PDA

View Full Version : 93 XJ engine swap!?!?!?! HEEELLLPPP!!

black_mcguyver
09-29-2015, 11:58 AM
Hey y'all I'm in need of help I bought a 1993 4.0 Jeep Cherokee 2door that is rolling murphys law. Long story short the engine is gone and trying to find a 1993 engine is impossible so I need to do a swap I need to know everything that I need to do. (First XJ and First motor swap). I know where I can get a 1996 4.0 but its in a ZJ. What will I need as far the swap. Also the person I bought it some way or another put in a starter bypass plunger so I'm thinking I will need to replace the ignition as well. So if anyone is near Oxford,MS want to help let me know I got a steak and glass of whiskey with your name on it.

Mudderoy
09-29-2015, 01:46 PM
I'm not an expert on pre 97, but I believe ANY 4.0L out of an XJ will work.

You'll need to use YOUR sensors. Everything should bolt right on. Someone correct me here but isn't there a boss or two that is different on the grand 4.0l?

I would stay away from the 2000 and 2001 4.0l because of the head that is prone to cracking. 1995 I believe is your best year engine, as far as flow rates through the head.

:welcome: to the site!

drakan1908
09-29-2015, 06:46 PM
You'll need to use YOUR sensors. Everything should bolt right on. Someone correct me here but isn't there a boss or two that is different on the grand 4.0l?

:welcome: to the site!

I thought ZJ and XJ 4.0 were the same up until 99 when they went with distributorless ignition.

sent from a van down by the river

black_mcguyver
09-29-2015, 08:59 PM
So the mounts are ok and the exhaust clearance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

black_mcguyver
09-30-2015, 02:52 PM
Ok guys we have motor I'm going to give a once over make sure we got fire air gas rolling before I pull it do I to get all the sensors from it or do I need use mine and also do I need to take the fuse box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk