PDA

View Full Version : 2000 xj no start

Djkd20q
10-06-2015, 06:50 AM
Ok guys, have posted this already on NAXJA, but not getting very many responses, my '00 XJ got an engine swap from another 2000 4.0, known good engine, will not start now, positive all plugs are hooked up, good fuel, no spark at all, tested w/spark tester, jumper wires, against cleaned block, nothing, cam sensor has been swapped, crank sensor is new, getting power to it, and signal from it, has a brand new battery in it, the odometer reads NO BUS after about 3 seconds, have tried new spark plugs, 02 sensors are hooked up, have to put in neutral to crank, my uncle who has it at his auto shop says the PO installed or had installed an aftermarket alarm that was removed, he thinks it is with that or some sort of security problem, his Co-Owner says the engine is not communicating with the computer, we have swapped PCM's from two known good '00 XJ's, still nothing.

Any advise is good advice! I would like to drive this jeep as my DD(I'm 16), I already have a '98 XJ on 31's, 3 inch, and do all the work on both, except now my '00 is at my uncles shop because it just has me flustered, so I would say I am pretty knowledgeable on Cherokee's.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mudderoy
10-06-2015, 07:01 AM
Ok guys, have posted this already on NAXJA, but not getting very many responses, my '00 XJ got an engine swap from another 2000 4.0, known good engine, will not start now, positive all plugs are hooked up, good fuel, no spark at all, tested w/spark tester, jumper wires, against cleaned block, nothing, cam sensor has been swapped, crank sensor is new, getting power to it, and signal from it, has a brand new battery in it, the odometer reads NO BUS after about 3 seconds, have tried new spark plugs, 02 sensors are hooked up, have to put in neutral to crank, my uncle who has it at his auto shop says the PO installed or had installed an aftermarket alarm that was removed, he thinks it is with that or some sort of security problem, his Co-Owner says the engine is not communicating with the computer, we have swapped PCM's from two known good '00 XJ's, still nothing.

Any advise is good advice! I would like to drive this jeep as my DD(I'm 16), I already have a '98 XJ on 31's, 3 inch, and do all the work on both, except now my '00 is at my uncles shop because it just has me flustered, so I would say I am pretty knowledgeable on Cherokee's.

Josh had a strange no start problem with is 99, NO BUS as well I think. It was the speed sensor on the transfer case.

Djkd20q
10-06-2015, 07:15 AM
For real, that's nuts, something I will offer up to my uncle, thanks Mudderoy!

Djkd20q
10-06-2015, 07:19 AM
But it also did run and drive fine when it had the original engine, but it had a tooth rattling knock from broken piston skirts

Brasscatz
10-06-2015, 08:25 AM
You might also want to double check that all connectors are clean and firmly connected. These "no bus" issues can be a real huge PITA to figure out.

Mudderoy
10-06-2015, 08:30 AM
Oh no! Dylan I have the problem about not reading the last sentences of emails, and I guess posts.

You may have noticed we have a 18 years old, or older policy. It's that whole Internet and kids things. Since we picked 18 as our number for our policy we have to enforce it, or jeopardize the site.

I'm going to disable your account, but please consider coming back when you hit that magic 18! I hope you understand. You might ask you uncle to start an account here and he could post for you.

Good luck on the Jeep issue and thanks for taking the time to join :xjtalk: