PDA

View Full Version : Need engine help

TallGuyJeep
11-23-2015, 06:22 PM
1990, Renix, 4x4, auto, open cooling system conversion

Went to drive the jeep to work this afternoon the jeep starts right up purring like a kitty. Barely make it down the street amd around the corner, now it feels like only half the cylinders are firing. Almost no power. Pull over. Really low idle, bouncing a bit. Gradually gets lower shudders and dies. Great. I wait a minute and try to start again to get back to my house. Runs a bit better, limp it around the block and home. Shut it off. Pop the hood everything seemed ok, tried to start again, doesn't want to. Tried to do the key trick to get the codes, cant seem to get it to work. Does it work with the renix? Starts again after a few tries, same thing, runs fine for a minute then running bad idle drops and wants to die. I've got it in the garage now push all the wires onto the spark plugs and cap, seems good. Unscrew the little cap on the fuel rail and push in the pressure thing, shot of gas comes out so it seems to at least have gas there. Pull the cap off, has some buildup on the contact points and rotor, so i took it off with some sandpaper real quick. Start it again, same thing.

Let it sit while i did some digging on the web, now she won't start at all. Spins and seems to catch a little bit but won't start all the way. Has had some overheating problems due to the dual electric fans not kicking on while idling so I'm just hoping i didn't majorly eff up the engine with a warped cylinder or something.

So now I'm wondering what to do next. I'll probably start with basic stuff like pulling the plugs and basic tune up stuff. What do you guys think?

Any and all help appreciated.
Josh

XJ Wheeler
11-23-2015, 06:32 PM
Going through similar problems with my brothers 90. I would start checking sensors... cps, tps, iac, cks and go from there. Btw, 92 isn't renix. ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TallGuyJeep
11-23-2015, 06:40 PM
This is my other jeep, it's a 1990. What's the cks?

XJ Wheeler
11-23-2015, 06:43 PM
This is my other jeep, it's a 1990. What's the cks?
Whoops! Yep, that is a renix.

Camshaft position sensor. It's in the dizzy.

TallGuyJeep
11-23-2015, 06:58 PM
Ok. I reckon I'll start with those then go from there.

Of course this happens right as i get this one all cleaned up and ready to drive. Just put on the swaybar and links to make it not so scary to turn and swapped my trucklites over so it's not scary to drive at night, i even vacuumed it on saturday... [emoji25]

XJ Wheeler
11-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Lol, it wasn't done resting!

Good luck bud!

TallGuyJeep
11-23-2015, 07:17 PM
Hahaha need to teach her not to be so lazy! Maybe i need to set a better example, sounds kinda like me in the morning... ;)

TallGuyJeep
11-27-2015, 05:01 PM
Well I've cleaned up a lot of grounds, checked a bunch of wiring. Has spark off the coil... I tried to check the cps, seems to be a common fail and a recommended place to start, but can't get any reading at all off it. Supposed to get .5 ac volts if it's good. I reckon I'll grab a new cps and try that out.

Pulled one of the more accessible plugs, seemed fairly charred and had some build up so I'll probably grab some new plugs as well.

TallGuyJeep
11-29-2015, 04:11 PM
Anybody know about a plastic cover the CPS sits in? More importantly where to find a replacement???? Covers part of the bellhousing, and the CPS fits into a hole in the cover. Mine of course broke when putting the new one in, now there is a big hole in the transmission and I can't find a replacement anywhere.

TallGuyJeep
11-29-2015, 06:33 PM
After some further research looks to be some kind of dust cover and may or may not be that important.

Oh, and don't drop your cps bolt into the bell housing, it's not fun to get back out. [emoji14]

4.3LXJ
11-29-2015, 07:37 PM
Wrecking yard is the best bet

TallGuyJeep
11-29-2015, 07:40 PM
Yeah, figured as much. Not too excited about grabbing one as its been low 20's this week... And i would have to take work off or wait till next weekend anyway. [emoji14]

4.3LXJ
11-29-2015, 07:43 PM
Ain't this weather wonderful?

XJ Wheeler
11-29-2015, 07:49 PM
Ah man, I just went Friday. I could have grabbed you one. I'm tentatively planning on going back for new years (50% off) so let me know if you still need it then.

TallGuyJeep
11-29-2015, 08:00 PM
Winter is my favorite, but can make pick n pull miserable...

That's a really kind offer Jake, i appreciate ya. I should be able to grab one next weekend though since i won't be busy with the fam. If i still need I'll for sure let you know!

XJ Wheeler
11-29-2015, 08:17 PM
No problem josh. Hope ya get it fixed, without loosing too many digits to the frost. [emoji14]

TallGuyJeep
12-04-2015, 01:47 PM
No problem josh. Hope ya get it fixed, without loosing too many digits to the frost. [emoji14]

Still have all my digits, but I've missed work every day but monday because i got myself sick from it. [emoji14] And the best part is we had our family pictures last night that we scheduled over 3 months ago..... Went alright just took a bunch of meds before lol. Probably look like death but the guy is a photoshop master so should turn out ok. ;)

XJ Wheeler
12-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Still have all my digits, but I've missed work every day but monday because i got myself sick from it. [emoji14] And the best part is we had our family pictures last night that we scheduled over 3 months ago..... Went alright just took a bunch of meds before lol. Probably look like death but the guy is a photoshop master so should turn out ok. ;)
Lol, gonna have to take care of that drool, open the left eye, and face you toward the camera. [emoji14] Just joshin [emoji13]

TallGuyJeep
12-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Lol, gonna have to take care of that drool, open the left eye, and face you toward the camera. [emoji14] Just joshin [emoji13]

Lol shut up. Probably look better than you on a normal day. ;)

XJ Wheeler
12-04-2015, 04:38 PM
:smiley-laughing021: Yeah, suurrrrre. Keep telling yourself that. [emoji14]

TallGuyJeep
12-05-2015, 06:22 PM
Ok so I'm feeling well enough to at least swap in some new spark plugs. Putting in new Champion copper plus, but they seem to me a bit longer than the ones already in there. Is this a big problem? Not sure how much room there is in there, would hate to have them get smashed.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/05/84a9e0b64623c68b5bc6d12ae88bfed7.jpg

4.3LXJ
12-05-2015, 07:08 PM
The one on the right looks normal for a 4.0 plug

TallGuyJeep
12-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Thanks Steve! :) Just wanted to make sure before i tried to start it up.

TallGuyJeep
12-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Guys. I'm an idiot. It was out of gas. Put some gas in, started right up.... Ughh

But in my defense the gas guage was reading just under a quarter tank still... At least she got some new stuff out of it!

XJ Wheeler
12-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Guys. I'm an idiot. It was out of gas. Put some gas in, started right up.... Ughh

But in my defense the gas guage was reading just under a quarter tank still... At least she got some new stuff out of it!
Did the same thing after rebuilding the heads on my bronco 2. Feels real good, doesn't it...

TallGuyJeep
12-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Did the same thing after rebuilding the heads on my bronco 2. Feels real good, doesn't it...

Feel pretty stupid right now. I'm sure tomorrow it will be more funny haha:) I'm just glad i don't have to drive the mini van to work on monday!

denverd1
12-07-2015, 04:04 PM
lol!!! Hey glad it as an easy "fix"!!

TallGuyJeep
12-07-2015, 04:13 PM
lol!!! Hey glad it as an easy "fix"!!
Haha yeah, once i figured it out! Still feel like doing a face palm when i think about it. [emoji14]