PDA

View Full Version : Vibrations from 0-20mph

nhidden31
09-17-2015, 12:32 PM
Hi all. First post here, with a question. I'm usually pretty good at finding the source of a mechanical problem, but this has me stumped. From a dead stop, like a stop light/sign, I'm getting some vibrations until around 20mph or so that feels like its coming from the front driver side area. Thought it was the hub, so i checked. Had some play so i swapped it out. But it still does it. Looked and looked for something that may have rattled itself loose somehow, but nothing. My xj does have a 4.5" lift and i just used the transfer case drop for now. Could that be my vibration finally showing up after 4 or 5 months of smooth riding? Next thought was the axle shaft u joint. No play in that, but with all the weight on it, i wouldnt figure it would even if it was bad. Any other way of checking those u joints?

Mudderoy
09-17-2015, 01:08 PM
Hi all. First post here, with a question. I'm usually pretty good at finding the source of a mechanical problem, but this has me stumped. From a dead stop, like a stop light/sign, I'm getting some vibrations until around 20mph or so that feels like its coming from the front driver side area. Thought it was the hub, so i checked. Had some play so i swapped it out. But it still does it. Looked and looked for something that may have rattled itself loose somehow, but nothing. My xj does have a 4.5" lift and i just used the transfer case drop for now. Could that be my vibration finally showing up after 4 or 5 months of smooth riding? Next thought was the axle shaft u joint. No play in that, but with all the weight on it, i wouldnt figure it would even if it was bad. Any other way of checking those u joints?

It's usually the drive shaft u-joints. You could remove the front drive shaft and see if the vibrations go away. Oh and I doubt your vibration is stopping at 20mph, it's just happening so fast you don't feel it.

Have you had a good look at the u-joints on your axles?

nhidden31
09-17-2015, 01:14 PM
I haven't inspected them thoroughly, although I checked for play. I should replace them before they REALLY need it I guess lol. I just haven't ruled out anything else since there was no play.

Mudderoy
09-17-2015, 01:21 PM
I haven't inspected them thoroughly, although I checked for play. I should replace them before they REALLY need it I guess lol. I just haven't ruled out anything else since there was no play.

Have you verified your rear drive shaft angle is correct? This can cause vibrations. A transfer case drop doesn't mean the angles are correct. ;o)

nhidden31
09-17-2015, 02:03 PM
I don't really know how to go about doing that... I know I need to do an sye, but I didn't think vibrations would happen within this short time period haha

Mudderoy
09-17-2015, 02:09 PM
I don't really know how to go about doing that... I know I need to do an sye, but I didn't think vibrations would happen within this short time period haha

Check out this :link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7354)

Pinkyman
09-17-2015, 03:40 PM
Takes me back to my high school days........ Take a look and make sure someone didnt stick a couple tape-weights to your driveshaft when you werent looking, lol.

But really, i agree with above when they are pointing towards a U-joint.

Mudderoy
09-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Another thing you can try is flipping the drive shaft over. I would have thought you would have noticed the vibrations right away, but sometimes putting the drive shaft in 180 degrees will make a difference.

Oh my wife's TJ had a strange problem. The bolts holding the straps down over the rear ujoint were lose. Vibrations happened there around 30 mph.

cpttuna
09-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Try rotating tires

XJ Wheeler
09-20-2015, 01:31 AM
Also might be worth while to check out your motor and trans mounts. My trans mount was getting long in the tooth and softened up and this was happening during take off. Fast forward to 1:35. http://youtu.be/3c0HqiB-p28

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.