PDA

View Full Version : Drone owners uncle sam strikes again

OrangeXJ
12-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Just saw today the FAA is going to require drone owners to register there craft starting Dec. 21 of this year. Name, address and some type of air craft number to identify it's owner. If I read it correctly anything 9 oz or more must be registered. Can't be flown with in 5 miles of an airport and no higher than 400 ft. I think it says for the first month registration is free after that it's 5 bucks. Registration good for 3 years.

Lucky mine is 3.9 oz don't know if I will register it or not.

4.3LXJ
12-15-2015, 10:11 AM
Yes it is coming. In one county near me it is a no fly zone for drones. The regs are coming, just a matter of time

Pookapotamus
12-15-2015, 11:26 AM
I don't see the big deal? I've had registration and insurance on my rc planes since I started flying in the early 90's, it's there for my protection and for others protection as well, if something goes wrong and my drone or airplane cause an accident I want to be covered! And I want the people I hurt covered!

I think the problem is that the word toy is used to often, I have flown a 14' wingspan rc plane, it was no TOY!

Having 4WD means getting stuck in more inaccessible places!

Mudderoy
12-15-2015, 11:47 AM
Just saw today the FAA is going to require drone owners to register there craft starting Dec. 21 of this year. Name, address and some type of air craft number to identify it's owner. If I read it correctly anything 9 oz or more must be registered. Can't be flown with in 5 miles of an airport and no higher than 400 ft. I think it says for the first month registration is free after that it's 5 bucks. Registration good for 3 years.

Lucky mine is 3.9 oz don't know if I will register it or not.

B.S. government crap.

bluedragon436
12-15-2015, 12:14 PM
I don't see the big deal? I've had registration and insurance on my rc planes since I started flying in the early 90's, it's there for my protection and for others protection as well, if something goes wrong and my drone or airplane cause an accident I want to be covered! And I want the people I hurt covered!

I think the problem is that the word toy is used to often, I have flown a 14' wingspan rc plane, it was no TOY!

But on your registered & insured aircraft, do you have a N number on it, like a real aircraft does?? That is what they are wanting the "drone" users to have on their UAS'... I don't have any real issue with it, as I'm not doing anything with mine that I'm worried about getting in trouble with. My issues are, you can fly your RC aircraft @ the local AMA club or field... I cannot, as my local club and field will not allow the flight of multi rotor craft, other then RC Helo's.. so I can only fly in my neighborhood or local city park... and if someone makes a complaint, now I'm screwed under the FAA rules... so basically I have a $800+ RC quadcopter that I can't fly or make use of... All I wanted to do with it was enjoy the fun of flying it, and fly around the edge away from the people attending and get Meet & Greets for local club on video from above.. If I wanted to go through all the legal games of the government, then I'd have bought a real aircraft and got a pilots license... Another issue is, they are wanting to go towards us having to get a pilot's lisense of some sorts to fly them, sense they are multi engine UAS or some such BS as that..

denverd1
12-15-2015, 01:34 PM
makes sense. so when some dummy flies his around an airport or flops it on the whitehouse front lawn, they know how to get it back to it's owner, of course!

Only problem I see, its all self regulated. try taking off at an airport without the proper registration and docs, not gonna happen. anyone can launch a drone off their back porch.

Here's the question: how do you get HAM radio to communicate the RC signals (if its not obvious I know nothing about his stuff, it should be now) frequencies? Only downside I see to these is their range....

XJ Wheeler
12-15-2015, 02:33 PM
Sucks to see. I see these things as toys and hobbies. Same as a rc heli. Not sure why but there has been a BIG push to have these "drones" viewed as an evil. A potential deadly weapon, a spying eye, or a danger to aircraft. Ever wonder the reason?

Have you ever heard of a "drone" taking out a plane, blowing up something, or an actual account of a flying peeing tom?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

denverd1
12-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Sucks to see. I see these things as toys and hobbies. Same as a rc heli. Not sure why but there has been a BIG push to have these "drones" viewed as an evil. A potential deadly weapon, a spying eye, or a danger to aircraft. Ever wonder the reason?

Have you ever heard of a "drone" taking out a plane, blowing up something, or an actual account of a flying peeing tom?

with companies using them for commercial delivery (Amazon: already delivering small parcels in Europe in under an hour. Your order the item at 1pm, its in your front yard by 2pm) expect more regulation. I know of a couple of incidents where they lost RC signal and crashed in a no fly zone.

XJ Wheeler
12-15-2015, 02:48 PM
with companies using them for commercial delivery (Amazon: already delivering small parcels in Europe in under an hour. Your order the item at 1pm, its in your front yard by 2pm) expect more regulation. I know of a couple of incidents where they lost RC signal and crashed in a no fly zone.
I can see commercial use being regulated more. That's just how we do things here. Just like our flatbed has to follow DOT specs. And yes, they worry about how much your mud flaps... flap.

I think a good compromise would be regulations for commercial use. Leave private use alone.

denverd1
12-15-2015, 03:04 PM
FAA regulates commercial. if you call registering a drone regulation, I think you're making a mountain of a mole hill. Doesn't DOT regulate everything on the road?

XJ Wheeler
12-15-2015, 03:11 PM
FAA regulates commercial. if you call registering a drone regulation, I think you're making a mountain of a mole hill. Doesn't DOT regulate everything on the road?
There's additional regulations for commercial trucks. I know it's not a huge deal, I don't even have a quadcopter. But I see it as another fee, tax, and way for big brother to control things.

denverd1
12-15-2015, 03:29 PM
hmmm... The quadcopter game ain't a cheap one. Gotta pay to play and 5 bones ain't shit.

speaking of big brother, there's a mexican version on telemundo.

what sort of society would we have with none of "big brother's" BS regulation? ever call the police/fire dept? What if it took 2 days for them to respond? ain't nobody got time for that!

OrangeXJ
12-15-2015, 04:03 PM
I got this information from todays Houston Chronicle business section. Per this article the FAA is rushing to implement this regulation as they are estimating about 700,000 drone's to be purchased as gifts. To "nudge users to be more responsible" And they are reviving more than 100 reports a month about drones flying near manned aircraft. It would not surprise me if later down the road if a "test" was implemented to get a license to fly one. Much like getting a Ham license (which I don't know why you would need a license to talk on a radio anyway :smiley-scared003:)

Pookapotamus
12-15-2015, 04:14 PM
@ bluedragon wow that's much more than I figured, an N number is a bit much, but why won't the rc clubs let multi rotors fly, that's just silly

bluedragon436
12-15-2015, 05:55 PM
http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=19856

Carves
12-16-2015, 03:14 AM
Yes it is coming. In one county near me it is a no fly zone for drones. The regs are coming, just a matter of time

Good thing too ... just imho.

Damn things will be like mobile phones, puppies and 4wds,

... everyone will want one whether they need it or not ... and then there will be that percentage of idiots, using 'em annoyingly, causing folks grief.

No need for big brother control on a persons private property or designated scale aircraft flying fields tho.

xj-jake
12-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Great conversation going on and great points by all. I wish we had more of these here sometimes! I see both sides of the argument but, my kneejerk reaction is this is the govt overstepping their boundaries and after reading all the posts here that is still my opinion. That being said should these be able to be flown near an airport, no.

In the town I live in our airport is just on the edge of town. Could the RC signals from these little copters affect instruments on the plane, possibly but highly doubtful. The big issue I see with flying these in my town would be striking an incoming or outgoing aircraft.

Go to 3:25, the farm on the nosecone is my Grandpa's farm, the rest of the vid you'll see the town.

https://youtu.be/GeCAwVhtb20

Again I do not agree with requiring to have them all registered. How many cool videos have we all seen using these things at Jeep events or sporting events and even in business advertising? Yet again because of a few bad apples the rest of the general population has to suffer.

OrangeXJ
12-16-2015, 09:29 AM
For those interested here's the link to FAA's FAQ web site for this new requirement. After reading it my drone is exempt because it does not meet the weight requirement even thou it is not that small 15.5 in wing span. So I'm not going to bother with it.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/

OrangeXJ
12-16-2015, 09:51 AM
HOLLY BULL shit just found this, typical gov agency this is what's needed to register a craft. After reading this I see a lot of people not going to mess with doing it. If I was required to register mine I would not do it.

On a side note the online registration form is not available till Dec 21st maybe it has been simplified.

To Register a New - Small Unmanned Aircraft (sUA):
An unmanned aircraft is considered a new sUA when it has never been registered anywhere, and its maximum takeoff weight is less than 55 pounds.

To register the owner must provide the following:
1. A completed Aircraft Registration Application, AC Form 8050-1. ◦ An original Aircraft Registration Application, AC Form 8050-1 must be used. Photocopies or computer generated copies of this form will not be accepted. These forms may be obtained from the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch or any Flight Standards District Office.
◦ When a Limited Liability Corporation (LLC) is an applicant to register a sUA it also must provide information regarding its organization, how management authority is held, and how it meets the definition of a U.S. citizen for aircraft registration. The Limited Liability Corporation Registration Information Sheet (PDF) provides instructions on meeting this requirement.
◦ Form AFS-750-94 (PDF), Information to Aid in the Registration of U.S. Civil Aircraft, provides helpful information about eligibility, types of registration, the proper form of names, signatures, titles, and addresses plus other related issues.

2. A full description of the UA provided by the manufacturer, builder or applicant in a Notarized statement.
sUA Required Description Items
◦ Full Legal Name of UA Manufacturer or Builder
◦ sUA Model Designation
◦ sUA Serial Number
◦ Class (Airplane, Airship, Rotorcraft, Gyroplane, Ducted Fan)
◦ sUA Maximum Takeoff Weight
◦ Category (Land, Sea, or Both)
◦ Name of Engine Manufacturer
◦ Engine Model Designation
◦ Engine Serial-Numbers (if none shown, enter 'none')
◦ Number of Engines
◦ Engine Power Output (given in HP or Lbs. Thrust)
◦ Engine Type (2 or 4 Cycle Reciprocating, Electric,
Turbo - Fan/Prop/Shaft/Jet)
The notarized statement must also state "To the best of the undersigned's knowledge the information provided above is correct, the described UA is not currently registered in another country, and the undersigned is the aircraft's rightful owner"
3. Evidence of Ownership: An Aircraft Bill of Sale, AC Form 8050-2 (PDF) ,or an equal transfer of ownership document is required for each change in ownership from the sUA manufacturer or builder through any intervening owner(s) to the owner making application for registration. However, the FAA recognizes that bills of sale may not be available for sUA that have been in operation since before sUA registration became necessary or for sUA that were purchased as off-the-shelf items from a retail shop, or internet retailer not associated with the builder or manufacturer.
When a bill of sale or other transfer of ownership document is unobtainable, the applicant may provide for consideration a notarized statement that: ◦identifies the subject sUA by the builder's full name, its model designation and serial number,
◦ identifies undocumented transfers to the extent possible by the date they occurred, the purchaser's name, as well as the name and location (city, state & country) of the person, company, or vendor that sold the sUA.
◦explains why any missing transfers of ownership are unavailable.
◦ describes the other evidence provided with the notarized statement like an invoice, sales receipt or witness statement that proves the transfer of ownership took place. This alternative evidence is especially important when documenting the transfer of ownership to the applicant.
◦ certifies, to the best of the applicants knowledge that; the information provided is correct, the described UA is not currently registered in another country, and the undersigned is the aircraft's rightful owner.
Sample statements are available for review. NOTE: Items 2 and 3 may be combined into one notarized affidavit.
4. Confirmation the sUA is not registered in another country. When a sUA is purchased from a manufacturer or seller located in another country it is considered an import. This requires a statement from the Civil Aviation Authority of the exporting country confirming that the registration of the sUA in that country has been canceled or that the sUA was never issued registration by that country.
5. An N-number to be assigned to the registered aircraft. If a special N-number was reserved in advance by the sUA owner for this registration, this number will be assigned if it is entered on the forms in the indicated blanks.
◦ A special N-number may be requested when filing the application and other documents for registration. Include a letter that lists several N-number choices, and the $10.00 special number fee. The first listed number verified as available will be assigned to the aircraft.
◦A random N-number will be assigned at no cost if the indicated blanks on the registration forms are left empty, or a random number is requested.

6. The $5.00 registration fee by check or money order made payable to the Federal Aviation Administration. This fee is waived when the applicant is a Federal, State or local government office, agency or institution.
Send your Registration documents to the FAA, Aircraft Registration Branch. Addresses for regular mail and overnight courier deliveries are available through the Contact the Aircraft Registration Branch menu item.
Once the sUA is registered, apply for the appropriate operational authority.
The following links will take you to information and directions

denverd1
12-16-2015, 10:57 AM
How many cool videos have we all seen using these things at Jeep events or sporting events and even in business advertising? Yet again because of a few bad apples the rest of the general population has to suffer.

Cool vid!! Yep even in big screen movie production its quite common to see several scenes with drone footage. especially during open and closing landscape stuff

Orange looks like typical gov work!!

Outlaw star
12-18-2015, 10:01 AM
Just a bit of comedy on the subject but I have a certain "Toy" drone from Air Hogs I couldn't resist buying.
Now can you imagine the phone call "Hi, I'm trying to register my drone. What's the make and model? Well I own and want to register the Millennium Falcon!...No this is not a joke, why are you laughing?....Hello?....." Lmao.

abebehrmann
12-18-2015, 11:19 AM
Just a bit of comedy on the subject but I have a certain "Toy" drone from Air Hogs I couldn't resist buying.
Now can you imagine the phone call "Hi, I'm trying to register my drone. What's the make and model? Well I own and want to register the Millennium Falcon!...No this is not a joke, why are you laughing?....Hello?....." Lmao.

Hahahahahaha!

"Stop laughing! This bad boy can do the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs!!!"

denverd1
12-23-2015, 01:22 PM
lol!! Drone misses skier
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/23/sport/marcel-hirscher-drone-crash/index.html

Outlaw star
12-28-2015, 07:09 PM
Not going to register this thing. Its a toy!!! http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/28/f2435ece3f5bfe9d7572e3fc8d6a9565.jpg

bluedragon436
12-29-2015, 12:26 AM
My Phantom 2 won't be allowed to be registered since I don't have the original receipt for it's purchase, so can't prove ownership, other then the fact of it's at my house, and I'm the only one that flies it!! LOL So long as the registration fee remains @ $5, I wouldn't really have all that big of an issue with it.. except for I know they'll put all kinds of restrictions on the use of them,.. more so then what they are saying right now.. Either way I don't think you should have to register your UAS, unless you will be using it for business or something... Only thing I"ll be using mine for is for the fun of flying it, as well as doing some small photography/video, especially around my father's property, and around Jeep meets.. I'm not a complete idiot, and plan on flying mine around the airport, or in the path of any aircraft..

XJ Wheeler
12-31-2015, 03:38 AM
Uh oh, quadcopter gets too close to chiefy on his vacation. I bet this won't make it better. Wouldn't want to mess up his golf shot of course. [emoji14]

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/drone-buzzes-president-barack-obama-s-motorcade-hawaii-n487176

denverd1
12-31-2015, 10:54 AM
I'm not a complete idiot, and plan on flying mine around the airport, or in the path of any aircraft..

James you're part of the problem!!!

Outlaw star
02-01-2016, 10:51 AM
[emoji28] [emoji28]

Mayooo
02-09-2016, 11:57 AM
Kind of mixed with this one. I have several planes, two of them are FPV and one of the two is a long range plane that operates in the 70cm freq. so I can get quite a good distance. A lot of this is brought on by social media and the news over reacting. Then big brother steps in because miss big nosy flap cakes down the street is seeing this on the news and thinks they are out to harm the us and calls congress.

4.3LXJ
02-09-2016, 04:24 PM
Mixed feelings on this, but I read today that the number of registered drones has exceeded the number of licensed planes.

bluedragon436
02-09-2016, 05:52 PM

Darn it... What I meant to say was that I'm not a complete idiot... and don't plan to fly near any airports or aircraft... I don't know why anyone would... Makes no sense to me... Got another Phantom on it's way to me, will hopefully be here the next couple of days... I'll mark it with proper registration...

Firemanray
02-09-2016, 08:30 PM
If I get one of these do I still have to register it? (language warning):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

denverd1
04-27-2016, 01:03 PM
https://vimeo.com/164314460

cool video shot with drone

bluedragon436
04-27-2016, 11:44 PM
https://vimeo.com/164314460

cool video shot with drone

That is a pretty awesome shots for sure... Maybe one day I'll be skilled enough to hook up shots like that... but that'll be a bit down the road!!

denverd1
04-28-2016, 01:42 PM
filmed with an inspire 1 FYI

denverd1
04-28-2016, 01:46 PM
i'm sure you guys have heard of the many near collisions with planes. hears another
http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/ba-plane-strike-near-heathrow-was-not-a-drone-incident-11364055854522
BTW the Hudson river crash landing was because a bird got into an engine and caused engine failure. this seems so simple to me, just block or jam the frequencies these things are operating on around airports. why isn't that the fix?

bluedragon436
05-02-2016, 12:53 PM
i'm sure you guys have heard of the many near collisions with planes. hears another
http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/ba-plane-strike-near-heathrow-was-not-a-drone-incident-11364055854522
BTW the Hudson river crash landing was because a bird got into an engine and caused engine failure. this seems so simple to me, just block or jam the frequencies these things are operating on around airports. why isn't that the fix?

Sad thing is... most of the news reports about near collisions with "drones" and aircraft.. are either fabricated stories or not hobby use drones... There was at least two reports that I remember seeing that said they occurred @ 13000 ft... Mine isn't the most expensive drones (as I have two of them)... but they are the same models that were supposedly caught on camera @ that height... and they won't even go that heigh.. they won't even come close to that height... So makes me take all reports with a grain of salt..

But the reason why they can't/won't block the frequencies that the drones operate on is due to the fact of that frequency is used for security systems in buildings both @ the airports as well as surrounding buildings, as well as other things... I guess some smaller regional airports have looked at blocking/jaming the frequencies and it caused issues @ nearby businesses, as well as their fire and security alarms @ the airports.. so they stopped blocking them.. I'm sure they will manage to find a way to work around this and be able to block them.. or just take the chances and block them as aircraft are landing/departing...