PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Position Sensor Problem?

abebehrmann
12-14-2015, 09:49 AM
Yesterday the XJ was running great all day, stopped to pick up a prescription and when leaving the parking lot noticed the check engine light pop on and it didn't want to shift out of 1st gear, all other gauges looked normal. Pulled over and pulled out my handy OBDII scanner and iphone app and pulled the codes P0121 and P0122, which appear to be Throttle position sensor trouble codes. Limped it home and picked up a new TPS on the way, but as luck would have it a T25 Torx is the only one from T10-55 that I DON'T have. :thumbdown:

Going to change it out today after I pick up a new T25 bit. You guys think it's actually the TPS or are there other problems that could manifest itself as a P0121/0122 code?

Mudderoy
12-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Yesterday the XJ was running great all day, stopped to pick up a prescription and when leaving the parking lot noticed the check engine light pop on and it didn't want to shift out of 1st gear, all other gauges looked normal. Pulled over and pulled out my handy OBDII scanner and iphone app and pulled the codes P0121 and P0122, which appear to be Throttle position sensor trouble codes. Limped it home and picked up a new TPS on the way, but as luck would have it a T25 Torx is the only one from T10-55 that I DON'T have. :thumbdown:

Going to change it out today after I pick up a new T25 bit. You guys think it's actually the TPS or are there other problems that could manifest itself as a P0121/0122 code?

Were you able to manually shift it?

abebehrmann
12-14-2015, 10:07 AM
Were you able to manually shift it?

You know, I'm not really sure how to do this with the AW4.

After revving up a bit higher than usual it did shift into second gear which got me going plenty fast enough for traffic.

Mudderoy
12-14-2015, 10:24 AM
TPS went bad on the 99. Wouldn't start. I could press the pedal down a little and it would start. Take foot off pedal it would die.

No CEL, that I recall.

Replaced it with a spare I had and it's been fine since.

nickyg
12-14-2015, 12:04 PM
If u have a volt meter u can test the TPS. There are tons of YouTube videos on how to do it

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

nickyg
12-14-2015, 04:14 PM
Found one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URNYaGXM_uQ

https://youtu.be/URNYaGXM_uQ

abebehrmann
12-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Replaced the TPS last night, seems to be back to running like normal again.

The Torx that hold the TPS on sure were a pain to get out! After stripping them out, I ground off the heads with an angle grinder and with a set of vice grips and some penetrating oil was able to work the studs out of the TB.

Now let's hope the Autozone brand of TPS lasts longer than 2 weeks....