PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

OGCollard
11-20-2015, 08:45 PM
The pic is taken from behind it. It is right in middle of drivetrain. Is it the back of the tranny or something that bolts to back of tranny? And why would it be making like an electronic buzzing sound? How would i diagnose this?

OGCollard
11-20-2015, 08:47 PM
Wait wait! Is it the transfer case?

Carves
11-20-2015, 08:51 PM
Yep ... you got it.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/asemaster327/2009-09-22_191625_09-22-2009_141351.jpg

OGCollard
11-20-2015, 08:52 PM
Any idea why it would be making a constant buzzing noise?

Carves
11-20-2015, 09:00 PM
Nope ... Im waiting to see what answers people have for you.

... coz mine just makes the stretched chain, slap and rattle sound .. :D

OGCollard
11-20-2015, 09:10 PM
Yeah it is definately not slappy clangy sound. Is for sure an electric buzzing type sound. Since i have never replaced the flyluid since i bought the jeep i will do that forst. Hell i did not even know what the heck it was!

4.3LXJ
11-20-2015, 09:30 PM
:D:D:D
I was waiting for some really smart ass remark :rolleye0012:

But you threw me a curve. Pic was upside down. I thought maybe I was looking at a Chevy :smiley-taunt002:

OGCollard
11-20-2015, 09:50 PM
Sorry bout that 4.3. So i bet you know why it started making a buzzing type sound, or at least a couple ideas.....i know sooner got the dying fixed it seems and this starts up

4.3LXJ
11-20-2015, 10:18 PM
Actually, I do't unless it is your speed sensor on the tail housing. That and the light for the switch is the only possibilities I can think of

OGCollard
11-20-2015, 10:34 PM
Well i guess the cheapest attempt and most likely needed thing is to chamge the t-case fluid

OGCollard
11-20-2015, 11:15 PM
So i ise dex 3 for the t-case correct? The auto parts store told me atf +4 for the transmission fluid so i put that in there. I assume the t-case fluid and the tranny fluid do not mix together cause atf+4 and bex 3 are not compatible correct?

GoneWithTheWind
11-21-2015, 12:58 AM
Sorry bout that 4.3. So i bet you know why it started making a buzzing type sound, or at least a couple ideas.....i know sooner got the dying fixed it seems and this starts up

T-case low fluid warning buzzer. :D

GoneWithTheWind
11-21-2015, 01:00 AM
:D:D:D
I was waiting for some really smart ass remark :rolleye0012:

But you threw me a curve. Pic was upside down. I thought maybe I was looking at a Chevy :smiley-taunt002:

Was that snarky enough? :smiley-taunt002:

GoneWithTheWind
11-21-2015, 01:17 AM
So i ise dex 3 for the t-case correct? The auto parts store told me atf +4 for the transmission fluid so i put that in there. I assume the t-case fluid and the tranny fluid do not mix together cause atf+4 and bex 3 are not compatible correct?

I have a 231 t-case, aw-4 trans. I use atf-4 in the trans and the same in my t-case. ATF-4 is the new Mercon. I don't know if you can mix dex-3 with atf-4. Dex-ll and dex-lll are okay for your t-case but Not your trans.

OGCollard
11-21-2015, 05:05 AM
That was good and snarky! Haha! I guess my question was, does the fluid i put in tcase stay independent from teansmission fluid. It does not look like there are any lines that fluid would run from one thing to the other causing them to mix.

slvmart
11-21-2015, 05:08 AM
Have you tried just disconnecting the speed sensor to see if that gets rid of the bees in the T-case ?

OGCollard
11-21-2015, 05:10 AM
No i have not tried that. That would tell me if that is what is making that noise wouldnt it? I am still going to change fluid as it has never been done since i bought it....

OGCollard
11-21-2015, 05:20 AM
Another question...looking up speed sensor on rock auto i notice there is a speed sensor and a tcase switch. What is the difference between the two?

drakan1908
11-21-2015, 07:38 AM
Another question...looking up speed sensor on rock auto i notice there is a speed sensor and a tcase switch. What is the difference between the two?
Speed sensor powers your speedometer. Tcase switch lights up the light on your dash telling you what position the tcase is in I think. Your fluids in the tcase and transmission don't mix. I have a Grand with a 242 tcase and it uses Dexron3 but I am using Royal Purple Max ATF and my transmission is a 42re and it uses ATF4

sent from a van down by the river

OGCollard
11-21-2015, 08:02 AM
Could one drive without speed sensor and be dine? Just not know how fast you are going?

xj-jake
11-21-2015, 08:16 AM
You are correct Mark. Just don't pull it out otherwise you'll have juice slinging all over the place.

OGCollard
11-21-2015, 08:20 AM
Thata a pretty big assumption that there is enough juice in there to sling around!! Haha!! Just kidding....hopefully

drakan1908
11-21-2015, 09:38 AM
Could one drive without speed sensor and be dine? Just not know how fast you are going?
The speed sensor on mine also tells the ECM road speed info and from what I understand it can affect driveability if not connected. Also trans. shifting and torque converter lockup could be affected. But like I say I have a ZJ so I'm not sure what might be affected on your XJ over the long term.

sent from a van down by the river

4.3LXJ
11-21-2015, 10:49 AM
That was good and snarky! Haha! I guess my question was, does the fluid i put in tcase stay independent from teansmission fluid. It does not look like there are any lines that fluid would run from one thing to the other causing them to mix.

Yes, there is a seal there to keep them separated

OGCollard
11-21-2015, 12:31 PM
Ok so let jeep run in driveway for like 10 or 15 minutes. Buzzing went away. So since it is freezing here and the plugs are rusty and aluminum oragnesium i will wait to pull them. However my shifting issues seem to still be there. It is only after i have driven 5 or 10 miles but then it does not want to shift very well if at all. I checked the fluid and it seems fine. Its a little high but i have been driving it that way since i rebuilt the engine with no problems. Any thoughts?

GoneWithTheWind
11-21-2015, 12:52 PM
Ok so let jeep run in driveway for like 10 or 15 minutes. Buzzing went away. So since it is freezing here and the plugs are rusty and aluminum oragnesium i will wait to pull them. However my shifting issues seem to still be there. It is only after i have driven 5 or 10 miles but then it does not want to shift very well if at all. I checked the fluid and it seems fine. Its a little high but i have been driving it that way since i rebuilt the engine with no problems. Any thoughts?

It's possible the filter in the trans is plugging up. If it hasn't been changed in a long time there could be a build up of small particles, when it's not running this stuff will settle in the pan. When you drive the filter catches this stuff and plugs up again. Since it shifts good at first and doesn't when warmed up, I think you should drop the trans pan and change the filter.

GoneWithTheWind
11-21-2015, 01:04 PM
If you get a filter kit, it will have a good gasket included. If you don't you can use permatex for a gasket, and if your careful you might be able to clean the filter and re-use it. Most of them are just a screen material.

4.3LXJ
11-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Yes, do an oil and filter change and go from there

slvmart
11-22-2015, 04:57 AM
I would agree. Do, or have someone do, a fluid and filter (none on transfer case) change on both. Especially if the indications are that the XJ had been deprived of maintenance, by the previous owner. At least this is what I would do with any vehicle that had over 100k on the clock. If I read your info correct, you have a 2000 with over 194K. Both the trans and the transfer case have a reputation for being reliable.
If it seems like the buzzing is coming from the speed sensor, just buy a new one. Then when weather permits, change it. You might lose some oil and it might be a minor PITA, but probably better than rolling in the wet snow at the moment.

XJ Wheeler
11-23-2015, 11:35 AM
The aw4 likes to use Dexron III. Chrysler originally stated that was the fluid to use but changed it to atf4 (they stopped selling dex 3 though :rolleyes021: ). Although some have noted issues running atf4 so since you're doing a pan drop and filter change I would replace it with Dexron III.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GoneWithTheWind
11-23-2015, 12:41 PM
The aw4 likes to use Dexron III. Chrysler originally stated that was the fluid to use but changed it to atf4 (they stopped selling dex 3 though :rolleyes021: ). Although some have noted issues running atf4 so since you're doing a pan drop and filter change I would replace it with Dexron III.

I'm confused. They stopped selling dex-3, but you say to use dex-3?

GoneWithTheWind
11-23-2015, 12:49 PM
I asked about trans fluid a few months ago and didn't get an answer here, so I talked to some transmission shops. I was told to use the atf-4. I haven't had any problems with it in my transmission or t-case. ?

XJ Wheeler
11-23-2015, 01:13 PM
Other brands still make it. I use valvoline (only one I could find locally to me). But some believe the reason Chrysler switched their recommendation is due to not offering it anymore. I'm wondering if your shifting issue is because of the different fluid.

GoneWithTheWind
11-23-2015, 01:28 PM
I don't have any shifting issues, but awhile back I wasn't sure what to use.
If me or anyone else wanted to change the type of fluid we're using, wouldn't you also have to drain the torque converter as well as the transmission? If only the transmission were drained, there would still be some of the other fluid in the system, old mixing with the new. Kind of like Grandmas sourdough starter, or the barrel of shine under her rocker.

GoneWithTheWind
11-23-2015, 01:50 PM
Okay, more confusion. Chilton book says to use DexronllE/Mercon only for AW-4.
Haynes says to use Mercon in the AW-4.

Carves
11-23-2015, 03:45 PM
Okay, more confusion. Chilton book says to use DexronllE/Mercon only for AW-4.
Haynes says to use Mercon in the AW-4.

Dex III is supposed to be the current equivalent of those old oil specs.

As XJWheeler said ... it seems the ATF-4 issue came about due to chrysler servicing/stock requirements for chrysler vehicles.

... but the AW4 is not a AMC/chrysler gearbox.

Many state they dont have issues using ATF4 ... which may be dependant on how many times they drained and filled the gearbox to get, ALL, the dex III out. ?

OGCollard
11-23-2015, 05:51 PM
Well, because its cold here and i have no heater i am having a good and reputable shop do my transmission. They are going to drop the pan and see how it looks. I have drained and filled tranny fluid a couple months ago and it was very very bad. They are going to do a look see and see if a standard flush should work. I am having them take a peek but i alrwady know i want them to just do a complete flush and replace the filter for me cause i feel lazy and its cold!!

OGCollard
11-23-2015, 05:53 PM
Seems like its a good time to have them peek, while the problem is very very fresh rather than push it and make it worse in case it is something besides just a flush

OGCollard
11-23-2015, 05:57 PM
sorry for the quickfire posts here, but a question. The transmission shop, and that is all they do are transmissions, stated the possibility of doing a chemical cleaning on the transmission....do any of you guys know anything about this?

GoneWithTheWind
11-23-2015, 06:30 PM
I think your doing the right thing for your circumstances. Some of this stuff can get confusing with so many opinions coming at you. I'm not sure about the cleaning as I've never had it done.
I just talked to the service dept. at Dick Hanna about transmission fluids, and I'm going to keep my mouth shut about it.
Good luck, I hope you get it all worked out.

OGCollard
11-25-2015, 02:10 PM
Well, heard back from transmission shop. They dont want to flush it. They dont know what is plugging it up but said something inside the tranny was, and if they were to flush it it may cause the whole thing to fail. They did not even try to go into breaking it apart and finding it or wven selling me a new transmission. They said the best option is go pull one at the u-pull-it for 110 bucks and put it in. Hell that is less then the flush! Appreciate their honesty. They could have tried to gouge me and they did not. Just gave their honest assesment.

OGCollard
11-25-2015, 02:11 PM
So, jeep will have to sit till spring. Drive it around the block throughout winter to get the rest of the breakin miles on the engine then i am gonna have a whole bunch of queations for you guys as i do a transmission swap in apring!

denverd1
11-25-2015, 02:20 PM
so you haven't changed fluid at all? you can vacuum it out of the dipstick under the hood without dropping the pan. some oil change places do it that way to prevent their low level EE's from screwing something up. takes a while, but may be worth having jiffy lube do it this way if too cold for ya! Its not a terribly expensive service IIRC ($50'ish)and you may find that fresh fluid help ya shift better. Had this done on the WK and it shifts a lot better, but not quite to my liking so I'm still tinkering with it.

OGCollard
11-25-2015, 02:30 PM
Yeah i did a drain and fill 1000 miles ago. I may try that again, although if i have to keep throwing atf at it wlevery few months then seems like you would match the cost of the used transmission from junkyard shortly. I may try to drain and fill again but i wonder if it will really make a difference

denverd1
11-25-2015, 02:36 PM
Yeah i did a drain and fill 1000 miles ago. I may try that again, although if i have to keep throwing atf at it wlevery few months then seems like you would match the cost of the used transmission from junkyard shortly. I may try to drain and fill again but i wonder if it will really make a difference

gotcha. yea I may have missed that part. you're right, at 110 for a gently used one is a great price. these AW4s are typically good for 400K miles so something happened to yours along the way to shorten its life significantly, prolly not worth messing with.

so it shifted better then started acting up again? the FWF on replacing a trans is significant IMO but prolly better to get it done and not have to worry about it.

OGCollard
11-25-2015, 02:39 PM
What do you mean by FWF? Well it was shifting fine when engine blew. In the middle of the engine rebuild process the chocolate milk was seen in the transmission lines so i did the drain and fill then. I have only driven it 1000 miles since then on the rebuilt engine.

OGCollard
11-25-2015, 02:40 PM
So, anyone have good resource on pulling the tranny?

denverd1
11-25-2015, 05:59 PM
F*** With Factor. The PITA that will be pulling and replacing a trans

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

OGCollard
11-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Ah fwf. Makes sense. Well there is a company here in omaha that sells used trannys already pulled. They have one right now that is 225 bucks, it has 129000 miles on it. So if i go a route like that at least i am only pulling one tranny and installing one. Not having to pull both trannys then install the one. Be careful when you google used trannys. It can get a little, um, sifferent. Might not be what you are looking for.

denverd1
11-26-2015, 12:05 AM
Ah fwf. Makes sense. Well there is a company here in omaha that sells used trannys already pulled. They have one right now that is 225 bucks, it has 129000 miles on it. So if i go a route like that at least i am only pulling one tranny and installing one. Not having to pull both trannys then install the one. Be careful when you google used trannys. It can get a little, um, sifferent. Might not be what you are looking for.
Lol. Hahaha ha!!!! Best post. Used trannys. ....[emoji2]

you were looking for a resource on this. We're looking forward to your leadership on this one.

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

OGCollard
12-10-2015, 09:51 AM
A smart person would go ahead and replace the u-joints during this project wouldn't they? Seems smart since the driveshafts are pulled.

OGCollard
12-10-2015, 12:21 PM
When watching videos on people removing the transmission they seem to mark the flexplate and bell housing to make sure they go together in line. Since i will be putting a used transmission in i wont be able to do that step. What exactly am i to be lining up there or what would i do to make sure it is lined up correctly?

4.3LXJ
12-10-2015, 03:14 PM
The flex plate will only go on one way. Insert the torque converter into the tranny as far as it will go. Once you get it bolted up to the engine, rotate the two until you get a match on the holes, then start bolting them together. Rotate to the next position and bolt them together. When it is done, you can put the inspection cover on. And I would recommend some lock tite on the bolts

OGCollard
12-10-2015, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the input 4.3. So they are marking it just for ease of lining up later? Safe to assume i will need to rotate engine until they line up with the new used tranny then?

4.3LXJ
12-10-2015, 03:20 PM
I guess, I don't really know why they would. The holes on the flex plate look about the same, but one is drilled a little off so there is only one position they will all line up