PDA

View Full Version : No start. Replaced CSP. ASD and fuel pump relays clicking?

Wolfie
10-27-2015, 12:46 PM
o back in March my XJ died while driving. Like totally out of the blue. And wtih college and other responsibilities I've been too busy to fix it. Well I'm moving soon so it needs to be fixed.

So I replaced right after it happened I replaced the distributor cap, plugs, and wires. And still nothing. So I parked it in my garage. Yesterday I replaced the crankshaft positions sensor.

Mind you before I replaced the crankshaft position sensor my new issue didn't exist. My new issue is when I turn the key to on I get a loud fast clicking noise from the auto shutdown relay and fuel pump relay. I have switched them out with different relays and still nothing. I have also been cleaning grounds and checking wires with no luck.

Also when I crank over the engine my speedo jumps around.

I've been reading as many threads as I can on many different forums about this issue. And I'm stumped.

Please help me.

4.3LXJ
10-27-2015, 03:17 PM
Do you have an antitheft device?

Wolfie
10-27-2015, 03:19 PM
Do you have an antitheft device?
Not that I know of. I'm going to say no. Because I haven't found anything related to having one.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
10-27-2015, 03:23 PM
If the ASD is clicking like a rattle snake, then that will mess with the computer and you won't be able to start because of the intermittent current. But you already know that. First thing to check is your grounds. Take them apart, clean them up and we can go from there. Also make sure the battery has sufficient voltage. I assume it turns over?

Wolfie
10-27-2015, 03:43 PM
If the ASD is clicking like a rattle snake, then that will mess with the computer and you won't be able to start because of the intermittent current. But you already know that. First thing to check is your grounds. Take them apart, clean them up and we can go from there. Also make sure the battery has sufficient voltage. I assume it turns over?
Yep it turns over. I have the battery charging right now(I'm at work).

For cleaning of the grounds for some is shooting PB blaster on it ok or is there a preferred method? Something I know I should know but I guess I'm drawing a blank.

4.3LXJ
10-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Get the contact areas down to bare metal

Wolfie
10-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Get the contact areas down to bare metal
I'm going to assume I did the correct grounds (two on engine block and the one near the battery? Any more that I missed?) It's still clicking.

Also something I'm not sure if I mentioned but even when the relay is pulled there is still a clicking noise?

denverd1
10-29-2015, 09:04 AM
Yep it turns over. I have the battery charging right now(I'm at work).

For cleaning of the grounds for some is shooting PB blaster on it ok or is there a preferred method? Something I know I should know but I guess I'm drawing a blank.

a sanding drum on a dremel works like a charm. so does sandpaper and elbow grease

Wolfie
10-29-2015, 09:45 AM
a sanding drum on a dremel works like a charm. so does sandpaper and elbow grease
I used a file I had and was able to clean up the grounds I think. But I'm not sure if I got all the grounds that I needed to?

4.3LXJ
10-29-2015, 09:48 AM
Can you verify you have currant to the #30 terminal on the relay?

Wolfie
10-30-2015, 09:04 AM
Not gonna lie I'm not really sure how to do that.

Wolfie
10-30-2015, 01:58 PM
So I'm not sure how I fixed it but the relay noises are gone. I'm still back and square 1 though. It wants to start and it might start for a second but dies. So I'm not sure what would be causing that then?

4.3LXJ
10-30-2015, 02:21 PM
Can you restart immediately?

Wolfie
10-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Can you restart immediately?
Yes but again it doesn't really start. Like its firing like it wants to start. And it might start. But if I let go of the key it dies.

Oh and sometimes there's a nasty grinding noise?

4.3LXJ
10-30-2015, 02:28 PM
You will have to figure out if it is spark or fuel. But just for giggles, with the key on, depress the skinny pedal and then let off. Then try to start

Wolfie
10-30-2015, 02:36 PM
You will have to figure out if it is spark or fuel. But just for giggles, with the key on, depress the skinny pedal and then let off. Then try to start
I don't think its fuel. I can smell fuel and it will flood if I push on the gas when trying to start.

So let's say it is spark. And like I said before it has a new cap plugs and wires. Don't remember if I replaced the rotor. But either way what else could have taken a dump?

Wolfie
10-30-2015, 02:49 PM
Could the distributor be dead? I did in fact replace the cap and rotor. New wires. And the spark plugs look fine. So could that have died? $40 from AutoZone isn't bad.

denverd1
10-30-2015, 03:54 PM
your 95 should have an actual distributor. you can pull the center wire and hold it 1/2" away from where it plugs into the dizzy. crank it over and you should see a bright blue spark arcing to the dizzy.

wouldn't hurt to take the dizzy cap off and inspect the rotor and its contacts. they're kinda flimsy and do break on occasion. would be a quick check just to be sure

Mudderoy
10-30-2015, 04:00 PM
Did he check fuel pressure? Cam Position Sensor?

Wolfie
10-30-2015, 04:07 PM
Did he check fuel pressure? Cam Position Sensor?
I did check fuel pressure. It was 41 psi. And I'm assuming the post above yours is talking on how to check the cam position sensor?

denverd1
10-30-2015, 04:09 PM
my post was regarding getting spark to your dizzy....

No way to check CPS i don't think** would it show on a code reader? quick google says yes. Have your codes pulled if you don't have a reader. May be P0320 code for CPS. But pull a code sheet for yours

Wolfie
10-30-2015, 04:13 PM
my post was regarding getting spark to your dizzy....

No way to check CPS i don't think** would it show on a code reader? quick google says yes. Have your codes pulled if you don't have a reader. May be P0320 code for CPS. But pull a code sheet for yours
Oh ok I gotcha. I'll go and check that.

If the CPS is crap because of having to remove the distributor would it be smarter to replace the whole thing?

Mudderoy
10-30-2015, 04:16 PM
CPS is on the back of the motor, CKS (Hell I can't remember) is inside the distributor cap. Probably the easiest sensor to replace.

There's supposed to be a test procedure for both I believe.

Wolfie
10-30-2015, 04:18 PM
CPS is on the back of the motor, CKS (Hell I can't remember) is inside the distributor cap. Probably the easiest sensor to replace.

There's supposed to be a test procedure for both I believe.
Replaced the one behind the motor. And is the one the distributor easy to replace? What is the likely hood the distributor itself is toast?

denverd1
10-30-2015, 04:19 PM
Replaced the one behind the motor. And is the one the distributor easy to replace? What is the likely hood the distributor itself is toast?

Cam position sensor is in the dizzy and should be easy although I haven't done it

nickxj94
10-30-2015, 10:43 PM
Just replace the entire distributor. It's actually cheaper at AutoZone and lifetime warranty. I just did on mine w few months ago. My cam position sensor acutely broke inside dizzy.

Wolfie
10-31-2015, 07:40 AM
Good news. So I managed to get the XJ started and running. Super happy moment. It's the distributor. Or at least the cam shaft position sensor. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it started.

I did purchase a new distributor and will be putting it in soon hopefully.

oderdene
10-31-2015, 09:18 AM
Good news. So I managed to get the XJ started and running. Super happy moment. It's the distributor. Or at least the cam shaft position sensor. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it started.

I did purchase a new distributor and will be putting it in soon hopefully.

Good to hear that.

4.3LXJ
10-31-2015, 10:47 AM
Glad you got it figured out

Wolfie
10-31-2015, 10:50 AM
Glad you got it figured out
Me too! Thank you everyone or the help! I greatly appreciate it!

denverd1
11-03-2015, 04:36 PM
:thumbsup:

Wolfie
11-04-2015, 09:39 AM
So it's been running ok since Friday. Today however I jumped in and it started then died and I heard relay clicking again? So I checked it's just the fuel pump relay?

Without making a new thread what would cause this? Did the usual switching of relays. Made sure everything is plugged in. Any suggestions?

denverd1
11-04-2015, 09:40 AM
battery charged? sounds silly, but low voltage will do it too

Wolfie
11-04-2015, 09:43 AM
battery charged? sounds silly, but low voltage will do it too
It was turning over like it was.

I had to get a ride to class. So I can't diagnose right this minute.

So check battery? Anything else?

denverd1
11-04-2015, 10:10 AM
you tighten down dizzy, secure cap all that good stuff? I'd go back to the dizzy and give it a once over

Wolfie
11-04-2015, 10:13 AM
you tighten down dizzy, secure cap all that good stuff? I'd go back to the dizzy and give it a once over
I actually hadn't replaced it yet. So I guess I need to do that today then.

I'm assuming my camshaft position sensor would be the cause of my grief?

Besides the dizzy and the battery is there anything else that would cause my issues?

prerunner1982
11-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Try the same trick of unplugging the cam sensor and plugging it back in. It could be toast now though. I would replace the distributor and then see what happens. Without fixing a known problem you are just chasing your tail trying to track down another possible fault.

Wolfie
11-04-2015, 12:36 PM
So a bit more info from this morning. It started and died instantly. When it died with the key still in the on position I could hear a relay clicking quickly. I went under the hood and pulled the fuel pump relay which is where I could hear the clicking.

The clicking stopped and I could hear the pump engage. Unlike last time if I let it click it would not stop after a certain amount of time.

I am assuming it's my camshaft position sensor and not the crankshaft because like I said it's new. However if it is the crankshaft again I guess buying another new one isn't the end of the world. Or maybe a used one?

Last time when I got it running all I did was unplug the camshaft sensor and it started and the clicking stopped. which is why I think that's the issue.

Tonight I will nut up and change the distributor. But while I'm messing around with all that stuff is there anything else I need to check?

Wolfie
11-04-2015, 12:48 PM
Try the same trick of unplugging the cam sensor and plugging it back in. It could be toast now though. I would replace the distributor and then see what happens. Without fixing a known problem you are just chasing your tail trying to track down another possible fault.
I completely agree. And I know I shouldn't be asking more questions without having my known issue fixed. I'm just trying to figure out what else I can do while I'm already under the hood ya know?

oderdene
11-04-2015, 05:14 PM
Check the base of big fuses in PDC, pull the fuse and push contact with small flat screwdriver. If it move down it may be reason.

long ago, one of connectors of big fuse moved down, bad contact with fuse and made a similar issue

from samsung

Wolfie
11-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Ok so I was finally able to change the distributor. It wants to start. But the fuel relay is still making noise?

So I've put a new CPS, CKS, distributor, cap and rotor. Plus I've cleaned grounds.

So check to make sure the connections are good for the fuses and relays. And to make sure the battery is charged. Anything else?

Cause it was running. And after the relay started clicking again I switched relays like last time. And still a no go. It does stop if I pull the relay. And you can hear the fuel pump run. Also the clicking will stop after a little while and I can hear the fuel pump engage?

Wolfie
11-12-2015, 08:57 AM
Forgot to add that when I pull the fuel pump relay and the clicking stops I can put it back in and it won't make the clicking noise.

Wolfie
11-13-2015, 10:01 AM
I have no idea what else to do. I've checked everything I was told to check. What else can I do to get this thing running? Anything?

Wolfie
11-13-2015, 10:11 AM
Ok because I got pissed I pulled the relay and tried to start the jeep. Holy cow. If it weren't for the fact that I think it'd flooded the engine I think she woulda started.

Wolfie
11-13-2015, 10:57 AM
So ground still? Maybe the ECU is fried? Fuel pump?

Wolfie
11-20-2015, 01:33 AM
I redid all the grounds at the dip stick mount. And now it's running fine.