PDA

View Full Version : Lights?

cheeko00
12-11-2015, 04:59 PM
Im looking for lights for my rig, what brand would you recommend? Led vs halogen? Anyhting helps!

Brasscatz
12-11-2015, 06:14 PM
I personally like the look of the old-school halogen lights myself. I don't mind going cheap, so I bought mine from snappy lights on ebay.

Otherwise, LED are more energy efficient making the draw on your alternator/battery less and could produce more light. If you go with LED, please check out some mounts from Wheeler Fabrication. https://www.facebook.com/WheelerFabrication/?fref=ts

cpttuna
12-11-2015, 07:51 PM
I bought different lights at first(mostly KC hi-lights) and was not impressed. I decided to make my own. I started with a NAPA tractor light because it had a rubber housing and the light cost $9.00. I then found I could replace the standard 5" sealed beam with a Wagner(4509) 100watt sealed beam aircraft landing light for about $11.00. I upgraded the wiring and had myself a decent driving light for about $20.00 I have since discovered and obtained more 4509 lights for about $6.00 each. The tractor lights with rubber housings are harder to find. But for what I want the extra lights for, my way suits me just fine.

XJ Wheeler
12-11-2015, 08:01 PM
There is no doubt about it the big round halogens will always be cool. I always wanted to run a Baja style mount on the roof. But then, LEDs came out and got cheap. I understand not liking the look, as it's a big variance to what we've had. It's just they really are bright. You would have to spend a lot to get halogens to match most LED lights. I've had experince with several sets so far. Cubes, pods, 12"s, 20", and 50". The only problem I've had so far was the seal on the 50". Just needs a little silicone. They still pull a good bit though. Less than halogen, yes, but 4-100w halogens would be 400w, whereas the 50" cree pulls 300w. Osram 50" is 500w, but just about the brightest out there. And cost is a bit incentive. A nice set of halogen fog lights are maybe $80 (Hella 500), but a set of 2x4 cubes can be had easily for $35. And are still brighter. (Experince with both)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Pinkyman
12-11-2015, 09:24 PM
I've been really happy with my 24" Rigidhorse light bar so far. It was priced reasonably (~$65), and it has held up really well so far. It's bright as heck too. I got it mostly for hunting and ice fishing, but it really lights up the back country roads well too.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e124/Rocketryan1/20151129_114027_zps1k1petnv.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Rocketryan1/media/20151129_114027_zps1k1petnv.jpg.html)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e124/Rocketryan1/20151121_133218_zpsivcldupi.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Rocketryan1/media/20151121_133218_zpsivcldupi.jpg.html)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e124/Rocketryan1/PicsArt_11-20-10.05.13_zps6ezhxjba.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Rocketryan1/media/PicsArt_11-20-10.05.13_zps6ezhxjba.jpg.html)

XJ Wheeler
12-11-2015, 09:33 PM
Almost forgot. I did a video a while back showing pics comparing several different kinds of lights between mine and my brothers.

Jeep Cherokee Lighting Duel!: http://youtu.be/ZrE4wrnpJ4E

cheeko00
12-11-2015, 09:46 PM
I am not super into LED light bars, I was thinking KC light ish style, with the stone guard. Which i would like to find for LED( so its cheap, and like mentioned, less strain on battery/ alternator) I would like 4 4-5" round lights on the front of my roof basket and probably 2 rectangular lights on my bull bar of my front bumper. Just not sure what brands you guys have had the best of luck with!

4.3LXJ
12-11-2015, 11:57 PM
You might check with Mudderoy about his KCs. He took them off his XJ I think. He might be willing to part with them reasonably

Carves
12-12-2015, 12:12 AM
Im looking for lights for my rig, what brand would you recommend? Led vs halogen? Anyhting helps!

Where do you want to use the lights ??

Do you want better long distance, or wide angle, visibility ??

Clear visibility or fog condition application ??

I bought different lights at first(mostly KC hi-lights) and was not impressed. I decided to make my own. I started with a NAPA tractor light because it had a rubber housing and the light cost $9.00. I then found I could replace the standard 5" sealed beam with a Wagner(4509) 100watt sealed beam aircraft landing light for about $11.00. I upgraded the wiring and had myself a decent driving light for about $20.00 I have since discovered and obtained more 4509 lights for about $6.00 each. The tractor lights with rubber housings are harder to find. But for what I want the extra lights for, my way suits me just fine.

I was a big fan of the little 4", 100w "aircraft landing lights" lights back in the day. Trouble was they went yellow fairly quickly, and the filaments would break on long, night trips on gravel roads.

I got real quick at fitting newies I carried as spares .. :rolleyes: .. :D

Eventually I dropped down to the 4", 55w halogen sealed beam ... not quite as bright but lasted longer.

I always wished M113s had 12v systems instead of 24v ... coz then I would have had lotsa spares .. :rolleye0012: .. :D

I believe GE still makes bulb assys if you ever have issues getting the wagners.

cheeko00
12-12-2015, 12:15 AM
wide angle/ added visibility, and for mostly clear applications

Mudderoy
12-12-2015, 12:23 AM
https://youtu.be/U0Sp2tiHVX0

cheeko00
12-12-2015, 12:30 AM
https://youtu.be/U0Sp2tiHVX0

wow that is quite the difference... Any possibility i can get a hold of led 5" or so with some nice rock guards like on the KC lights?

TallGuyJeep
12-12-2015, 03:24 AM
KC has their gravity series lights.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/12/7d84466ab180ba6dafbfd47f2eac650c.jpg

But for almost 500 bucks for a pair they are too pricey.

In my experience cheaper LED bars aren't putting out the same distance as halogen or HID. I have 4 KC 130 watt driving lights on my bumper along with a 52 inch lightbar on the roof. I think the light bar puts out more light overall, but the KCs give more distance.
A cheopo bar gives more of a flood pattern, even if it is spot or combo (at least the large ones, haven't tried any of the smaller sizes).

I've seen guys on the web retrofit a set of cheap Hellas to HID and get massive distance out of those. If i were to do it again I'd do the HID conversion for spotting deer down the road and pair it with the cheap lightbar on the roof for more overall lighting. Also i think the
LED/halogen combo gives a really nice overall color output for night vision. Really there are so many options out there and most of them work really well so it's all about preference and finding what fits what you want it to do. :)

Mudderoy
12-12-2015, 09:17 AM
wow that is quite the difference... Any possibility i can get a hold of led 5" or so with some nice rock guards like on the KC lights?

I've seen round LED lights, but I'm not sure if the rock guards would fit.

Mudderoy
12-12-2015, 09:20 AM
https://youtu.be/FIYlsCuDlus

https://youtu.be/OXGn13uIOHE

cheeko00
12-12-2015, 09:47 AM
approximately how much wattage can you put on your battery (and/or) alternator?

Mudderoy
12-12-2015, 01:29 PM
approximately how much wattage can you put on your battery (and/or) alternator?

I believe the stock alternator is 90 amps. The battery is 800(?) CCA So really it's how many amps can you draw and still charge the battery. Of course if the lights are on short term, you don't have to be charging the battery.

I can't remember I think I pull 20 amps with all the LED lights on. I have another 20" in the rear that I haven't wired in yet. I believe it's 9 amps.

You can always go to another alternator and larger wiring between it and the battery/starter.

XJ Wheeler
12-12-2015, 02:58 PM
KC has their gravity series lights.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/12/7d84466ab180ba6dafbfd47f2eac650c.jpg

But for almost 500 bucks for a pair they are too pricey.

In my experience cheaper LED bars aren't putting out the same distance as halogen or HID. I have 4 KC 130 watt driving lights on my bumper along with a 52 inch lightbar on the roof. I think the light bar puts out more light overall, but the KCs give more distance.
A cheopo bar gives more of a flood pattern, even if it is spot or combo (at least the large ones, haven't tried any of the smaller sizes).

I've seen guys on the web retrofit a set of cheap Hellas to HID and get massive distance out of those. If i were to do it again I'd do the HID conversion for spotting deer down the road and pair it with the cheap lightbar on the roof for more overall lighting. Also i think the
LED/halogen combo gives a really nice overall color output for night vision. Really there are so many options out there and most of them work really well so it's all about preference and finding what fits what you want it to do. :)
You need to check out Osram LED lightbars. They have convex lenses that produce a very narrow 10* beam. I have a 12" I bought my mistake (not knowing it was different) and it down right amazed me the range it has. My Hella 500 spots look like an old Maglite compared.

TallGuyJeep
12-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Did a quick search, those look awesome! I think i might have to end up getting one for my new jeep eventually. Price isn't awful either compared to rigid bars. Thanks for the share!

XJ Wheeler
12-12-2015, 03:17 PM
Did a quick search, those look awesome! I think i might have to end up getting one for my new jeep eventually. Price isn't awful either compared to rigid bars. Thanks for the share!
Yeah, they're a bit more than most generic cree bars and they do draw more as well. But totally worth it. Just make sure they have those lenses. There's some sellers saying they are Osram but don't have those and don't pull more so I think they're fibbing.

denverd1
12-12-2015, 03:20 PM
You can have your current alt rewound with more wire to up its output a bit. I've got a spreadsheet that will Calc amps for your system if I can find it.

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

cheeko00
12-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Are there any LED brands that use rock guards? or has anyone made a mesh guard for their LED lights?

xjzaped
12-13-2015, 11:33 AM
The only thing I will say about LED lighting, not the best option for snow.

My XJ used to KC Daylighters and overhead Rally Series halogens on it. I robbed a set for my F150 and then began migrating completely to LED on the XJ. H4 housings, LED bulbs, a Longshot lighting 11" bar where the Dayliters sat. Snow blinds you…never noticed that with the halogens.

I put LED head light bulbs in my 2013 Sierra. Apparently there is some monitoring stuff on there that keeps the low beams from shutting down and the high beams won't even fire on the truck but fire on a supply so I'm currently running the OE high beam bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudderoy
12-13-2015, 01:36 PM
Are there any LED brands that use rock guards? or has anyone made a mesh guard for their LED lights?

Oh I forgot about these...

These are to turn my LED's into fog lights, but they also have clear.

TallGuyJeep
12-14-2015, 06:24 PM
The only thing I will say about LED lighting, not the best option for snow.

My XJ used to KC Daylighters and overhead Rally Series halogens on it. I robbed a set for my F150 and then began migrating completely to LED on the XJ. H4 housings, LED bulbs, a Longshot lighting 11" bar where the Dayliters sat. Snow blinds you…never noticed that with the halogens.

I put LED head light bulbs in my 2013 Sierra. Apparently there is some monitoring stuff on there that keeps the low beams from shutting down and the high beams won't even fire on the truck but fire on a supply so I'm currently running the OE high beam bulbs.

Also LEDs don't melt the snow on the lens so they need to be brushed off sometimes if you drive in a snow storm. But they don't get iced up, the snow just brushes off.

cheeko00
12-16-2015, 04:33 PM
Oh I forgot about these...

These are to turn my LED's into fog lights, but they also have clear.

Thats a wicked thing to have!

Also LEDs don't melt the snow on the lens so they need to be brushed off sometimes if you drive in a snow storm. But they don't get iced up, the snow just brushes off.

Oh, but i think as far as running into alternator and battery issues, LEDS are the better way to go...?

Mudderoy
12-16-2015, 04:39 PM
Thats a wicked thing to have!

Oh, but i think as far as running into alternator and battery issues, LEDS are the better way to go...?

Assuming the 4 KC lights I had on my Jeep were truly 100watts, a quick calc says each one was pulling 7.25 amps, times 4 = 29 amps.

I'm pulling 32 amps (calculated) with a 44", 20" and 2 x 7" LED light bars.

https://youtu.be/wuUGcjPyFDs

TallGuyJeep
12-16-2015, 04:40 PM

Generally yes, i think so. Should draw less, but wait for someone more knowledgeable than i to chime in. I'm not really an expert on amperage and whatnot, i just hook em up and turn em all on lol.

cheeko00
12-16-2015, 08:35 PM
Assuming the 4 KC lights I had on my Jeep were truly 100watts, a quick calc says each one was pulling 7.25 amps, times 4 = 29 amps.

I'm pulling 32 amps (calculated) with a 44", 20" and 2 x 7" LED light bars.

https://youtu.be/wuUGcjPyFDs

with those number figures you gave, what does the stock alternator/ battery provide for amps?

XJ Wheeler
12-17-2015, 02:02 AM
Light output to light output, yes the LEDs are much more efficient. But you can still total up some big numbers with LED with the amount of bulbs they run. Cree bulbs are typically 3w a piece. A 50" bar runs 100 bulbs, equaling 300w. But to equate the amount of brightness to 4-100w halogen lights you could probably go around a 20-30" bar (depending on brand, bulbs, etc on both style of lights) which would pull 120-180w. Less than half of halogen.

slvmart
12-17-2015, 04:35 AM
Out here in SW Michigan, where we get our bit of snow, it's not the LED's that are a problem with visibility. It's not rare that once a season you get into a situation where you are lucky to drive at 10mph, because you just can't make out where the edge of the road is. Halogens, if you turn on the brights, are bad enough. Much of it has to do with where the lights are mounted and aimed. Higher mounting causes scattering of the light off the falling snow. Amber "fog" lights are much better, if mounted low and not aimed high. Most cars with LED headlights have a very abrupt cut off for light, horizontally, and I haven't noticed, so far, that they pose a problem.

Mudderoy
12-17-2015, 08:31 AM
Out here in SW Michigan, where we get our bit of snow, it's not the LED's that are a problem with visibility. It's not rare that once a season you get into a situation where you are lucky to drive at 10mph, because you just can't make out where the edge of the road is. Halogens, if you turn on the brights, are bad enough. Much of it has to do with where the lights are mounted and aimed. Higher mounting causes scattering of the light off the falling snow. Amber "fog" lights are much better, if mounted low and not aimed high. Most cars with LED headlights have a very abrupt cut off for light, horizontally, and I haven't noticed, so far, that they pose a problem.

I purposely purchased flood for the 2 7" LED lights. The vertical and horizontal spread on these are very wide. They don't put out a great deal of focused light, but well the road signs and the highway signs up 30 feet light up like a Christmas tree.

4.3LXJ
12-17-2015, 01:19 PM
In the Sierras, near where I live, LED headlights are a problem in a blizzard. The Jeep Wrangler headlights are recessed into the grill. The LEDs don't produce enough heat to keep the snow melted off, so you end up shining light through an inch of snow which makes it really diffused.

xjzaped
12-17-2015, 01:36 PM
LEDs do produce heat…just not like one would expect.

TallGuyJeep
12-17-2015, 03:12 PM
In the Sierras, near where I live, LED headlights are a problem in a blizzard. The Jeep Wrangler headlights are recessed into the grill. The LEDs don't produce enough heat to keep the snow melted off, so you end up shining light through an inch of snow which makes it really diffused.
Trucklite has a version with heated lenses for the JK now, I'm sure others will follow suit if they haven't already. Still don't have heated lenses for the xj though as far as i know. I have trucklite led headlights on my jeep, and I haven't had any troubles. I could definitely see them having trouble on long drives in the snow though, but from my experience, running around town in the snow it isn't really an issue.

4.3LXJ
12-17-2015, 08:33 PM
Around town isn't a big deal. It is going over Donor Pass that is a problem here

TallGuyJeep
12-17-2015, 10:07 PM
Sounds like a place you don't want to go in the snow anyway. ;) but i totally get ya. Definitely pros and cons to going LED. Maybe in that situation add some halogen fog lights.

cheeko00
12-18-2015, 04:28 PM
im really considering a combination of halogen up on my roof rack(maybe amber covers to swap in/out) and then a 10-12" Cree LED bar on my front bull bar. I think that would be the most effective for snowy conditions and general lighting up at night and on the trails.

Possibility for 2 rectangle halogen lights on my bull bar as well.

TallGuyJeep
12-21-2015, 05:30 PM
im really considering a combination of halogen up on my roof rack(maybe amber covers to swap in/out) and then a 10-12" Cree LED bar on my front bull bar. I think that would be the most effective for snowy conditions and general lighting up at night and on the trails.

Possibility for 2 rectangle halogen lights on my bull bar as well.
Sounds like a good plan. Depending on your application you could also mount some lights on the A pillar, spot pattern would probably be best. Anything you put on your bumper will generally be more effective than putting it in your roof so keep that in mind. Also running wiring to the roof can be annoying. Just trying to keep the ideas coming.:)

Order any lights yet? Christmas present to yourself maybe? ;)

cheeko00
12-21-2015, 05:42 PM
Sounds like a good plan. Depending on your application you could also mount some lights on the A pillar, spot pattern would probably be best. Anything you put on your bumper will generally be more effective than putting it in your roof so keep that in mind. Also running wiring to the roof can be annoying. Just trying to keep the ideas coming.:)

Order any lights yet? Christmas present to yourself maybe? ;)

I have that in mind for sure, it can get pretty snowy here in ontario, so the one on my roof rack will not be as efficient at that time. I have a few tricks on how to run wiring to the roof, having very minimal amount of wire seen.

I found nice ones from TSC but they dont ship to canada and the nearest stores in NY to me, dont stock them :(.

I would like a couple as self presents for sure, i want to get my lights started!

TallGuyJeep
12-21-2015, 05:57 PM
I've gotten all my lights from amazon/ebay or just locally i found on the classifieds. And if you have amazon prime could get free 2 day shipping. :)

cheeko00
12-21-2015, 06:13 PM
I am starting to like cree led lights more and more, im thinking a 12" or whatever my bull bar allows on the underside and the topside i will put 2 2"x7" cree led bars, and then have kc lights on the roof, when i have more $$.

TallGuyJeep
12-21-2015, 07:11 PM
Yeah they are definitely nice, especially now that prices keep coming down. Check out those Osram led bars too that were mentioned before. I would personally run one of those in the middle for lighting distance then 2 cree or halogen angled slightly to the side, plus whatever else on the roof or pillars. Like i mentioned before the cheaper LEDs don't seem to do that well for distance (if that's even what you need) but those Osram led bars seem to be pretty awesome.

cheeko00
12-21-2015, 07:56 PM
Yeah they are definitely nice, especially now that prices keep coming down. Check out those Osram led bars too that were mentioned before. I would personally run one of those in the middle for lighting distance then 2 cree or halogen angled slightly to the side, plus whatever else on the roof or pillars. Like i mentioned before the cheaper LEDs don't seem to do that well for distance (if that's even what you need) but those Osram led bars seem to be pretty awesome.

Thanks! ill check them out

cheeko00
01-27-2016, 04:15 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207063450962729&set=rpd.1174305006&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207063450562719&set=rpd.1174305006&type=3&theater

I decided to go with a 14.5" Cree LED light bar, from amazon.com. This thing is unreal and i can not believe how bright it is.