PDA

View Full Version : 96 xj radiator problem

08grand
09-27-2015, 12:29 PM
So, last weekend I changed out the radiator in my xj. New hoses and new cap were also put on. On the test run everything seemed great except fluid was pushing from under the cap. Me and the guy at autozone figured the cap was faulty and exchanged it. We both looked for any strange nicks or deformations on the neck and didn't find any. Next day the new cap did the same thing. Went back and they said to pull the radiator and they'd warranty it. That was on Tuesday morning. That afternoon I changed out the new cap for my old one left over from the radiator swap. It held pressure until this morning and then it started leaking. My questions are: has anyone else ever had this problem and what was the solution? Who has the best deals on all metal radiators? I'm not spending an hour to put another plastic neck radiator in that might fail the same way. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoneWithTheWind
09-27-2015, 01:17 PM
I don't know what parts stores you have in your area, but my local auto zone is only worth going to if you just need a qt of oil. I had bad overheating issues, and a lot of stopleak had been put in my radiator. I bought a omix ada 2 core radiator from 4wd. I flushed the engine, and flushed it again after I removed the radiator. i installed the new radiator, and it's been running nice and cool. I'd get my money back and try somewhere else. This might not help you too much, I just don't like auto zone. :)

08grand
09-27-2015, 01:21 PM
Napa, oreilly, az

GoneWithTheWind
09-27-2015, 02:10 PM
Napa might be good. If your not in too big a hurry you could order one from 4wd. If you order one, don't except delivery until you make sure it was packed properly and doesn't have a lot of bent fins. I had to send the first one back. I had no problems with the second one.

4.3LXJ
09-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Something I think you should check is if you have exhaust gasses in the coolant. You might be building up excess pressure from a bad head gasket

08grand
09-27-2015, 04:54 PM
I agree 4.3LXJ. I found this how to while researching today. http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/jeep/4.0L/how-to-test-a-blown-head-gasket-1
I'll be doing the first 3 this evening.

GoneWithTheWind
09-27-2015, 05:02 PM
This is why I like this site, I'm always learning. Thank you!

Mudderoy
09-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Yeah if you think about it the cap is supposed to hold pressure to a certain PSI if it's not then it's faulty or the pressure is greater than it's design.

08grand
09-28-2015, 06:48 PM
Well, I've checked the oil for fluid and it's clear. Cranking it with the cap off doesn't make fluid shoot out. The chemical block test came back as negative for exhaust gas. After returning the test kit to o'reillys, I bought what looks like a better radiator cap and am now running with it for a couple of days. If I'm still having the same issue by the weekend, I'll be doing a compression test. I think the chemical test is definitive for an exhaust gas leak.

So, anyone know of any good deals on an all metal 3 core? Or, even brands to avoid?

08grand
10-04-2015, 09:26 AM
New radiator cap from o'reillys fixed the problem.