PDA

View Full Version : Used car prices are cazy

Joliet Johnny
12-10-2015, 11:06 AM
I was looking for a suitable temporary replacement for my XJ so I could lift, fix rust, armour and generally build my XJ this winter. I see little difference for an $800-5000 car these days. ) 4Runners 250k for $4k, Not wrecked XJs $3995 with horrible mileage(saw one with 450k on it and it was $2k), Nissan 4wds that Im willing to buy start at $7k and all have 150k on them. I need a car that will not freeze me to death on the side of a road but also go away with the least pain to my bank account/time to sell.

What is the most boring car people buy that has ground clearance enough for snow, 4wd(not AWD) and is big enough to sleep in if it becomes stuck that people will buy used for about $2500 or less?

Yes I know XJs with problems for $1k grow on trees on craigslist but Im looking for something that shows up in a buy here pay here lot to help build my wife’s credit up cause hers is so bad the Renegade and house loan are all in my name only(guess debt to income level is level). And $2500ish is so the 22% interest doesnt hurt me as bad.

abebehrmann
12-10-2015, 11:11 AM
I was looking for a suitable temporary replacement for my XJ so I could lift, fix rust, armour and generally build my XJ this winter. I see little difference for an $800-5000 car these days. ) 4Runners 250k for $4k, Not wrecked XJs $3995 with horrible mileage(saw one with 450k on it and it was $2k), Nissan 4wds that Im willing to buy start at $7k and all have 150k on them. I need a car that will not freeze me to death on the side of a road but also go away with the least pain to my bank account/time to sell.

What is the most boring car people buy that has ground clearance enough for snow, 4wd(not AWD) and is big enough to sleep in if it becomes stuck that people will buy used for about $2500 or less?

Yes I know XJs with problems for $1k grow on trees on craigslist but Im looking for something that shows up in a buy here pay here lot to help build my wife’s credit up cause hers is so bad the Renegade and house loan are all in my name only(guess debt to income level is level). And $2500ish is so the 22% interest doesnt hurt me as bad.

First vehicle that popped into my head was a second gen Explorer. I see them all the time for <$2k in decent condition.

Then if something eventually goes wrong, you have an 8.8 with disc brakes to swap into your XJ! :bacondance:

TallGuyJeep
12-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Maybe a small pick up like a Ford Ranger or a Tacoma. Some smaller SUVs maybe gmc jimmy, chevy blazer, explorer was already mentioned. After a quick look all of these i can get off local classifieds for 1-3 grand. I know you are in a different part of the country though, so prices are probably different.

I know you want true 4wd not awd but maybe a little subaru would be a good option. Forester or something similar. Food for thought. :)

XJ Wheeler
12-10-2015, 03:17 PM
S10 blazer. They are generally cheap and the 4.3 is a great engine. Don't have much personal experience though.

Maybe a durango. People dont value though too much but i haven't checked the prices recently though.

To be honest, older tahoes and and yukons (88-98) are so plentiful you can generally find them cheaper. And parts are just about the most common of any vehicle I've seen (along with the silverado/sierra).

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Brasscatz
12-10-2015, 11:24 PM
Could also find a cheap suzuki or isuzu 4x4