PDA

View Full Version : AW4 Transmission Shuddering

Hawkeye-Harris
09-26-2015, 10:14 PM
I took the Jeep on a road trip of about 190 miles and this happened three times, Always under throttle up a slight incline. The trans gives a medium thump-bump feeling and then shudders briefly, then everything is okay. Other times I've had it opened up even more going up a long grade without any symptoms at all. Twice it was just shifting into OD, the last time in was in OD at about 50 MPH.

Do I need to adjust the TV cable or is my tranny going?

Thanks for your advice.

bluedragon436
09-26-2015, 10:21 PM
I'd say it'd certainly be worth a try to adjust the TV cable and see if it seems to remedy the issue... I'm assuming the transmission is the only thing that is shuddering, and not the engine, was there any fluctuation in the RPM's when this shuddering occurred??

Brasscatz
09-26-2015, 10:43 PM
How old are your driveshaft U-Joints? Transmission mount?

Hawkeye-Harris
09-26-2015, 10:59 PM
I think the shuddering is just a natural reaction of the bump-thump, like and after shock, so-to-speak. It feels like the tranny is jumping in and out of gear, real instantaneously like.

I bought the truck about 7 weeks ago now and have not done a whole lot of work on it. I just needed it to get me through harvest season before it started breaking and it has.

drakan1908
09-27-2015, 06:12 AM
Could be the torque converter locking and unlocking.

sent from a van down by the river

Mudderoy
09-27-2015, 08:08 AM
I'll guess. Bands not grabbing, slipping.

Hawkeye-Harris
09-27-2015, 06:40 PM
I checked the fluid level and there was none on the stick! I always check it and did so before my road trip on friday and it was okay, it's always okay…. So now I add ½ quart and look at the stick, it's just showing on the stick so I add another ½ quart and check, but now its over-filled by about the same amount on the stick as the Add hash mark is long. Tomorrow I'll give it a test drive and see what's what.

4.3LXJ
09-27-2015, 10:15 PM
I was wondering if it was low

Hawkeye-Harris
09-29-2015, 03:34 PM
I logged in, wrote a my reply and when I tried to post it the system logged me out and I lost all my reply!

Mudderoy
09-29-2015, 04:14 PM
I logged in, wrote a my reply and when I tried to post it the system logged me out and I lost all my reply!

If you're using a computer (not a phone) you should see a check box that says "Keep me logged in" or something to that effect. Check it otherwise you'll get logged out after awhile.

It may be on the phone as well, I just never access the site that way.

Hawkeye-Harris
09-29-2015, 06:54 PM
If you're using a computer (not a phone) you should see a check box that says "Keep me logged in" or something to that effect. Check it otherwise you'll get logged out after awhile.

Thank you. I'm on a laptop. On this unit the 'keep me logged in' is always magically checked. :)

Hawkeye-Harris
09-29-2015, 06:56 PM
Today I went to town for another set of wheel bearings, and on the way back the truck exhibited the behavior again. This time I was ready for it and watched to see if the tach was effected. It was and I saw it drop ~200rpm sudden like.

So now I know it is engine related and not the tranny. Now, how do I determine which system it is? Is it the ignition, fuel or some sensor gone awry?

4.3LXJ
09-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Check engine light? Any codes? That is always the first place to start

Hawkeye-Harris
09-29-2015, 09:23 PM
The first day I brought the truck home I tried to get some codes using the check engine light. Weren't none 'cuz there weren't no light. :D
Of the research I've done on the web since: Renix has no check engine light. But if this one does, it ain't work'n. ;)

Hawkeye-Harris
10-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Driven three days now without any problems at all, no hiccups. Three days ago it turned cold here and I was thinking maybe something was breaking down in the hot, under-hood temperatures.

When I get some time I need to start checking sensors with a multimeter.

Hawkeye-Harris
04-19-2016, 08:34 PM
This turned out to be a dirty TPS connector. It has been six months without a single hiccup.