PDA

View Full Version : Need Experienced Tips

dondale13
11-18-2015, 10:28 AM
I'm totally new to any type 4x4, can't even drive a 4WD or FWD in the snow I have to stick to RWD, although I live in NE Ohio! Been working on cars for over 30yrs, but from the transfer case to the front axle I'm really puzzled. And this xj I'm working on was SEVERELY neglected, it's my bro inlaw's, he's a po' guy (broke) w/ a 5yo kid, so I'm lending $ for parts and my labor is free. I think hearing tips from experienced jeep owners/mechanics will really help me out! :confused:

OrangeXJ
11-18-2015, 12:12 PM
Ask any question you want there are a lot of people here that can help

nickyg
11-18-2015, 12:33 PM
TIP #1. Buy lots of PB Blaster..
TIP #2. Buy lots of liquid skin or bandages.
Stuck fasteners and skinned knuckles are a sure sign of a jeep owner

dondale13
11-21-2015, 09:40 AM
TIP #1. Buy lots of PB Blaster..
TIP #2. Buy lots of liquid skin or bandages.
Stuck fasteners and skinned knuckles are a sure sign of a jeep owner
Yup, I've got a can of Blaster, a can of Liquid Wrench, a can of WD40, I keep band aids in my pocket an liquid skin in my tool box! Been working on cars for a while, over 30yrs now, rebuilt my first auto tranny at 17yo. But this is the 1st 4x4 I've ever worked on! Don't understand from the trans case forward to the fr axle!

nickyg
11-21-2015, 10:02 AM
I'm with you there. This is my first 4 wheel drive since leaving the farm. when ever I get stumped. I snap a pic post a question and in a few hours I have a answer or a pretty good idea of what to do.

As far as tips. I've added to my regular oil and lube schedule spray down the transfer case linkage with WD 40. It makes it easier when you need to adjust it

dondale13
11-21-2015, 10:10 AM
I'm with you there. This is my first 4 wheel drive since leaving the farm. when ever I get stumped. I snap a pic post a question and in a few hours I have a answer or a pretty good idea of what to do.

As far as tips. I've added to my regular oil and lube schedule spray down the transfer case linkage with WD 40. It makes it easier when you need to adjust it
Good Idea! I can already see that NO maintenance has been done on this Jeep! I wonder if the previous owner knew how to check the oil!?!?!?

Carves
11-21-2015, 03:29 PM
I'm totally new to any type 4x4, can't even drive a 4WD or FWD in the snow I have to stick to RWD, although I live in NE Ohio! Been working on cars for over 30yrs, but from the transfer case to the front axle I'm really puzzled...............................

Dont let the 4x4 side of it get to you. Its all pretty basic.

Most XJ issues are electrical/fuel or suspension related - so your experience - and a few pointers to the common faults, from the fella's on the forum should get you thru it.

TallGuyJeep
11-21-2015, 08:29 PM
I've found you can pretty much find the answer to any problem or question on youtube or the forums if you dig enough. This is a great group of guys on here that are always more than willing to help with anything. All you gotta do is ask!

I think you'll find driving a 4x4 in the snow is much better than 2wd :) much more traction to get going or go around corners, just remember to still keep lots of room for stopping. Driving in the snow is my favorite. :)