PDA

View Full Version : Flexplate alignment?

StumpyXJ69
10-29-2015, 08:06 AM
I replaced engine in my 89 jeep xj, it will start and idle fine, but when you open the throttle, acts like it is choking out. It will not rev up at all. I have checked timing several times, checked all wires and hose connections, and everything I can think to check. I changed flexplate from the old engine. I noticed the bolt holes don't line up unless it was in a certain position. Is there more than one spot where all the holes line up? I am wondering if maybe it is off, throwing the crank sensor off making it run like this. I am lost on this. I have changed the intake and throttle body, same results. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :mad:

bluedragon436
10-29-2015, 08:11 AM
When I swapped engine out on co-workers 89, we used the old flex plate and IIRC it only lined up one way, as far as the bolt holes lining up... I'll have to go and check in my books and see what it says for sure on that though... The Renix setup is kind of a PITA as far as I'm concerned though... lol

StumpyXJ69
10-29-2015, 08:13 AM
yes it is a pita. I am sure it is something simple, but it is driving me crazy.

4.3LXJ
10-29-2015, 09:43 AM
That sounds like you have a throttle position sensor issue. Here is an article on how to reset it.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15933

StumpyXJ69
10-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Thanks, I will give it a try.