PDA

View Full Version : Coolant drip, passenger bottom corner

packmule1911
11-19-2015, 04:14 PM
I'm getting some intermittent dripping of coolant. Looks like it's coming from the bottom passenger inboard corner of the radiator. It drips down the frame near the sway bar mount. Hard to see the source with the cooling fan cowl in place, but the evidence is clear.

Any problem with removing the cooling fan cowl for a while to help me keep a better eye on it?

New radiator time?

I remember reading a lengthy thread here about radiators, and it seemed inconclusive on which one was best. I've not had any overheating issues thus far. It generally guns at 195, rising to 215 stuck in traffic on a hot day, and then the aux fan kicks on at 220-ish.

GoneWithTheWind
11-19-2015, 05:34 PM
You should be okay removing the cowl for awhile. All it does is help direct air through the radiator.

4.3LXJ
11-19-2015, 06:47 PM
In winter months you can get away with it. Make sure it is on for summer

Cheromaniac
11-20-2015, 05:54 AM
I'm getting some intermittent dripping of coolant. Looks like it's coming from the bottom passenger inboard corner of the radiator. It drips down the frame near the sway bar mount. Hard to see the source with the cooling fan cowl in place, but the evidence is clear.

Any problem with removing the cooling fan cowl for a while to help me keep a better eye on it?

New radiator time?

I remember reading a lengthy thread here about radiators, and it seemed inconclusive on which one was best. I've not had any overheating issues thus far. It generally guns at 195, rising to 215 stuck in traffic on a hot day, and then the aux fan kicks on at 220-ish.

Sounds like the leak could be coming from the drain petcock on the lower passenger side corner. The hex fastener around it may have worked itself slightly loose so check it and retighten if necessary. Be careful not to overtighten it 'cause the plastic side tanks become fragile with age and you could cause a crack. If that doesn't cure the leak, just get an OEM 2-row replacement radiator.

Mudderoy
11-20-2015, 08:38 AM
My 98, depending on the level of the surface (I guess) water collects from the A/C and I've seen it drip all the way to the driver's side front! Not always. I just find the drip, get it on my finger and smell it. No smell it's water.