly identical. You can actually take most of the 4.2 parts off and put them on a 4.0…but what you loose in carbing the 4.0 you'll need the swap the 4.2 crank in which pretty much means you've just wasted your time converting s 4.0 into a freshly overhauled 4.2.

If a mechanically controlled jeep was that important, look at a SJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh a chief??!! This is not a discussion on XJs. No way in hell this crank swapping business makes ANY sense. They want an old jeep.

nickyg
12-25-2015, 10:03 AM
so a little more research has me convinced that EMP threat to modern vehicles isn't real enough for me to worry about. There's a gov't study, 8 out of like 37 had minor issues, like dash lights/CELs. .

CEL??????? My jeep has been hit with an EMP!!!! It's not my fault it's on the government did it!!! At least that's what i'm gonna say at the inspection station.

denverd1
12-29-2015, 10:20 AM
:bang: :bang: :bang: