PDA

View Full Version : Steering a bit wonky after new tires.

Mudderoy
09-10-2015, 08:22 AM
I noticed it as soon as I backed out of the stall at Discount Tires. Something was different about the steering.

I felt like I had to fight it to make it go straight. I had less power too but I attributed that to the increased tired diameter changing the ratio. I mean after all the tires I had on there were almost 4 years old.

I think what I was experience was failure to self center. I knew I had an UCA bushing I needed to replace, so before heading back to work Tuesday I replaced that, and of course Tuesday the UCA bold body side popped. That made the steering feel like I was at the helm of a boat.

I replaced that bolt Tuesday night and steering Wednesday was improved but there is still a tendency for it not to want to return to center on it's own.

I also thought that this might have something to do with the different distances from the Jeep body and the axle sides. The UCA bushing was allowing the passenger side to be about 1/2" closer to the body than the driver's side.

Something I never understood about "toe" measurements is where you measure the toe. What is 1/8" different in the front of the tire from the back at 33" would be less than 1/8" difference on a 35 inch tire.

Would larger diameter tires mean the toe needs to be readjusted compared to the toe being set with older worn tires?

xj-jake
09-10-2015, 08:36 AM
When was the last time you had an alignment done?

My thought here is that if you had the alignment done and the bushings were worn and you didn't know it the steering would be set for that. Now you've replaced these new bushings and the steering components are "where they're supposed to be." And with bigger tires.

I would think you'd want to adjust the toe after going to bigger tires and with all the components you've replaced as far as bushings and whatnot. You don't wanna be chewing up a brand new set of tires because I'm sure they weren't cheap!

Spend the money on an alignment at least for piece of mind so you know things are right and the take it from there.

Mudderoy
09-10-2015, 08:55 AM
When was the last time you had an alignment done?

My thought here is that if you had the alignment done and the bushings were worn and you didn't know it the steering would be set for that. Now you've replaced these new bushings and the steering components are "where they're supposed to be." And with bigger tires.

I would think you'd want to adjust the toe after going to bigger tires and with all the components you've replaced as far as bushings and whatnot. You don't wanna be chewing up a brand new set of tires because I'm sure they weren't cheap!

Spend the money on an alignment at least for piece of mind so you know things are right and the take it from there.

A long time ago. They turned the tie rod maybe once and charged me $89. When I asked them about the camber values, they said it was fine. In other words, I don't want to take the upper and lower control arms off to adjust anything. I think paid alignments are a scam at least where our XJs are concerned.

xj-jake
09-10-2015, 08:59 AM
I stand there and watch them do mine... Your setup is a little different than mine however. When I did the OTK steering they were finishing up and I walked away to pay the man. Got home and they hadn't tightened the lock nuts so I called and bitched and they gave my money back. This is the same place we take all our cars from the dealership....

Brasscatz
09-10-2015, 11:52 AM
You didn't tighten your gear box, did ya? Too tight will cause it to not want to return to center

Mudderoy
09-10-2015, 12:20 PM
You didn't tighten your gear box, did ya? Too tight will cause it to not want to return to center

Yeah I did that once, it was an interesting test drive! :D

Not this time. Drove very different after the new tires as in leaving the tire store.

Brasscatz
09-10-2015, 06:32 PM
Now I'm wondering if it has something to do with your control arm like when that bolt broke, it bent some steering component or something happened because of that failure

4.3LXJ
09-10-2015, 08:31 PM
Tony, I would suggest checking your castor angle. If you have a positive angle, it could give the symptoms you are describing

Mudderoy
09-11-2015, 12:45 AM
Tony, I would suggest checking your castor angle. If you have a positive angle, it could give the symptoms you are describing

I thought about that too Steve, but after fighting with the bushing and putting that control arm I hit the showers. The thing that confused me about the castor is how would it change with new tires.

XJ Wheeler
09-11-2015, 01:23 AM
Could be your smoother new tires aren't keeping your attention any more and you can notice other things now. Your jeep may have been trying to pull the old distraction technique on ya.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
09-11-2015, 06:13 AM
I thought about that too Steve, but after fighting with the bushing and putting that control arm I hit the showers. The thing that confused me about the castor is how would it change with new tires.

The thing is that the old ones were worn in, the new ones not. I know it seems like that shouldn't be, but it can

Mudderoy
09-11-2015, 08:21 AM
Could be your smoother new tires aren't keeping your attention any more and you can notice other things now. Your jeep may have been trying to pull the old distraction technique on ya.

You're joking, right?

XJ Wheeler
09-11-2015, 06:10 PM
You're joking, right?

Lol, no! You know, when one thing is resolved it allows you to notice others. E.g. you fix that squealing alternator then notice the exhaust manifold leaking.