PDA

View Full Version : 87 jeep cherokee 4.0 piston

Jimmyjeep
11-04-2015, 04:07 PM
Hi, Im new I hope I have this question in the right place. My jeep recently melted a hole in a piston and I am wondering can it be changed out through the oil pan so the motor does not have to be pulled. I hear through the man at the junk yard it cant be done as the crank is in the way but another guy says sure just pop it out the top no problem. I dont want to go through all the work to find out I must pull the motor can anyone help me out here with a positive for sure answer ?

4.3LXJ
11-04-2015, 04:24 PM
The piston has to come out the top. Does that answer your question? And yes it could be done with the engine in, but you have to remove the head and pan. Almost easier just to pull it

Pookapotamus
11-04-2015, 07:05 PM
Like Steve said, has to come out the top, even with the crank out it still has to come out the top, main bearing webbing is in the way

Having 4WD means getting stuck in more inaccessible places!

Jimmyjeep
11-05-2015, 03:25 AM
Thx for the reply I am checking out my options a deal on a different motor came up and the heads already off. Thx again for the reply When I decide What Im gonna do I will probably have more silly questions lol

OldFaurt
11-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Thx for the reply I am checking out my options a deal on a different motor came up and the heads already off. Thx again for the reply When I decide What Im gonna do I will probably have more silly questions lol

You might want to look into why you melted the hole in the first place, plugged up injector would run lean and cause that, Pre ignition would cause the melt down!

Good Luck! And questions are only silly if you have ask them twice!