PDA

View Full Version : Flexy leaf springs

denverd1
11-22-2015, 06:09 PM
how many leafs in your spring pack?

Was looking at mine yesterday. I've got 6 or 7 leafs in the pack. I think they're from a rubicon express kit with the stock shackle. Super stiff, I have very little rear end articulation. I'd like to run 3" springs with a shackle to give it better flex. Aren't stock packs 4 leaves?

denverd1
11-22-2015, 09:26 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/22/6db39ce6501b5589215db4c202f4e844.jpg
So it's 6 leaves. No wonder it's stiff.

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

nickyg
11-23-2015, 03:06 AM
I got 4 in mine.

tinythexj
11-23-2015, 05:15 PM
Mine has six leafs, they are skyjacker 4.5 with stock shackles and flex really well.

BlackYeti
11-23-2015, 06:33 PM
I run the OME 3.5" leafs with shackle relocators. its softer than the front RE 3.5" coils.
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l525/91to99/IMG_20130406_121128_375.jpg
Other side.
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l525/91to99/IMG_20130406_123821_963.jpg
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l525/91to99/IMG_20130406_121107_153.jpg

denverd1
11-25-2015, 11:38 AM
Looks good Yeti. you got a pic them stuffed in the fender? I'm a little surprised OME packs have that many leaves.

My issue is I've got a shackle relocate kit which provides 2" of lift. Can't decide if I want to lift another 2". I really don't want to until I get stiffeners/sliders/step bars done.

Even then I don't really want to... I've got a SYE and a custom rear shaft. I'd probably need a new front DS. Putting adjustable track bar and drop bracket on in a few days. already have dropped pitman. got the brake lines to put on. what am I missing?

I can stuff a rear tire without a problem, but I dropped off a ledge the other day and nearly threw by back out. the guy behind me even mentioned it, I forgot exactly what he said, but he indicated if I had a little softer springs, the descent would've been a lot smoother.

So I'd either:
1) have to go for the lift. I think I have most of what I'd need.
2) sell my leaves and get 2" or 3" leaves and use the shackle kit to get back to 4.5/5".

Don't have a huge urge to get on 35" rubber. My style involves moderate skinny pedal and with a healthy dose of line choice and technique. I definitely don't want to baby it around though. rear is locked and front will be locked soon, so thinking I'll be on 33s for a while.

I've basically got everything to do the lift now. I'd order front coils instead of use the 2" pucks that came in the kit if I do lift it further.

what would you do? this is an off-road only rig...

denverd1
11-25-2015, 11:53 AM
also I've got RE lowers on drop brackets. looks like I'd need some adjustable uppers maybe more adjustable lowers as well.

steering may need to be upgraded and I'm about ready to do that. I could probably use stock steering (with dropped pitman and trackbar) for now. just thinking about the next round of mods :rolleyes: :D

BlackYeti
11-25-2015, 12:52 PM
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l525/91to99/naxja%20trip/wheelin214-1.jpg

This was before I moved my shock mount up on the axle.
With my relocators I am sitting at 4.5". It evens out really well with the 3.5 up front loaded down with camping gear. In reality I sit a little higher in the back and it bugs me a bit, but not so much that it is way to obvious.
If I were you, I wouldnt worry about the lift and have a nice ride with very little stink bug stance. I dont believe that they all lift 2 inches. With some adjusting and working on your shackle angle you might just end up with less than 1". And at 4.5" on your rig, I wouldn't hesitate to install them for all the benefits they offer.

My rear lift consists of 3.5" OME leafs, HD shackle relocators, and MJ shackles. And I have no more than 5" over stock completely empty, including no fuel....

TallGuyJeep
11-25-2015, 01:04 PM
also I've got RE lowers on drop brackets. looks like I'd need some adjustable uppers maybe more adjustable lowers as well.

steering may need to be upgraded and I'm about ready to do that. I could probably use stock steering (with dropped pitman and trackbar) for now. just thinking about the next round of mods :rolleyes: :D
You can upgrade to the ZJ tie rod for pretty cheap, gives much more beef and direct bolt on. Did it on me white jeep, super easy (once i got all the right parts) well worth it it think. Great upgrade without going all out on 1 ton

denverd1
11-25-2015, 01:58 PM
You can upgrade to the ZJ tie rod for pretty cheap, gives much more beef and direct bolt on. Did it on me white jeep, super easy (once i got all the right parts) well worth it it think. Great upgrade without going all out on 1 ton

I like that idea!! for some reason I was just thinking that mod applied to tie rod ends. but its all the steering linkage below the pitman arm? May have to do that soon.

what other parts did you need? correct TREs? seems pretty easy. I'm about to give the front end some love. new bearings, u joints. locker and now steering! woohoo!

denverd1
11-25-2015, 02:00 PM
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l525/91to99/naxja%20trip/wheelin214-1.jpg

This was before I moved my shock mount up on the axle.
With my relocators I am sitting at 4.5". It evens out really well with the 3.5 up front loaded down with camping gear. In reality I sit a little higher in the back and it bugs me a bit, but not so much that it is way to obvious.
If I were you, I wouldnt worry about the lift and have a nice ride with very little stink bug stance. I dont believe that they all lift 2 inches. With some adjusting and working on your shackle angle you might just end up with less than 1". And at 4.5" on your rig, I wouldn't hesitate to install them for all the benefits they offer.

My rear lift consists of 3.5" OME leafs, HD shackle relocators, and MJ shackles. And I have no more than 5" over stock completely empty, including no fuel....

ya know, I really like that idea. I could always add 1" spacer later on. but stink bugging for a bit wouldn't kill me

denverd1
11-25-2015, 02:09 PM
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l525/91to99/IMG_20130406_121107_153.jpg

Yeti, where'd you get this tire carrier?

TallGuyJeep
11-25-2015, 02:14 PM
I like that idea!! for some reason I was just thinking that mod applied to tie rod ends. but its all the steering linkage below the pitman arm? May have to do that soon.

what other parts did you need? correct TREs? seems pretty easy. I'm about to give the front end some love. new bearings, u joints. locker and now steering! woohoo!
Just need the tie rod, adjustment sleeve and TRE. The drag link is exactly the same. Just make sure you get it off the v8 model, that gets you the thicker and solid tie rod. The ends are thicker too, but bolt in the same. I got mine new from a local parts store from a 95 ZJ. I wanna say it was like 80 bucks for everything.

IIRC the zj rod has a TRE built in on the pass. side so you will need the rod, the adj sleeve and a rod end for the driver side. BleepinJeep did a vid on it you can watch. :)

denverd1
11-25-2015, 02:29 PM
Just need the tie rod, adjustment sleeve and TRE. The drag link is exactly the same. Just make sure you get it off the v8 model, that gets you the thicker and solid tie rod. The ends are thicker too, but bolt in the same. I got mine new from a local parts store from a 95 ZJ. I wanna say it was like 80 bucks for everything.

IIRC the zj rod has a TRE built in on the pass. side so you will need the rod, the adj sleeve and a rod end for the driver side. BleepinJeep did a vid on it you can watch. :)

I'll check it out!! thanks!!

BlackYeti
11-25-2015, 02:44 PM
That is a ProtoFab bumper. Got it from my brother in law years ago.

Make sure the tie rod is from a V-8 ZJ. I got mine from the junkyard and put a new end on the adjusting sleeve side. Works wonderfully.

denverd1
11-25-2015, 03:32 PM
That is a ProtoFab bumper. Got it from my brother in law years ago.

Make sure the tie rod is from a V-8 ZJ. I got mine from the junkyard and put a new end on the adjusting sleeve side. Works wonderfully.

are you guys upgrading the drag link as well? I don't see a real need for it, the tie rod is gonna get 10x the abuse than the link, just curious

4.3LXJ
11-25-2015, 03:38 PM
The drag link is the same for both the XJ and ZJ

TallGuyJeep
11-25-2015, 04:12 PM
The drag link is the same for both the XJ and ZJ
Yup, same part numbers when i looked.

tinythexj
11-25-2015, 05:18 PM
Draglinks are the same so there is no upgrade there but when you go with the upgraded tie rod and ends they are way beefier. Did this upgrade on mine and I haven't had any issues since. Even for a "stock" set up it is a huge improvement over the anorexic xj stock setup.