PDA

View Full Version : Rear End Noise

1996_XJ
11-02-2015, 12:56 PM
This has been happening for maybe a month. The Jeep has 253,000 miles on it and still going strong. The noise sounds like it is coming from the back of the Jeep and it varies directly with the speed of the vehicle - it gets louder when I go faster and it gets quieter when I go slower, and it happens whether I push in on the clutch or not. The best I can describe it is a groaning noise or a whirring noise. The only thing I have done recently is I changed the diff fluid back in the summer; I don't know what kind of oil was in it but I put Mobil 1 synthetic 75/90 oil in it. It is an open rear-end, not LSD. But this noise has only been happening for a short while, not since right after I changed the oil in the diff.

nickyg
11-02-2015, 01:09 PM
R u sure it's in the diff? I have heard some fuel pumps make some pretty loud noises. Does it still make the sound when your at stand still?

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
11-02-2015, 01:21 PM
I would check those wheel bearings Steve. D44s have bearings that have their own race, so can be changed and probably get rid of that noise

1996_XJ
11-02-2015, 03:20 PM
R u sure it's in the diff? I have heard some fuel pumps make some pretty loud noises. Does it still make the sound when your at stand still?

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

Thanks for responding; I'm not sure it's in the diff, just somewhere in the back of the Jeep. But since it only happens when the vehicle is in motion I don't think it's the fuel pump.

1996_XJ
11-02-2015, 03:24 PM
I would check those wheel bearings Steve. D44s have bearings that have their own race, so can be changed and probably get rid of that noise

Actually a wheel bearing is the first thing I thought of, I bought this Jeep about 3 years ago and I don't know if those have ever been changed. I did put the rear end up on jack stands and turn the wheels, try to shake the wheels, etc... and neither wheel had much play in them so that kind of got me to thinking that maybe the bearings aren't my problem. But maybe they are after all?

4.3LXJ
11-02-2015, 03:33 PM
OK, but I have one question for you. The D44 you list in your info did not come on the 96. Are you sure that is what you have?

1996_XJ
11-02-2015, 04:10 PM
OK, but I have one question for you. The D44 you list in your info did not come on the 96. Are you sure that is what you have?

No it's not a D44 and I don't know why I put that in the specs. Maybe I was too far gone that night, lol. Actually I think it is the Chrysler 8.25 rear end.

4.3LXJ
11-02-2015, 04:37 PM
That does make a difference. Those wheel bearings have no inner race, the rollers ride on the axle itself. I still think it is a wheel bearing, but make sure the bearing surface is not pitted

1996_XJ
11-02-2015, 05:28 PM
It'll be a few days before I will have time to look at this but I'll let ya'll know what I find, thanks.